Are Collingwood good enough to sustain this run, take 3rd, beat Geelong and make the GF ?

Remove this Banner Ad

It depends on a lot of things.

3. Collingwood also win the Preliminary final. Could be against any one of Brisbane, Adelaide, Carlton or Bulldogs at the MCG.

A lot of things have to go right for Collingwood. Here's hoping that they do!! :D

Collingwood - Carlton Prelim = Big footy meltdown! :eek:

Would love to see it.

Interesting views, seems like most are quite sceptical about us. Im a bit the same I think I assess our premiership chances at still only about 10 % at this stage based on where things currently sit.

Many collingwood supporters are getting quite cocky and confident - personally I think they are getting ahead of themselves.

Have you ever heard of the phenomena where a child asks a parent "Can I have a gun?" and the parent says "No you can't. Be quiet and go to your room."

The said child then asks the other parent "Can I have a gun?" and the other parent says "No you can't. Be quiet and go to your room."

The child then goes to the school councillor and the child says "My parents are beating me."

Well this is what your doing on the main board Undies.
You can't get your own way on the Magpies Board and no-one will listen to your whining, so you come on the main board telling lies to get the attention for which you yearn.

You have to realise Undies, they only listen because you're saying what they want to hear.

Sorry about that folks we'll take him home now.....:D

Pies list is improving but its not in the same league as others...its all about the incredibly good coaching they get. Their coach is truly a master.
So no...i guess i dont think they'll make a GF this yr but will go to prelims..just another opinion.

Essendon won 14 in a row in 1981 & didn't make it past the 1st week of the finals. Story re-opened.

I think it should have been 'no team has ever won the first 12 games of the season and not made the grand final.'

Both Geelong and St Kilda were 13-0 before we met in round 14. The Herald Sun was reporting that based on history, both teams were in line for a grand final berth when they were 12-0.

Pies list is improving but its not in the same league as others...its all about the incredibly good coaching they get. Their coach is truly a master.
So no...i guess i dont think they'll make a GF this yr but will go to prelims..just another opinion.

I think you are under rating Collingwood list, its quite decent and has quite a bit of talent ...

We are also obviously in form, have momentum and are relatively injury free which is a massive bonus and plus ....

I think being injury free puts us in an amazing position, having a full strength list is such a rare thing. Is that list good enough to make the Grand Final though? If we face the Cats as they currently stand now I'd back us in, but that's not likely to happen. You'd think they'd have most of their guns firing come week one of the finals.

If/when we have to face the Saints, be it week one or even the Grand Final I think we're in for one hell of a beating, but that's just my opinion.

Getting back to the ? at hand, 1 week at a time, starting with Richmond.

Saints should win the flag, Geelong look mentally/physically shot, their reign is over. The snippet of Mark Thompson at the Geelong function is a sign of a coach under seige.

I doubt Medhurst can get back to 08' form this year (b/c of injuries), but if you can get Didak, Neon & Medhurst playing to their high levels in September, they will be very dangerous.

Considering the bookies have us at $5 for the flag we are probably a better than 10 per cent chance. I'd say 20 per cent chance. But because you seem a bit of a dill, and continue to make an fool of yourself with your agenda, you are 80 per cent chance of being right, and than you will say, there, I told you so, we were 10 per cent chance.

That being said, the Cats are licking their wounds and St. Kilda continue to fly, we are clearly the third best side in it, and our form over the past three months has been outstanding.

Anthony, Medhurst and Cloke have been finding from in recent weeks, so out forward line could start firing. I'd expect Fraser to come back in this week and play some time in the forward line where he can be damaging.

We are in it to win it this year, and i'd say being a 20 per cent chance to win it this year, and than an 80 per cent chance to improve next year, means that Collingwood supporters have alot to look forward to. :thumbsu:

Depends on a bit of luck. I still feel there are 2 better sides in Geelong and St Kilda. But Geelong are in a bad stretch of form. I would be backing Geelong if I were a betting man to make it through. Too much class across the board, especially if they get Scarlett, Taylor, Ottens, and SJ at 100% fitness.

They rely a lot of Shaw, didak and swan getting heaps of space and creating, and the deeper they get into september the less room there will be for these guys to do their damage.

All teams rely heavily on their best players. But you speak as if we have only three stars. We're not Carlton. The midfield also boasts Davis Pendlebury Thomas Lockyer Johnson and O'Bree, and young guns like Beams and potentially Wellingham, Sidebottom and Barham. And Medhurst can drift up the ground as well at times.

There is plenty of artillery in the midfield to extract the inside ball as well as the outside ball. And most of them are noted goalkickers which is vital in September when supply to key forwards sometimes becomes more difficult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah that sums it up

For the AFL boarders, Understudy says he is a collingwood supporter he has just yet to actually prove he enjoys collingwood success over failure

Its been 19 years since any success, so where has he had the chance to prove it?

Dont confuse winning home and away games and lead up finals as success. Success in this game is only measured in one thing and everyone who has their feet firmly planted knows what that one thing is. Anything else leading up to that is posturing to achieve that one thing.

