Are Jarrad Waite and Patrick Ryder playing out of position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Flemy

Debutant
Sep 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bushrangers
Both players are playing CHB for different reasons.

Waite was moved from CHF as Carlton have a very week defence and 2 years ago had no tall defenders with any potential.

Ryder had a disapointing first year in the ruck so was moved down back as an educational position.

Both teams are over these times. Carlton as some potential down back in Jamison and Bower and Ryder is now a talented player. Both players are very athletic and can play several roles.

Is it time to move them into more attacking postions? If so where should they play?

Ryder plays second ruck and forward now.
With the emergance of Pears, Daniher and Hurley along with Fletcher, Ryder can be used as a more damaging and attacking player in the forward half without having to be restricted to a shut-down role in the back half.

Ryder plays second ruck and forward now.
With the emergance of Pears, Daniher and Hurley along with Fletcher, Ryder can be used as a more damaging and attacking player in the forward half without having to be restricted to a shut-down role in the back half.

I havn't watched any Essendon games this year so i didnt know that he has been playing ruck/foward, mabye i should have started this poll a few months ago, but still i would like to know where people think these to players should play.

I havn't watched any Essendon games this year so i didnt know that he has been playing ruck/foward, mabye i should have started this poll a few months ago, but still i would like to know where people think these to players should play.

Knights has indicated that Ryder will play more as a ruck/forward from this point on and I'm genuinely excited because I feel that his athleticism, height and skills are best suited for a forward role.

He played there against Freo and looked really dangerous (booting 2 goals) and I'm tipping he'll become even more imposing once he stacks on another 5-6 kgs

Waite is best in a role where he doesn't have to mind other players, so CHB isn't naturally his best area. Though he performs well there. He's best when he's free to do what he wants. HF or the wing would give him the best results.

But as part of our team, he's needed most at CHB.

Waite is best in a role where he doesn't have to mind other players, so CHB isn't naturally his best area. Though he performs well there. He's best when he's free to do what he wants. HF or the wing would give him the best results.

But as part of our team, he's needed most at CHB.

Good thread:thumbsu:

I find both players to be better playing wide, forward of centre.
We've already seen Waite perform well when given this area to patrol this season.
Ryder would do well here as well, but I am just not sure on him being a goal kicker. Maybe wing for him as he has the agility and speed to make a good go of it in that position. I just don't see Ryder at his best at CHB.
One thing for sure, he will be one hell of a player this boy.

For me, i don't mind where ryder plays because he is athletic enough to play anywhere. I'd just prefer he doesn't play as second ruck option because he can be more damaging elsewhere.
Waite should be taking the opositions best big man. Regardless of position.

The game on Saturday night confirmed my thoughts. Waite shouldn't play on a man. He should play loose man in defence so he can run with the ball and send it inside 50 or he should just put him in the foward line were he can be a damaging marker and rover kicking goals. Ryder wasn't great playing ruck/foward but he direct opponents always were worried by his pressence when the ball was kicked in his direction. Looks like Knights has got it right i just hope Ratten finds a replacment for Jamison while hes injured so Waite can play were hes more productive.

I was wondering why Ratten didn't chuck Bower on to Lucas so that Waite could play a bit more freely.

Even though Paddy got 7-8 touches I thought they were all crucial, took some good intercepting marks, kicked a massive goal and laid some crucial tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Jarrad Waite and Patrick Ryder playing out of position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back