Anzac Day Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Really like the way Hardingham is playing at the moment. Whenever he goes up to spoil/mark he is affecting the contest.

Has improved his judgement of the ball a lot in a short space of time. His disposal is getting a lot better also.

Stanton was woeful today. Way too many simple errors and I'm getting sick of him. Gut running is pretty much all he provides and unfortunately we have no one else to fill that role.

He never sticks tackles, fumbles the ball on the ground a lot, always ducks his head playing for the free and makes a lot of questionable decisions. His disposal isn't that crash either and please don't mention the 80% efficiency he had today. Cheap 15m backwards passes aren't exactly hard to pull off.

We were in the game all day which showed the overall improvement of the team. Feel as though we are one midfielder short.

The three ruckmen was a failed experiment - What made it worse was Jolly beat all the three rucks by himself.

Ryder has been awful for the last two weeks - I would rest/drop him this week. Give Bellchambers another week - And Hille needs more match practice.

Monfries place in the team must be questioned - Believe it or not - would try Williams in his place.

Lonergan has struggled the last two weeks - although he should do well against the GC.

Melksham is a struggling a little bit - expecially in defensive transition.

Positives

Crameri - Has jumped out of the ground to be a dangerous forward.

Fletcher - Another goog game today and beat Dawes.

Hocking - 2 good tagging jobs - especially today.

Heppell - Composure beyond his years.

Hardingham - Continues to improve each week.

H.Slattery - Looks like he has nailed down the tagging defender position.

Howlett - Last 2 weeks have been good - slowly hitting form.

Mcveigh - Continues to do his job each week.

bellchambers - Developing nicely.

Zaharakis - Continues to improve

Anyone feel that Ryder and Hurley are getting the rough side of the stick from the umpires whenever the ball goes forward?
The umpiring was average for both teams yesterday, but Essendon had less to complain about regarding their 24 free kicks than Collingwood regarding their 16 free kicks. There were a number of missed frees that could have resulted in scores for both teams, and what more does Luke Ball have to do to earn a free kick?

Skill level the only difference today. Was very humbled by listening to Mathouse's speech after the game, there is a lot more to our coaching/game plan than simply copying what they are doing and I think Mick realised that. I only wish we had of hit the lead at some point, we deserved to be in front at a few stages IMO.

There were a number of missed frees that could have resulted in scores for both teams, and what more does Luke Ball have to do to earn a free kick?
Not duck his head?

Skill level the only difference today. Was very humbled by listening to Mathouse's speech after the game, there is a lot more to our coaching/game plan than simply copying what they are doing and I think Mick realised that. I only wish we had of hit the lead at some point, we deserved to be in front at a few stages IMO.

We scored the first point though!

The umpiring was average for both teams yesterday, but Essendon had less to complain about regarding their 24 free kicks than Collingwood regarding their 16 free kicks. There were a number of missed frees that could have resulted in scores for both teams, and what more does Luke Ball have to do to earn a free kick?

Can't believe how poorly Lyon managed Ball and how great an asset he is for you guys.

Far too rounded, level headed and genuine to be at your filthy club.:thumbsu:

Haven't seen anyone mention the fact we were down Windalich, Dempsey and Pears. With poor games from Ryder and Hurley (quieter than usual) we took it up to a full strength pies and really got outplayed in the the first quarter and the last 5 minutes of the last.

So much upside to this team will be an absolute joy to watch for the rest of the year.

We really were 1 tall short. NLM is not a KPP and I just about lost it when Leigh Brown marked it in the square. Pears will add a lot to our team, maybe not this year but next year it looks very promising.

30 pts was not accurate reflection of much of the game. We took it up to the pies but realistically we were not on the same level. Too many key mistakes at key moments in the game. Good experience for big games!

Positives:
Pressure, contests and heart.
Solid game plan with defined roles and KPI
Great games from hocking, zaka and belly.
Strong defensive efforts for most of the game
Fantastic forward pressure
Leg speed on fast breaks

Negatives:
Hille/Ryder - looked lost, under done or not interested. Not sure about Ryder.. maybe he only stars when he is the only big man doing what he likes??? Just seems disinterested at times and goes up with one hand or whatever and doesn't work hard enough imho. Hille should get better for the run but also looked a little lost with less time through the middle. I am now of the thought we can't play 3 rucks but I don't know whether belly is the auto drop.. he was good yesterday while the other 2 looked stale.

