Are Australian cricket fans the worst in the world?

Remove this Banner Ad

Same with Tendulkar in years gone by.
Probably the same with many of the greats. Can see this happening when Bradman got out, too. No proof, but it wouldn't surprise if crowds were comparatively down when Federer was out in the early rounds. Or Tiger Woods missed the cut, Michael Jordan was injured, etc.

People love stars, it's human nature.

Probably the same with many of the greats. Can see this happening when Bradman got out, too. No proof, but it wouldn't surprise if crowds were comparatively down when Federer was out in the early rounds. Or Tiger Woods missed the cut, Michael Jordan was injured, etc.

People love stars, it's human nature.
I'm of the minority I guess, where I love seeing no names or role players stepping up from nowhere.

Not making the finals at home is underperforming I would've thought.

And I reckon England would've slaughtered us.

Losing two home series to India was Langer's death knell as coach.

Losing two home series to India was Langer's death knell as coach.

The first series loss was understandable, the 2nd one wasn't when you compare the strength of both sides as the series went on. Speaking of that 2nd series loss to India, Tim Paine and Justin Langer didn't see eye to eye around how to handle the loss. Below is an excerpt from a recent Dan Brettig article:

Paine had, after the series loss to India, addressed the team: “I said to the boys, ‘It has been a tough series and the bubble tested everyone, but we had a crack, it was disappointing because we had control in the last two Tests but couldn’t get the result we were after.’ At the end I said, ‘We’ll get another crack at it, so go home, dust yourselves off, have a bit of time out,’ and then I added something like, ‘At the end of the day it is not life or death, it’s cricket, it’s sport, it’s a game’.”

That speech was admired by numerous members of the side who had slogged through a difficult series. It was also be an apt summation of the mantra of Paine’s successor Pat Cummins. Langer, though, had other ideas.

“Later that night JL came over to me with those burning eyes and said, ‘Don’t you ever f---ing say that again, it is not just a f---ing game at this level.’ I could feel the heat generating from him, it had been eating away at him. He was having none of it, and he’d got himself really worked up over it. I said, ‘Well, we are just going to have to learn to disagree, it is a game, that’s what I think.’ He grumbled and cursed, but we got on with it.”

Way i see it issue with langer and his supporters is they think its all about attitude not ability, langer truly believes that all time great aussie side cracked some code and won due to their approach and attitude and not just because they were insanely stacked with so many not just great but all time great players so he thinks he can just yell at these blokes till they become superstars.

If any of this was reality and langer could have that level of impact on average players he wouldnt be sitting in commentary this summer he would be coaching england or another test side but he isnt because outside the aussie cricket bubble he is not some highly rated international coach, nobody wants a coach who makes the test skippers job harder than it already is.

Way i see it issue with langer and his supporters is they think its all about attitude not ability, langer truly believes that all time great aussie side cracked some code and won due to their approach and attitude and not just because they were insanely stacked with so many not just great but all time great players so he thinks he can just yell at these blokes till they become superstars.

If any of this was reality and langer could have that level of impact on average players he wouldnt be sitting in commentary this summer he would be coaching england or another test side but he isnt because outside the aussie cricket bubble he is not some highly rated international coach, nobody wants a coach who makes the test skippers job harder than it already is.

100 per cent agree with this.

Mental toughness played a part, sure. You don’t average 50 with the bat or 25 with the ball without being able to withstand pressure and exert it on others.

But it wasn’t Langer and Hayden holding hands for 3 hours a day or Shane Warne barking abuse from 2nd slip etc etc or taking the game seriously to the point of life or death.

It was skill. The ability to marry mental strength with talent.

If it was all the life and death stuff Langer talks about, then the series australia lost or were tested in wouldn’t have happened.

West Indies led by Lara, Walsh and Ambrose drew that incredible 1999 series. India on the back of two of their quietest, most humble players as well as one of their most extroverted, won that 2001 series. England on the back of players who used a tonne of skill and a positive approach with the bat in 2005.

