Article - Ellis set to bounce back from tough '09

Remove this Banner Ad

mustardnugget

All Australian
Sep 21, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
IF THERE is a single player that has personified Hawthorn lately, it is Xavier Ellis.

His 28-possession performance in the 2008 grand final was one of the best of his career, and a key reason behind his side’s surprise win over Geelong that day.

But an interrupted 2009 pre-season with hip surgery as well as foot problems throughout the season meant Ellis played just 11 games last year, sitting in the stands for half the season as his team unsuccessfully battled for a spot in the eight.

If the correlation between Ellis and the team continues into 2010 then the early signs are good for the Hawks.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/89646/default.aspx

I'm liking the amount of positive news coming from the Hawks at the moment.

A stark contrast to, ahem, the year that shall not be mentioned...

IF THERE is a single player that has personified Hawthorn lately, it is Xavier Ellis.

His 28-possession performance in the 2008 grand final was one of the best of his career, and a key reason behind his side’s surprise win over Geelong that day.

But an interrupted 2009 pre-season with hip surgery as well as foot problems throughout the season meant Ellis played just 11 games last year, sitting in the stands for half the season as his team unsuccessfully battled for a spot in the eight.

If the correlation between Ellis and the team continues into 2010 then the early signs are good for the Hawks.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/89646/default.aspx

I'm liking the amount of positive news coming from the Hawks at the moment.

A stark contrast to, ahem, the year that shall not be mentioned...

Is it just me who's impressed by the fact that he's done not 80% or 90% of the pre-season, but rather exactly 86%?

Really shows how intricate a science footy is these days.

He has improved a lot compared to when he first played in the seniors and I am a fan, but his skill errors against the Tigers last week were very poor by his standards. He had a few clangers in the GF too ...

Im a fan of Ellis and hope he takes it up a level this year. One thing I've noticed with him that completely shits me though is that he never kicks through the ball, resulting in alot more skill errors. Im amased the coaches haven't corrected this basic skill error. He hasn't got bad foot skills but this simple adjustment would instantly improve them. Let's hope he stays fit and plays 22+ this year.

Don't forget X-man had the first year off after being drafted to complete his Year 12, just played school footy. Much like Lenny Hayes for St. Kilda.

He hasn't had a really good run of games yet, keeps being interrupted by injuries. Hoping this is his year to bloom. May be able to take over the backline general role Hodge played.

He's in my dream team. Along with Sammy, Sool, Lewis, Roughie, Schoey, Hodgey, Shiels, Dowler, Gibber, Laddo, Taylor (yes, Taylor), Cyril amd Buddy (benched for first round).

Im a fan of Ellis and hope he takes it up a level this year. One thing I've noticed with him that completely shits me though is that he never kicks through the ball, resulting in alot more skill errors. Im amased the coaches haven't corrected this basic skill error. He hasn't got bad foot skills but this simple adjustment would instantly improve them. Let's hope he stays fit and plays 22+ this year.

Agree on the short kicking. Either has miniature hamstrings or suffers the Del Santo disease where they are banned from kicking more than 30 metres.

Would be a highlight to see Ellis get more penetration with his kicking; that way 20 possessions off half back would be worth 35 in the midfield.

Was lucky enough to meet him recently in Brisbane, absolute top bloke.

Was more than happy to chat and answer questions, much like a lot of the Hawthorn list from what you read on hear...

anyone else struggling (with this kind of press coming out) to keep the amount of hawthorn players in your supercoach/dream team to a reasonable amount?

I promised myself I'd keep the Hawthorn contingent of my DT to a minimum this year. Problem is, the prices are too good on Hawks that had a poor year last year and good pre-seasons this year.

I mean Rick Ladson @ 185K!!?? That's money in the bank...

Ellis is just a careful kick and he likes to weight the ball to his targets.

I'm sure he can kick it some distance, and we saw that with his goal in the Grand Final.

anyone else struggling (with this kind of press coming out) to keep the amount of hawthorn players in your supercoach/dream team to a reasonable amount?

Nope. I managed to fit in Goo, Shoe, Laddo, Sewell, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Shiels, Franklin, Roughy, Rioli & Hooper. Still tuning the list a bit but since it's my first year with any sort of fantasy league... damn, I forgot X... crap.

Very overated player! slow, average kick, gets outmuscled to easily, Massive year for him, Tuck, Murphy Taylor and Morton, these players should be under the pump bigtime!I will be very keen to see how Ellis plays this year, huge hype, FWIW we should of traded him instead of Kennedy.:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very overated player! slow, average kick, gets outmuscled to easily, Massive year for him,

... I will be very keen to see how Ellis plays this year, huge hype, FWIW we should of traded him instead of Kennedy.:eek:

:D Very funny !

Then delist Cyril on his failure to perform on Saturday.

Do you judge Ellis on one NAB Cup game or on his performance in the 2008 Grand Final?

Talk about delisting players before the season has even started ...

(Or very sarcastic)

Very overated player! slow, average kick, gets outmuscled to easily, Massive year for him, Tuck, Murphy Taylor and Morton, these players should be under the pump bigtime!I will be very keen to see how Ellis plays this year, huge hype, FWIW we should of traded him instead of Kennedy.:eek:

You have to be kidding buddy right?

I watched the NAB game again last night and X's influence on the game was obvious. His defensive work led to three goals either by forcing a turnover or winning a free kick.

Sure there was the brain fade in the square and a "too cute" moment where he tried to chip using the outside of the boot, but his creativity with the ball, hand and foot would have him easily in our first 10 picked.

Only 21, Hard and beautiful skills. I have him pencilled in as our next Captain.

You gotta be stone cold when it comes to SC. Last year I had ONE, and even he was a massive mistake (Roughy). Admittedly, this year's a bit different, and there's a few that are gonna tempt.

Is it just me who's impressed by the fact that he's done not 80% or 90% of the pre-season, but rather exactly 86%?

Really shows how intricate a science footy is these days.

Im with you on this one Buddy.

Hoping for big things this year from the X-Man. He must be 286% confident that he will have a great year.

Do you barrack for Sydney troll?

:eek:
:D Very funny !

Then delist Cyril on his failure to perform on Saturday.

Do you judge Ellis on one NAB Cup game or on his performance in the 2008 Grand Final?

Talk about delisting players before the season has even started ...

Cyril didnt play on saturday!! No Cyril is an absolute gun and miles in front of Ellis as aplayer..You mentioned Ellis and his GF performance! Yes he played well in patches in that match, but he also did some rididculous clangers as well! I hope Ellis isnt living off the hype of one good performance! :eek: If he had a shocker in the GF it would be interesting to see how highly hed be rated presently, at the moment all the talk of him is the ugly potential word!!until he produces consistently then and only then will he be a good first round draft choice!!Should of kept Kennedy:thumbsu:

(Or very sarcastic)

Not quite sure on your assessment Onwards.

He hasn't been as good as I would have hoped, but to think he's fighting for his spot on the list is silly talk.

His courage is elite, he's got a very good footy brain and I am sure we have only had a glimpse of what he can do.

Interestingly kennedy only played last year due to the level of injuries we had and I think he would have found it hard to actually get a game this year if he was still at the club (hence the trade).

On the otherhand ellis is an automatic selection if fit.

Chris Fagan's assessment of him last year was:

Another whose season never really got off the ground. He had hip surgery in the pre-season which meant he had a late start. He had various niggles over the year, and he didn’t play too many games. He’s a really important player to us, and we’re looking forward to him having a big pre-season.
Great to hear he is a having a full pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Article - Ellis set to bounce back from tough '09

Remove this Banner Ad

Back