Reimers - I really liked this bloke when he first popped on the scene but too selfish for mine. Needed to be bought on much much earlier, I hate the sub rule for this reason. Very hard to wait for 3qtrs and then run on keen to make an impact! We all saw the moment but don't like the choice still. Maybe stays for a full game and re-assess.

Monfries - Out of sorts.. too much flying and not enough crumbing!!! Needs to realise he is the SMALL man and play like it.. not trying to be KPF all the time. Very poor game in terms of impact although, as always, forward pressure was good.

Stanton - No more can be said, an ugly ugly day for him. If we could trade him, maybe we should LOOK at it, depending on the terms offered. He is soft, very soft, makes poor poor decisions and is a squib. Not a hard bone in that man's body and being beaten by TOOVEY 1 on 1??????? Does NOT get any lower than that. Very good B grade player but we need an A grader to fill his role.

All in all I thought we showed spirit and heart and were beaten by a better team. No shame in our performance today, I was very very happy to clap the boys off knowing they gave it all! Another year and some more maturity and we will have ourselves a competition!

Another thing to note yesterday is that they were at full strength and traveling beautifully. Dream draw, rested their ruckman against the Tigers.

We've got a few guys to come back which gives us a lot of scope for improvement.

Pears,Davey to come back in.

Winderlich and Dempsey missing but will be back next year.

Welsh can come in and do a job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think to come so close to the bench mark with some very basic mistakes is very encouraging.

Area's which cost us were, Stantons kick in which is a shocker given the whole square to work with.

Three third quarter goals to Collingwood where the corridor and goal square was left unprotected resulting in 3 easy pies goals. Those 3 goals were at my end and seriously it was like slow motion watching them as they were always going to happen.

Also watching Collingwood and playing reactive and nervous footy in the first quarter put us behing the eight ball and playing catch up all day.

Also considering no influence from Ryder and Hurley at all and limited from Hille there is a lot of improvement.

To the above poster into Reimers. It's extremely hard to sit and watch a game for nearly 2 hours then have to come on and make an impact. I would question why a bloke who has earnt his spot by getting plenty of it in the reserves is not able to use that form when promoted.

A holding the ball against Harry O in the forward pocket in the last wouldn't have hurt either.

Collingwood are a very good side and all in all it was a great game to watch.

Thought it was a great game and the 30 point margin flattered us.

Essendon has improved dramatically, wasnt really seeing you guys as a finals prospect pre season. Hird has got you up and going but I also think the spine you have put in place pre his arrival will pay off in the long term.

Went to Ess v Carl also and am a big fan of Heppells. A player so inexperienced having the poise and time he has so early means a big long term future to me. Pendles had the same sort of time when he started. Also Crameri and Hardingham have added a lot

I think you will surpass Carltons rebuild as time goes by which everyone would agree is a good thing

My only concern would be you are still in a honeymoon period with Hird and have obviously worked v hard over the pre season and in the NAB cup. Its a long way up from 14th and if you have peaked early there may be some down time during the year

Dont believe any of the garbage written about Collingwood only doing what they have to. I dont believe in that mentality. What we may be is a little behind you in our preperation due to later start to the year and Hird having you guys up and about v early

Still plenty of sides have come from way back to claim a top 4 spot the next year. So somewhat to my suprise Essendon has entered my list of possibles for top 4. You may well win the next 4 and if you do early wins set you up for a challenge this year

Dunno about top 4. We'll win the next 4 (or close to) and we'll be in there but I think we'll struggle in our last month or two, GC.

Finishing killed us. Leroy Jetta was 3 straight kicks away from being the best forward on the ground through the first 3 quarters and he wasn't the only one. Symptomatic of a young side prepared to work hard but not quite with that class, confidence or poise. Ryder & Monfries non-factors - both needed to just keep working & presenting (as Dawes/Cloke did) and would've got their rewards eventually, had things swung our way. Reimers probably should've come on a bit earlier, he was scratchy & needed time.

Held Swan, Cloke, Dawes, Didak & Thomas reasonably well despite them padding it out in junk time. Good defensive effort from most of the side. Pendles simply too good, Shaw very good, Wellingham & Ball did very well too.
Pies did enough. Rattled for a while there, but eventually we couldn't put the score on the board. There was a period in (I think) the 3rd quarter where we had it forward for 10 minutes & ended up with only a point. That killed us. Kick 2 there = well & truly in the game.