The first series loss was understandable, the 2nd one wasn't when you compare the strength of both sides as the series went on. Speaking of that 2nd series loss to India, Tim Paine and Justin Langer didn't see eye to eye around how to handle the loss. Below is an excerpt from a recent Dan Brettig article:

Paine had, after the series loss to India, addressed the team: “I said to the boys, ‘It has been a tough series and the bubble tested everyone, but we had a crack, it was disappointing because we had control in the last two Tests but couldn’t get the result we were after.’ At the end I said, ‘We’ll get another crack at it, so go home, dust yourselves off, have a bit of time out,’ and then I added something like, ‘At the end of the day it is not life or death, it’s cricket, it’s sport, it’s a game’.”

That speech was admired by numerous members of the side who had slogged through a difficult series. It was also be an apt summation of the mantra of Paine’s successor Pat Cummins. Langer, though, had other ideas.

“Later that night JL came over to me with those burning eyes and said, ‘Don’t you ever f---ing say that again, it is not just a f---ing game at this level.’ I could feel the heat generating from him, it had been eating away at him. He was having none of it, and he’d got himself really worked up over it. I said, ‘Well, we are just going to have to learn to disagree, it is a game, that’s what I think.’ He grumbled and cursed, but we got on with it.”

Daniel Brettig is a sanctimonious nerd but he is right on this occasion.

The thing about Langer is he had all the talent in the world and still managed to almost throw his career away. It wasn’t until he buckled down and gave it his all that he achieved his best. I don’t believe he thinks attitude overcomes ability but he absolutely doesn’t cop players who don’t have the attitude to get the most out of their ability. That makes him intense and probably an arseh*le but he’s not exactly wrong either. The best players hate to lose.

Paine’s attitude sounds a little like Maxwell’s dismissive attitude towards the World Cup that a lot of people criticised.

Last edited:
The thing about Langer is he had all the talent in the world and still managed to almost throw his career away. It wasn’t until he buckled down and gave it his all that he achieved his best. I don’t believe he thinks attitude overcomes ability but he absolutely doesn’t cop players who don’t have the attitude to get the most out of their ability. That makes him intense and probably an arseh*le but he’s not exactly wrong either. The best players hate to lose.

Paige’s attitude sounds a little like Maxwell’s dismissive attitude towards the World Cup that a lot of people criticised.

I don’t buy that first bit.

His debut was in the famous Adelaide test of 1992-93 where West Indies won by a run to prevent australia winning the Frank worrell trophy

Langer made 20 off 79 and 54 off 146 balls and got hit more times than I could count by Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop. He was always an attitude player not a talent player.

His debut was in the famous Adelaide test of 1992-93 where West Indies won by a run to prevent australia winning the Frank worrell trophy

Langer made 20 off 79 and 54 off 146 balls and got hit more times than I could count by Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop. He was always an attitude player not a talent player.
A weird mix of Zen and Aussie aggro.

It was as much his off-field attitude as anything else. He and Martyn had a bit of a party boy reputation, didn't take the game seriously because they knew they had the talent, when he got dropped, it was a wake-up call. Probably went too far the other way, imo, but it absolutely explains his intensity.

I find the recent fascination with the impact of a coach on a cricket as curious. There are no great cricket teams in history without an outstanding captain and players with talent. Coaches still have limited impact on cricket teams, even in modern times. Watching The Test doco I was surprised with the apparent control Langer had over the team. But with or without him as coach - slot Tubby Taylor in to that team as captain and Australia win the Ashes either 3-1 or 4-0

The bloke is an A-grade w***er. You can understand why the players didn't want to play under him.

Everything suggest he's a stubborn born-to-rule style coach who had little to no interest in collaboration, which is outdated in pretty much every sport at this point.

I remember the coverage of the Pakistan series in The Test where Langer asks if players have any feedback for a drill he had run, and him cracking the shits when Khawaja had the audacity to provide constructive criticism.

Granted, reading nuffies on Facebook continuing to harp on with the same stale talking points about Cummins, it's starting to become clear that for the most part, Langer is just something convenient critics can point to, where their actual frustration actually comes from the fact that Cummins (assumedly after liaison with his teammates) dared to have an opinion on climate change.

Comments sections are getting more and more unhinged.

Screenshot_20221120-013227_Facebook.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bloke is an A-grade w***er. You can understand why the players didn't want to play under him.

