Are the Blues on the verge of something great?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Dog

Senior List
Aug 11, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Do you also get the feeling that Carlton are on the verge of something great.
All news coming out of Visy Park the last few months has been super positive.
They traded and drafted well, have Kruezer back. Walker appears reborn and Gibbs is apparently fitter than he has ever been and ready to be let loose in the middle.
If Henderson improves as the rate he already is, he will kick 50+ this year and if a youngster can fill a key back possy they will be right up there.
With Geelong & Saints set to drop off and question marks over hawthorn and the doggies, the Blues are genuine premiership contenders in 2011.

So what you're saying is that the news coming out of Carlton in December is positive?

Never before have I heard of a football team selling fluff pieces in December whilst in the middle of a member campaign! I'm shocked.

Depends what you mean by 'great'. I think if you asked half the Carlton playing list, they couldnt even spell it, let alone achive it. Graetness, that is.

I'm family friends with a rather wealthy businessman who used to sponsor a couple of Carlton players, and a couple of years ago I mentioned to him that I thought Carlton were on the verge of becoming an amazing side.

He told me to wait before making too rash a judgement on the quality of the side yet.

How right he was. Carlton has been harbouring top draft picks for a long time, they should have been thereabouts by now.

Still not 100% sure if the issue is the coach though. I suspect it is. I think a better coach would have Carlton in better shape as a side than they are currently. Also too much left to Judd.

List is too NQR.

I can't see them challenging for Top 6 with Jameison & Bower in their KPD slots.

Carlton are soft. No hard bodies through the middle. Nearly every game they won this year Judd was the catalyst. Dont go rambling on about Mclean either I dont think he will make much difference.

Until they find a bit more hardness around the ball they will remain there abouts without doing any real damage.

Also, they've recruited a whole stack of key position players (good thing) but it's happened after they've recruited a whole stack of midfielders, who should be starting to really have some impact.

Unfortunately KPP take longer to develop than midfielders, so I expect the balance to be all wrong.

And if the rumours about Murphy have any merit, their A grade starting midfield goes down a peg.

But look - for years I've been saying Collingwood won't achieve because of a lack of stars/genuine CHAMPIONS and are a team of HFF's that won't have what it takes when it matters. Footy's a great game because it's so damn hard to predict.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats as premiers big strong bodies.........Ling, Chapman, Ablett, Mooney, Rooke etc........Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Brown.........Goddard, Hayes, Reiwoldt.........Boyd, Cross, Akermanis, Hall, Hahn.......................Carlton.........Judd.

Their list is very average as far as I'm concerned.

All cream and no cake. Unless Ratten can come up with some sort of masterplan involving the young quick forwards he has then I can't see them challenging for a while yet.

carlton are not far away

they are only 2 key forwards, 2 key backmen, a genuine ruckmen, a quality tagger and 1 genuine hard nut midfielder away from mounting a challenge

No...

I don't want to get involved into a long winded discussion cause I really don't have the time but I don't see how the blues are on the verge of something great, they really are over-rated by the media and alot of AFL supporters are being brainwashed.

Carlton are soft. No hard bodies through the middle. Nearly every game they won this year Judd was the catalyst. Dont go rambling on about Mclean either I dont think he will make much difference.

Until they find a bit more hardness around the ball they will remain there abouts without doing any real damage.

I have a sneaky feeling this young fella might make a difference.

VFL+Rd+20+Box+Hill+Hawks+v+Casey+Scorpions+DYq-pBuRycMl.jpg

You might have heard of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back