Discussion ANZAC Day - pilgrims to Wellington

Remove this Banner Ad

We looked at that but there are so many great pubs in Well, walking distance from the ground, that watching at Westpac Stadium will be / might be a bit soulless.

Not sure if an AFL game will be broadcast in a local pub though! When I was in NZ in 96 you couldn't get the Grand Final anywhere

There is that to consider. We arrive on Wed so will have time to scope it out.
Here's one for the Ladies. The Saints stay at Rydges and the pool/gym is on the first floor with a big window onto Whitmore Street. I could hardly drag my wide and sister in law away from the view.

I know we still have the Collingwood Friday night match still aead, but the excitement is building for the trip to Wellington and getting to see us there.

I'm pretty damn excited. Leaving on the Thursday arvo, will be good to soak up the atmosphere all of Friday before heading to the dawn service and game on Saturday.

Jealous of you guys heading over.

Hopefully a better effort than tonight. I'm really keen to win one in NZ.

I'm interested to hear your experiences RE. The locals and how they're taking it and whether they've got any real interest in st Kilda.

Just arrived in Wellington, on a nice chilly morning. For Anzac Days game looking sunny with a top of 18.
When you get to the airport, theres advertisement about the game with Roo & Murphy on big posters. Kids in free which is good.

Be there Friday. So looking forward to game and the trip.

Just arrived in Wellington, on a nice chilly morning. For Anzac Days game looking sunny with a top of 18.
When you get to the airport, theres advertisement about the game with Roo & Murphy on big posters. Kids in free which is good.

Be joining you over there tomorrow morning ;)

Getting excited now!

Staying at the Rydges and will be at the post-match function as well. Looking forward to a great weekend I'll be getting there Friday morning.

Third year doing the trip and the thing I can't stress enough is to soak up the atmosphere and wear a Saints scarf in public and get talking to the locals. Also take in the Dawn Service, a very moving morning that packs out the city centre where a majority of us would be staying I imagine.

Should be a great trip and most of all we desperately need a win. The last two years have been unbeliveable and we haven't gotten the chocolates, can only imagine the scenes if we are able to get up.

Booked my under cover seats in grand stand this morning and very helpful lady in membership said that sales of tickets for St Kilda members had already passed last year. Sales have soared in the past 2 weeks with more than 1,210 members already having purchased their tickets. This promises to be a great time for all attending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite a few passengers with Saints scarves, caps, shirts, flags, etc at Tulla this morning. Even a few players checking in. No sign of any navy blue!

Last edited:
Whilst in Wellington I recommend,
- mount victoria lookout. Great veiws of wellington.
- Te Papa museum. They have a Gallipoli exhibition on at the moment.
- Zealandia. See some birds, reptiles etc. Doesnt feel like your so close to the city when your there.
- weta cave workshop. Tours on movie props made here. From lord of the rings, hobbit, avatar, king kong etc.
- cable car. Takes you too botanical gardens , where there's currently a tribute to the soliders lost in world war I.
- national war memorial. They have just opened a monument for the relationship between nz and aus.
- capital market. A food market where theres food from different cultures.
- there also a food night market from 5pm on friday. Just off cuba st. Down a laneway. Went there last time. Was great.

- can also go to an aussie rules game in new Zealand. Saints v carlton on anzac day. ;)

If I was going to Wellington, I would not leave without going to see these guys...

Thanks mate CursingFijian, we'll definitely head to the Tepapa museum to see this exhibition...it looks amazing.

Hubnester I reckon you'll be safe with getting tickets to the after match at the door... I received this in an email from the club this morning-

PLEASE NOTE there has been a change of time with the Official Post Match Function at Shed 6 on Queens Wharf. Ticketing promotes a 5:30pm start time however doors will now be open from4:30pm, with the Anzac Day match between Essendon and Collingwood at the MCG starting from 4:40pm New Zealand time

4.30pm:
Official Post Match @ Shed 6

There will be a post match function where St Kilda supporters can meet the players and watch the Collingwood v Essendon Anzac Day clash. To purchase your tickets head to http://www.saints.com.au/NZ/ticketing-information.

All of you okay with the earthquake?!?!?! #worried :(

Was surprised when we were told of it as we didn't feel a thing.

Wellington is breathtaking flying into, from bays, multiple islands, lakes and houses following the crest of the hillsides, a beautiful city. Looking forward to exploring before tomorrows match.

I think I felt something whilst having a snooze in the sun at the waterfront this morning... no dramas here, everyone out on the town enjoying Wellington's fantastic hospitality
Quake was apparently at 3.37pm.. so I didn't feel it at all. By that stage I was having a kip at the hotel (overnight flight & no sleep had me like a zombie yesterday).

Found a great cafe called Mojo, just on the Waterfront near Rydges Hotel. Superb eggs benedict.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion ANZAC Day - pilgrims to Wellington

Remove this Banner Ad

Back