Are we a flag chance?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Sydney & Adelaide are proof that it doesnt take much to go from a mid range team to top of the table.

The recruitment of Hay is significant to getting our back 6 right.

But what will really get us going is significant progress from 3,4 or 5 of our young players.

i.e.
A B&F from Wells.
A top 4 B&F from a Firrito or Harris.
A top 8 B&F from a Hale, Brown or Petrie.
A Ch.Jones or Perry to come from no where.
Or a JWS, Trotter, Grima or McConnell to break into the 18.
Etc, etc.

We need 3 or 4 young guys to come through together. I've been waiting for it since Deni$ left, but it hasnt happened. We have just seemed to be stock piling young talent in the two's.

Sooner or later the damn will burst.

ARDENSTREETforever said:
Are we a flag chance?
I remember in 2004 that Dr Allen Aylett had the 5 year plan in place (2002-2006) and that by end of 2006, North will have played in a GF.
The development is coming along nicely, and with these pick-ups Laidley is obviously keen about short term success rather than the bigger picture.

Hale will be bigger, McIntosh will play a role, Sav, Thommo, Browny, Jade will all be key forwards, and these will stretch any defence.

if we are to make top 4 in 2006, which is what we should be aiming for, we need to through the current game plan in the tip, and start afresh.... simple plan.... ball out of backline, RUN! kick up the CENTRE FFS, then handball to running players who then hit a target inside 50, if the ball spills we have Boomer, Grant, Harding and Wells as crummers.

I cant wait until March.
I can wait.

Give me a 100 + game solid full back, a 100 + game key marking forward, another Daniel Wells and a new coach and I would say yes.

In other words, give me Thornton, Bradshaw, Ryan Griffen and Eade and we would be well and truly in the mix.

I think any team that makes the finals is a chance, you just need to have a very good finals campaign.

Are we a realistic chance? At this point in time I would say no... BUT!

A lot depends on how quickly our younger/inexperienced players take the next step.

If next year Smith, McConnell, Riggio, McIntosh, Moran, Hale, Gibson take a big step fowards and we get something out of Trotte, Grima, Urch and they get plenty of support from Grant, Harvey, Wells and Thommo then we will have a very good year.

We have the basis for a very good team but we can't afford to have weak links all over the ground, even very good young players who are not ready are weak links for that particular year.

Tas said:
If next year Smith, McConnell, Riggio, McIntosh, Moran, Hale, Gibson take a big step fowards and we get something out of Trotte, Grima, Urch and they get plenty of support from Grant, Harvey, Wells and Thommo then we will have a very good year.

Quiet - talk like that will ruin Devil Fisheys day.

If we win, he can no longer dish out all that sass.

And what is Devil Fish without his hilariously cutting humour?

The Zebra said:
Quiet - talk like that will ruin Devil Fisheys day.

If we win, he can no longer dish out all that sass.

And what is Devil Fish without his hilariously cutting humour?
You have me all wrong brother. If I didn't care about the club, I wouldn't bother `contributing' to NM BF. But it cuts me deep when I see the wheels fall off.

moomba said:
Can't really see us in with a shout next season, hopefully we'll be able to use it as a stepping stone toward bigger and better things the year after though.
Our next GF appearance seems so far away at the moment. We must draft well & be patient. 2010-2012 hopefully will see us being a powerhouse again.

Tas said:
I doubt Riggio will get much game time next year. You could probably add Trotter, Grima and Urch to that list. Not to mention Perry if he stays. Obviously a few of these guys shouldn't have been in the team anyway due to injury/form, but we've shown this year and last that we don't pick on merit.

I have no confidence whatsoever that our team selectors know what they are doing.

Apart from that, everything is rosy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ARDENSTREETforever said:
Are we a flag chance?
I remember in 2004 that Dr Allen Aylett had the 5 year plan in place (2002-2006) and that by end of 2006, North will have played in a GF.
The development is coming along nicely, and with these pick-ups Laidley is obviously keen about short term success rather than the bigger picture.

Hale will be bigger, McIntosh will play a role, Sav, Thommo, Browny, Jade will all be key forwards, and these will stretch any defence.

if we are to make top 4 in 2006, which is what we should be aiming for, we need to through the current game plan in the tip, and start afresh.... simple plan.... ball out of backline, RUN! kick up the CENTRE FFS, then handball to running players who then hit a target inside 50, if the ball spills we have Boomer, Grant, Harding and Wells as crummers.

I cant wait until March.

Of course we are a flag chance

moomba said:
Can't really see us in with a shout next season, hopefully we'll be able to use it as a stepping stone toward bigger and better things the year after though.

If we get to eighth I will cry tears of joy as if I had witnessed a miracle

I am usually an optimist and like think there's always a chance (who ever thought that the swans would win a premiership, let alone be in 2 GFs?).

However, after the season we have just had, any talk of a grand final is absurd. I'm just hoping things don't get worse. We have a much greater chance of winning the spoon next year than we do of winning the flag.
Now that sav has retired, just imagine if thommo gets injured... we would have to play one of brown, petrie, chad jones or le cras as our main forward...........things could get alot worse:(

Now with sav gone, Laids has to be seriously thinking off getting another FF. There is no way Thommo will last for ever. Unles lecras stays on list. Get a kid and get him better and when his needed, get him into the game. That way we know that if thommo gets injured, there is always backup.

ozserpico66 said:
Yep, a chance to wave the white flag and move to Southport

and coming from a Richmond supporter that is indeed harsh I Know....

Have you been watching the news? I doubt it.

Any team's a chance in the great scheme of life that is AFL footy.

In my book of Omens it's not that far off. (I'm bored it's quiet at work)

This is how it goes for the Gabster

in '94 I went on an O/S holiday - We won the GF 2 years later
in '97 I went on and O/S holiday - We won the gF 2 years later
in '06 I'm going on an O/S holiday (long time between drinks let me tell you) - soooooooo - well that's my theory so here's hoping.

The only thing wrong with this theory is the team we had then were playing and winning a lot more than the current bunch.

We are a couple of gun players and a 100% commitment to the contest from EVERY player, away from finals IMHO. Once we're there who would know?

The guns might already be on the list at the start of next season just waiting to unleash themselves on the comp. Hale, Hamish, Harro, Swallow, Gumby(???)

Oh well, one can dream.

A revised gameplan wouldn't hurt our chances either.

Not a chance in hell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we a flag chance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back