Need to come back & win a couple straight here. Good sides rebound & get the job done v poor sides, we just haven't done that recently.

Another thing to note yesterday is that they were at full strength and traveling beautifully. Dream draw, rested their ruckman against the Tigers.

We've got a few guys to come back which gives us a lot of scope for improvement.

Pears,Davey to come back in.

Winderlich and Dempsey missing but will be back next year.

Welsh can come in and do a job.

I wouldnt say we were traveling beautfully, we've been having those "lapses" were we get 5 goals up and relax, we let port get 5 unanswered goals against us a few weks ago, i think we let the tiges kick 3 unanswered as well, we're a long way behind most teams fittness wise due to our interupted pre season, our finals form of 2010 wouldve beaten our current form by 12 goals IMO.

fact is in 2011 we've beaten up on 3 easy beats and struggled somewhat against quality teams in you guys and the blues.

I really thought we lost the game early. I was there and to my disgust had an annoying Collingwood supporter who'd purchased an Essendon '3 at the G' membership. He took great delight in cheering and laughing at the ease of Collingwoods first 4 goals. We tried in vain to stay in the game I thought and did well to come back but you cant let a side like that get away to such a good start. A little worried about the form of Monfries and Ryder but hopefully they can bounce back next week against the Gold Coast and we have a good win. Really loved the game of Heppell - the kid will be a star.

That wasnt the idiot in the Collingwood jumper who would stand up turn around and clap his hands furiously after the feral's got a goal? (Olympic Stand bottom deck)??

Thought it was a great game and the 30 point margin flattered us.

Essendon has improved dramatically, wasnt really seeing you guys as a finals prospect pre season. Hird has got you up and going but I also think the spine you have put in place pre his arrival will pay off in the long term.

Went to Ess v Carl also and am a big fan of Heppells. A player so inexperienced having the poise and time he has so early means a big long term future to me. Pendles had the same sort of time when he started. Also Crameri and Hardingham have added a lot

I think you will surpass Carltons rebuild as time goes by which everyone would agree is a good thing

My only concern would be you are still in a honeymoon period with Hird and have obviously worked v hard over the pre season and in the NAB cup. Its a long way up from 14th and if you have peaked early there may be some down time during the year

Dont believe any of the garbage written about Collingwood only doing what they have to. I dont believe in that mentality. What we may be is a little behind you in our preperation due to later start to the year and Hird having you guys up and about v early

Still plenty of sides have come from way back to claim a top 4 spot the next year. So somewhat to my suprise Essendon has entered my list of possibles for top 4. You may well win the next 4 and if you do early wins set you up for a challenge this year

Appreciate the balanced comments, I think Top 4 for us this season is yet to be validated. need to keep improving.

Cant see anyone beating the Pies this year, Hawks losing to the Cats means few real challengers as you have the Cats measure.

I wouldnt say we were traveling beautfully, we've been having those "lapses" were we get 5 goals up and relax, we let port get 5 unanswered goals against us a few weks ago, i think we let the tiges kick 3 unanswered as well, we're a long way behind most teams fittness wise due to our interupted pre season, our finals form of 2010 wouldve beaten our current form by 12 goals IMO.

fact is in 2011 we've beaten up on 3 easy beats and struggled somewhat against quality teams in you guys and the blues.

Don't believe the fitness thing. It's round 5, you have no injuries, your guys are cherry ripe physically. I thought you guys dominated the Blues but in a strange way couldn't put them away.

The game had the most amount of contested possessions every for a dry weather game. It was a fierce contest and you guys weathered the challenge.

You guys just come up against a side which is playing similar footy. We matched you for about 90% and come up short. It's a pretty accurate reflection of where both teams are at.

Can't believe how poorly Lyon managed Ball and how great an asset he is for you guys.

Must have something to do with his education.

Not duck his head?
Luke Ball certainly doesn't duck his head though.
To think that Ball had 22 possessions and 7 tackles in the 2009 Grand Final, yet Ross Lyon only gave him 46% of game time that day is amazing to me. That decision cost them the premiership. Then to top it off, Lyon rejected Collingwood's offer of either Tyson Goldsack or Sharrod Wellingham along with pick #30.
Actually, that's the reason he is at our "filthy" club. He has stated a number of times that he is proud to put on the black and white stripes, and that he wanted to be part of the leadership group at the great club. He will always be remembered now as at least a one-time Collingwood premiership player. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Anzac Day Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back