AOD-9604 not performance enhancing: Evans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He truly believes from some kind of source that he is safe.
Yep. He seems to be very confident indeed. As do a lot of people at the club.

Its very weird if true though because whether something is performance enhancing or not is meant to count for little. This further reinforces to me that the players will escape bans saving the AFL from a PR disaster regarding the Brownlow. The club meanwhile will lose picks for the next few years and will lose its points this year. Hird should be sacked, but he won't be. He should forever be considered a fool or morally bankrupt. Take your pick.
ASADA need to have a very strong case in order to proceed with player bans or the lawyers will have a field day. Unfortunately for them, the confusion over AOD will not allow them that.

99% we'll receive a fine, 70% we'll receive draft sanctions, 10% we'll be stripped of premiership points (this is just my opinion). 0% James Hird will be sacked... in fact, he'll sign a new deal with the club this year (can't wait to see the reaction to that :D) .

The issue is that the AOD banned status could be lifted in the future. WADA/ASADA and the AFL don't want to destroy a club because their research wasn't extensive enough.

LOL what?

You think WADA are going to bend over and say "Yeah, you know what, we don't actually have a full grasp of what is on the banned list and why. You got us this time, Essendon. All power to you. We will lift AOD from the list, ok. "

If the CEO of the club that has been accused of drug cheating says they paid a bunch of people to research the drugs and say they aren't performance enhancing and those researchers have come back and said it's not performance enhancing then surely that is good enough. These people either got paid by the Essendon football club or conducted this research for free and surely an expectation would have been set that if the drugs were found to be performance enhancing they would have handed this evidence to Evans immediately and he still would have made a statement and said that the drug is performance enhancing. This was completely unbiased research clear of funding from anyone with a vested interest in the results.

LOL what?

You think WADA are going to bend over and say "Yeah, you know what, we don't actually have a full grasp of what is on the banned list and why. You got us this time, Essendon. All power to you. We will lift AOD from the list, ok. "
No, but their reputation would be crippled if they were to destroy a club and then find a few months later that the drug that club was done for isn't performance enhancing and retrospectively shouldn't have been on the banned list. Sporting institutions would start to ignore them if they made a blunder like that. Imagine the outrage if we were discussing a club like Manchester Utd or Real Madrid.

Agree, I feel sorry for the players. They're told to trust the club doctors which we can assume is what they have done. It's people like Hird and others (Dank,Robinson etc) that have jeopardised the careers of many players in the aim to win a premiership, yes it is what all people involved at footy clubs strive to do, but if they knew this program was going to be right on the edge then more should have been done. Given danks less then clean past, it seems to be a no brainer.

Which is what the club wants if penalties were to come if it means the players get off.

Yep. He seems to be very confident indeed. As do a lot of people at the club.

ASADA need to have a very strong case in order to proceed with player bans. Unfortunately for them, the confusion over AOD will not allow them that.

99% we'll receive a fine, 70% we'll receive draft sanctions, 10% we'll be stripped of premiership points (this is just my opinion). 0% James Hird will be sacked... in fact, he'll sign a new deal with the club this year.

100% you're not close with those percentages. I'd say it is closer to 99% that the Bombers lose premiership points.

Regardless of justice and right and wrong Andy D is clearly looking out for the bottom line and reputation of the league.

The tipping point has been reached in the PR battle where the AFL has more to lose if you guys do play finals as opposed to not(i.e. losing the general football public, sponsorship revenue etc...). In that case you are officially screwed. No way you guys can play finals. Not a chance. Andy D will make sure of that.

Which is what the club wants if penalties were to come if it means the players get off.
So why is it Robinson was stood down yet people that should have known 100% and most probably organised the regime are able to keep their jobs (Hird, Evans)?

Just for specifics here is the SO definition.

