Arguments at the footy!

Remove this Banner Ad

At Waverly Park 94, semi final from memory. Cats lost Hocking, Bairstow and Couch before the game. Seated with the old man and a few of his mates on the eastern side wing and there's three carlton supporters in front. Second quarter and cats have kicked another goal and are easily on top in a game we weren't expected to win given the outs. We are all very chirpy, giving it to all and sundry and the blue boys in front had gone very quiet and were drinking themselves into a stupor. Anyway, one turns to his mate, in the midst of all our banter, and says "I thought you left the mother in law at home". Paid it, funny comment but we kept going and then he has turned around and taken a swing at the old man. Dad clocked him back and then it was on. I was 16 at the time, and holding on to the thermos as my weapon of choice should it be required. Cops came, they got kicked out because they were clearly drunk and most of the crowd around supported our version of events. And we won, which made it all the more pleasing.

92 GF, I was in the Southern Stand but sister sitting with Gran behind the city end goals. Met up after the game and whilst wiping tears out of her eyes, (and me mine) sis relayed the story of Gran whacking the WC wan@#r supporters sitting behind them over the head with her umbrella. Probably the reason why you can't take them anymore. Umbrellas that is, not Grans............although be careful

I was at the Phonedome. We were playing Carlton. We had 2 groups of Carlton supporters in front of us. A family consisiting of Dad and three young daughters as well as some young men.

When the Blues were gone the young guys started to squirt some colourful language. A bit of the S and F bombs. After a few times Dad asks the fellas to keep the lanuage down. Well.... the guys open up a can of the F & C bomb on him. We were like "what the?, you guys support the same team".

In unison about 3 different people, including me, told him to back off. He turns to me and tried to have a swing. Don't know if he realised he was sitting in the front row of the third level for a moment but there were about 50 people prepared to throw him off the edge.

That was rather insense.

I have one...kinda funny actually! :p

One day at 'Shell' Stadium (Buddha's last game at Geelong), Justin Murphy did his nut at a Geelong supporter on the fence. He ran along the wing after someone had given him a serve, and gave the bloke a serve himself as well. Murphy didn't hold back either, he gave it. Most of the crowd were a bit stunned...

Anyway, right near three quarter time, Buddha threw himself at a contest and smothered in typical Buddha fashion. We were getting thumped, but it was still inspirational. The crowd loved it, and when teh siren sounded seconds later, my old man stood up and yelled something to the effect of "Take a leaf out of Buddha's book and show some heart". It was probably involved an expletive or two.

Then this bloke (who we later reckon was probably aboriginal) turned around and cracked with the old man - bit of a heated exchange until the bloke turned around and faced the field angrily. Then, the old man stole my footy which was happily in my arms and pegged it at the guys head. We all went silent and just burst into laughter. The bloke jumped up and wanted to start something until he backed off and never returned to his seat.

Funny stuff. We could not stop laughing!

A few years ago it was rumoured (even referred to in the papers) that an AFL player was about to be 'outed' as gay - it was a Carlton player as it turned out but Richo had long hair and the kids who used to sit near the visitors' race at KP taunted him till he nearly went nuts. He took a swing at someone which was caught on camera - the kids thought it was hilarious and so did most of the supporters nearby - he didn't. He was reprimanded I recall. Refused to talk about it when later asked. They put a perspex shield over the race after that.
Even earlier when we were kids we teased some old female Richmond supporters at Punt Road Oval - they were getting stuck into Geelong and then to us - not just verbally, with language which would embarrass a trooper, but with their umbrellas. We kept at them and eventually an official came and moved us on - said that they always occupied the same area so F off or he'd throw us out - no better than the old hags. Not too many teeth between them - or brain cells.

Had a good argument with a Melbourne supporter back in 2004. Actually started during the VFL game, when I hurled abuse at the umpire for an ordinary decision, and he turns around and says "If you're gonna commentate all game I won't have to tune into Rex" or something along those lines.

We kept having pot shots at each other all day after that, right up to the last quarter of the seniors when he muttered something under his breath and I replied with the old classic "Scoreboard", and he turns around and goes "Do you f***ing want me to f***ing throw you out of this f***ing stand?" At that point all the Geelong fans around us started getting stuck into him too as he slowly sunk further and further into his seat. He disappeared soon after the final siren went too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back