Everything suggest he's a stubborn born-to-rule style coach who had little to no interest in collaboration, which is outdated in pretty much every sport at this point.

I remember the coverage of the Pakistan series in The Test where Langer asks if players have any feedback for a drill he had run, and him cracking the shits when Khawaja had the audacity to provide constructive criticism.

Granted, reading nuffies on Facebook continuing to harp on with the same stale talking points about Cummins, it's starting to become clear that for the most part, Langer is just something convenient critics can point to, where their actual frustration actually comes from the fact that Cummins (assumedly after liaison with his teammates) dared to have an opinion on climate change.

View attachment 1557427
Considering Cummins works in an industry with a pretty big carbon footprint and is quite wealthy for doing so. Is it any wonder that his opinion is viewed as grandstanding by some people?

View attachment 1557427

I don’t think so. There was a lot more outrage about Cummins in the immediate aftermath of the Langer saga (when nobody had any idea about his opinions on climate change) than there is now. He went from being the most popular cricketer in the country to the most unpopular in the space of a week.

Considering Cummins works in an industry with a pretty big carbon footprint and is quite wealthy for doing so. Is it any wonder that his opinion is viewed as grandstanding by some people?
Oh, I get it. Because he dared to be one of the best cricketers in the world, he doesn't get to have an opinion on climate change.

Doing nothing is better than something, I suppose?
I don’t think so. There was a lot more outrage about Cummins in the immediate aftermath of the Langer saga (when nobody had any idea about his opinions on climate change) than there is now. He went from being the most popular cricketer in the country to the most unpopular in the space of a week.
Do you think it might have blown over a little more quickly if he hadn't commented on climate change?

I did a quick search and found the phrase "captain woke" has been used on this forum unironically over 30 times in the past month.

Oh, I get it. Because he dared to be one of the best cricketers in the world, he doesn't get to have an opinion on climate change.

Doing nothing is better than something, I suppose?
He's not doing anything. If he abstained from the IPL because India burns too much coal, I'd say he was doing something. But that doesn't seem to have been a factor in his announcement.

He's not doing anything. If he abstained from the IPL because India burns too much coal, I'd say he was doing something. But that doesn't seem to have been a factor in his announcement.
I wasn't referring to the IPL, I was referring to sponsor-gate. I don't understand why Cummins doesn't get to have an opinion on climate change, because he's an international cricketer?

1668940188846.png

Shouldn't worry you then should it?
It doesn't, my comment was Considering Cummins works in an industry with a pretty big carbon footprint and is quite wealthy for doing so. Is it any wonder that his opinion is viewed as grandstanding by some people?

It doesn't, my comment was Considering Cummins works in an industry with a pretty big carbon footprint and is quite wealthy for doing so. Is it any wonder that his opinion is viewed as grandstanding by some people?
Do you think the notion that commenting on social issues as an Australian sports star is grandstanding is reasonable?

That "grandstanding" has certainly brought plenty of favourable attention to the likes of Donnell Wallam, Cummins, and Adam Goodes.

Historically, it's been the opposite of grandstanding.

Do you think the notion that commenting on social issues as an Australian sports star is grandstanding is reasonable?

That "grandstanding" has certainly brought plenty of favourable attention to the likes of Donnell Wallam, Cummins, and Adam Goodes.

Historically, it's been the opposite of grandstanding.
Don't know Wallam, but Cummins actions aren't consistent with his objection to Alinta. I'm not sure how that relates to Goodes.

Don't know Wallam, but Cummins actions aren't consistent with his objection to Alinta. I'm not sure how that relates to Goodes.
His actionis aren't consistent - because he participates in international cricket? Clutching at straws here.

It's clear that you've taken exception to Cummins' POV, so I don't know why you pretended to not in your last post.

I also spelled out pretty clearly how it relates to Goodes and Wallam, which you've seemingly just chosen to ignore. Cummins commented on a social issue. Goodes and Wallam commented on social issues. This did not bring them favourable attention which is the intention of grandstanding.

From those two above points, it seems you're arguing pretty disingenuously, so I'll leave it there. Have a good one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Australian cricket fans the worst in the world?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back