S0. Non-Approved Substances
Any pharmacological substance which is not addressed by any of the subsequent sections of the List and with no current approval by any governmental regulatory health authority for human therapeutic use (e.g drugs under pre-clinical or clinical development or discontinued, designer drugs, substances approved only for veterinary use) is prohibited.

I would also point you to the fact that whether or not the substance is performance enhancing is immaterial:

2.2.2 The success or failure of the Use or Attempted Use of a Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method is not material. It is sufficient that the Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method was Used or Attempted to be Used for an antidoping rule violation to be committed.

I also hazard a guess this becomes important, as AOD is not approved for human use and represents :

4.3.1.2 an actual or potential health risk to the Athlete;

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% you're not close with those percentages. I'd say it is closer to 99% that the Bombers lose premiership points.
I don't think it's that high. You might be getting a bit caught up in the media shitstorm of the last week. There's no current precedent for the stripping of premiership points.

Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic but I think the stripping of points would be an absolute worst case scenario and third in line [in order] behind fines and draft sanctions as the likely punishments. I agree though, the last thing the AFL would want is for us to win the premiership this year.

I'd be super angry if I was an Essendon supporter because in the court of public opinion Jobe is and forever will be guilty in some way, shape or form. I'm not sure he deserves it but it is what it is.
Also, I don't think many people associated with the club truly care about the rep we've copped from this saga. Carlton will always be salary-cap cheating, tanking scum. Richmond will always be the club who's supporters spat on their coach and delivered chicken shit to Punt Road's doorstep. Melbourne will always be tankers. North will always be the poor little brother of the other Melbourne clubs. Now granted the label of "drug cheats" is worse than those insults, but it's just something we're going to have to live with regardless of the outcome.

The "expert" researched AOD prior to 2011 himself and his research concluded the same. Try again

Are we talking about the expert who has tweeted this?

Gary Wittert
@ProfDocHealth

@BombDoe @VinceRugari @ringsau well its S0 & banned - clear all along. Its not proven safe IV. Its not antiobesity. Where's the confusion.
3:11 a.m. Tue, Jul 2

who is this expert? what is this paper? what did he measure? with whom? and how much?

Professor Gary Wittert

Professor Gary Wittert is a graduate of Johannesburg’s University of Witwatersrand who obtained postgraduate training at Christchurch Hospital and Otago University, in New Zealand, at the Harvard Medical, Boston and Oregon Health Sciences University.

He is currently Mortlock Professor of Medicine, and Head of the School of Medicine at the University of Adelaide, Senior Consultant Endocrinologist at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, and a member of the Hanson Research Institute. He is a past President of the Australasian Society for the Study of Obesity, and is currently vice president of the Asia Oceania Association of the Study of Obesity.

Professor Wittert’s research focuses on the relationships between dietary macronutrients, appetite, nutrient-oxidation, and energy expenditure, leptin, uncoupling proteins and the regulation of cellular energy utilisation and the relationships between gonadal hormones and body composition. He is the lead investigator on the Florey Adelaide Male Aging Study (FAMAS), and is also an investigator in the North West Adelaide Obesity and Lifestyle and Environment (NOBLE) Study and the Men in Australia, Telephone Survey (MATeS). He is also the principle investigator of a number of clinical trials of novel drugs to treat obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus.

Professor Wittert has authored over one hundred peer-reviewed papers and book chapters, and is a founding Editor in Chief of the “Journal of Obesity Research and Clinical Practice”.

For you, and the other morons, perhaps because they thought it could give them a legal advantage?

You know, like starting pre season early or doing yoga to increase your core, or some other 'outlandish' routine which every club embarks on in order to gain an edge?

This one just happened to be injected.

And it just happened to be banned under S0.

The banned status of AOD would likely be lifted if it was found to not be performance-enhancing.

No... it wouldnt.

At least not until after it had been approved for human use.

Thats what you guys are stupidly ignoring... YOUR club went around injecting your players with drugs that were not approved for human use.

And they were using them as clinical guinea pigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back