Are Essendon the real deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

That is rubbish (for lack of a better word) :p

For what its worth, Essendon will NOT make the top 4 and anybody suggesting so has taken far too many shrooms over the weekend. IF in the unlikely event Essendon did make Top 4, it would be because of absolutely nothing we saw at this present point in time and due to an even more substantial improvement throughout the Season (Hence, not happening)

But, Carlton are rubbish im sorry. The difference between their top 5 players (A+) to their last 4 or 5 that round up the 22 is just unbelievable.

Neither are even close to top 4 at this present time, expecting finished between 6-12 for both (with Carlton more likely to get to the top end of that, and Essendon floating around 8-11 I would think)

You certainly know your stuff ;)

The thread was started after one round, and they have been hampered with injury of late.

All of a sudden they're no good? Besides the top four teams tell me who really is better?
Before the season I had us about 10 wins & about 9th ish, and frankly looking more for consistent improvement defensively (tick, so far) and more competitive results away (leaning towards a tick, so far, with Adelaide trip still to come). ie, building towards a side that could win 16-18 games and win finals anywhere.
After 5.5 out of 8 rounds or whatever I'd revised that up to about 12-13 wins & in the 8. That's now looking unlikely. More fool me.

So, no, not the "real deal" this year, nor will we be next year, but nor am I grossly unhappy.

West Coast, Sydney, Fremantle ( if they weren't decimated through injury ) & maybe St Kilda.

Melbourne, Essendon, North Melbourne in the next bracket.

Essendon are a work in progress. Have shown slight improvement this year, but still have a long way to go.

Fair summary I would think. Been hurt by injuries that we simply are not good enough to cover. A few other teams in the same boat.

West Coast, Sydney, Fremantle ( if they weren't decimated through injury ) & maybe St Kilda.

Melbourne, Essendon, North Melbourne in the next bracket.

Essendon are a work in progress. Have shown slight improvement this year, but still have a long way to go.

We knocked over West Coast prior to our run of terrible form (granted it was here), and we lost by 5pts to Sydney in Sydney - probably unfair to label them as clearly better.

Fremantle I agree with, they are a genuine top 4 side, and almost premiership chance when close to full fitness.

As for St Kilda, well we do have a serious amount of wood on them, but I still would have said at the start of the year they were a better 'overall' side. Now I'm not so sure, they've been pretty poor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Essendon the real deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back