Errrr, no. Not 'end of story'. The past can only provide you with guidance of the future, not tell you the future.

Well then Collingwood are no chance - their GF win loss ratio in the past 50 years is 1:10, ie, 10% success

Its been 19 years since any success, so where has he had the chance to prove it?

Dont confuse winning home and away games and lead up finals as success. Success in this game is only measured in one thing and everyone who has their feet firmly planted knows what that one thing is. Anything else leading up to that is posturing to achieve that one thing.

So we cannot be happy for the wins that play a big part in leading to a grand final? Let me tell you, the win over the weagles in 07 elimination final was one of the happiest times of my life!!!

That is crap there is the ultimate success and other levels of success for example most people would say Carlton have had a successful season even though they will probably not make the last day of September. But why am I even trying to explain that too you small mined people like yourself who only see black and white will never change their mind even if they are proven incorrect.

OK - this is not a troll, and it's not bitterness over the weekend's result :eek:

I think there's a few people in the media and on BF who are seriously overrating Collingwood this year (good to see a few Collingwood supporters here being more realistic).

Yes, they are a good team and yes they are very well coached. And yes, they beat Adelaide on the weekend (but we played very badly and it is a game we should have won).

But have a look at the record this year - who they've beaten, and where they got enough wins to (probably) finish top 4.

They play Geelong and St Kilda once each (lost both)
They play Carlton and Essendon twice each, in a year when both of those sides are middle of the ladder at best (1-1 in both cases)
They play Sydney twice (1 win and one TBA)
They play Melbourne twice (2 wins)

Switch a few games around in the fixture (like give them 2 each against Saints and Cats instead of, say, Melbourne and Sydney) and bingo, they're on 11 wins and fighting it out in the bottom half of the 8.

Yes, I know you can only beat who you play, and I know it's swings an roundabouts with the fixture - but the point is, if you're going to rate Collingwood as a contender it has to be on the evidence, and the evidence is thin.

Based on the fixture I don't rate Collingwood any higher in the Premiership contention stakes than Adelaide or Brisbane. And I don't rate Adelaide's chances :p

I think being injury free puts us in an amazing position, having a full strength list is such a rare thing. Is that list good enough to make the Grand Final though? If we face the Cats as they currently stand now I'd back us in, but that's not likely to happen. You'd think they'd have most of their guns firing come week one of the finals.

If/when we have to face the Saints, be it week one or even the Grand Final I think we're in for one hell of a beating, but that's just my opinion.

this is true and may be enough.

however elephant in the room is St Kilda and for the life of me can't see the Hot Pies getting over the Saints

Very good all round team with even contributions from each player.

Should certainly make 3rd now after knocking off the crows.

Their gameplan suits finals footy and they have a proven record of stepping up in finals and playing above themselves.

So yes they are a big chance of making the gf but the cats remain a question mark. Surely they'll turn their form slump around soon.

OK - this is not a troll, and it's not bitterness over the weekend's result :eek:

I think there's a few people in the media and on BF who are seriously overrating Collingwood this year (good to see a few Collingwood supporters here being more realistic).

Yes, they are a good team and yes they are very well coached. And yes, they beat Adelaide on the weekend (but we played very badly and it is a game we should have won).

But have a look at the record this year - who they've beaten, and where they got enough wins to (probably) finish top 4.

They play Geelong and St Kilda once each (lost both)
They play Carlton and Essendon twice each, in a year when both of those sides are middle of the ladder at best (1-1 in both cases)
They play Sydney twice (1 win and one TBA)
They play Melbourne twice (2 wins)

Switch a few games around in the fixture (like give them 2 each against Saints and Cats instead of, say, Melbourne and Sydney) and bingo, they're on 11 wins and fighting it out in the bottom half of the 8.

Yes, I know you can only beat who you play, and I know it's swings an roundabouts with the fixture - but the point is, if you're going to rate Collingwood as a contender it has to be on the evidence, and the evidence is thin.

Based on the fixture I don't rate Collingwood any higher in the Premiership contention stakes than Adelaide or Brisbane. And I don't rate Adelaide's chances :p

So to sum up they get a easy draw! You expect this but they've made the most of what they've been given. And some of those losses were earlier in the season when they weren't playing as well. If they played the cats now for example they'd most likely beat them

The draw excuse is for muppets. All the top teams have virtually played each other only once this year or only one Top 4 team twice, its as even as you get. The old interstate excuse is invalid cos we dominate away.

Saints - lost
Cats - lost

Beaten everyone else basically. We are clearly the 3rd best team in the comp.

Top 2 teams are still clearly a class above in my eyes, we might knock off one but I doubt we can roll both.

confidence counts for a lot.

atm carlton and Collingwood showing dangerously good form.

Geelong are a few clean bills of health from reasserting themselves though.

I don't think it's a case of Collingwood being good enough, it's a case of whether we can lift our game.

If we were playing in a PF next week, I wouldn't be going in with a hell of a lot of confidence at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Collingwood good enough to sustain this run, take 3rd, beat Geelong and make the GF ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back