Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually, AJ was not a total passenger in the Bulldogs game. When he played further up the ground, he got more involved and looked more attacking/confident than when locked in closer to the goals. He was a vital link in the chain of possessions which led to a goal from Bobby.
If there's a big bodied forward like Checkers or Kreuger in the full forward position, he could still be useful as a roaming tall (ish) forward? I remember from his initial games from way back that he always played better with Checkers there to do the heavier work. He has a light frame and maybe could do better on a forward flank?
I think he can succeed if he gets his fitness up to repeat lead up to the wing to give an outlet. He nearly did that a fair few times, but the marks just weren't quite sticking - well behind WHE though if we want someone doing that.

Actually, AJ was not a total passenger in the Bulldogs game. When he played further up the ground, he got more involved and looked more attacking/confident than when locked in closer to the goals. He was a vital link in the chain of possessions which led to a goal from Bobby.
If there's a big bodied forward like Checkers or Kreuger in the full forward position, he could still be useful as a roaming tall (ish) forward?
It still sounds like we’re trying to find reasons to play him, or ways we can cover for his shortcomings. Who else on our list gets this special exemption?

The problem with AJ is highlighted by almost everyone on this board.... he needs others in the team to allow him to shine. If you can't win your own ball and make an impact, irrespective of who's in the team, then you are baggage, at best.
Yep, he's a one trick pony, I grant you. When his confidence is up and he's not being out-bodied by a big defender, but has clear space to mark or come right over the top of the pack, he is capable of making a positive contribution IMHO. Also, at least his field kicking is more accurate that some others currently playing in our team and is okay with set shots on goal. ;)

Anyway, it's probably a moot point - most likely Kreuger will come in with Reef and injure himself or someone else ;) That's fair enough... we tried AJ, but now it's Kreuger's turn to see if he can take his opportunity.

… most likely Kreuger will come in with Reef and injure himself or someone else ;)
You’re right of course, but for a moment imagine what might happen… if he doesn’t?!

giphy.gif

Let’s put ourselves in Ash’s shoes. We are now a tall athletically gifted dude who plays a bloody sport for a living. We’re living every kids’ dream but we can’t be bothered applying effort, the one thing that everyone can do.

Yeah nah. Was hoping he’d turn it around but looks like he won’t be in the AFL soon.

It still sounds like we’re trying to find reasons to play him, or ways we can cover for his shortcomings. Who else on our list gets this special exemption?

I get what you mean, but at the same time he was probably our best fit bet for providing a lead up outlet from defence. Nearly did so against the Dogs, but they just weren't quite sticking. Shouldn't get a game with WHE and Reef back.

He had a poor game, missed marks he should be taking, looked disinterested and his defensive work was almost non-existent. Hopefully it's an anomaly because he has a real chance to cement his place in the side if he can get his arse into gear.
I'm hoping they bring in Kreuger and we play Howe forward, giving us Kreuger, Howe and Ash as marking targets. I think that gives Ash the best chance to succeed, because he's not a no.1 forward. Also means Frampton can move back to the defensive 50, where he's been fantastic this year.
Anomaly? It’s the normal. Played 3 of the worst games you would see from a player this year. His finals in 2022 were equally poor. When was his last ok game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there's a big bodied forward like Checkers or Kreuger in the full forward position, he could still be useful as a roaming tall (ish) forward? I remember from his initial games from way back that he always played better with Checkers there to do the heavier work. He has a light frame and maybe could do better on a forward flank?
If his sticky hands had not deserted him he would have been more involved.
I lost count of how many marks he didn’t quite hold - and invariably that seems to knock his confidence.
But it’s no excuse for not chasing and being more manic especially in FWD 50 ground balls/contests.

Ash was the player I had the highest hopes for before the season started proper. It ‘s difficult watching him at present and part of that is my own expectations and hopes. Thought the switch to defence might change things for him. However, right now it seems each moment just overwhelms him while it’s happening then the next opportunity comes and the same thing happens. He seems defeated but going through the motions. Wish I had an answer but he just seems to be in a deep rut of some kind. Hope he can sort it out but I just don’t feel he can be selected at present.

I think Ash will retain his place this week and Kreuger will be brought in alongside him, up forward (with Frampton returning to defence and Dean omitted). Both AJ and Kreuger will be needed in bursts in the ruck against Gawn when Cameron needs a rest.

I’m probably clutching at straws but I cling to hope that some time in the ruck might rekindle some confidence and lighten AJ’s mental burden.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think Ash will retain his place this week and Kreuger will be brought in alongside him, up forward (with Frampton returning to defence and Dean omitted). Both AJ and Kreuger will be needed in bursts in the ruck against Gawn when Cameron needs a rest.

I’m probably clutching at straws but I cling to hope that some time in the ruck might rekindle some confidence and lighten AJ’s mental burden.

I think the powers that be are more intent on pumping games into Dean than Ash, so I would be surprised if that ended up being the case.

Reef is fit to play so AJ is straight out and Kreuger comes in to play too.

I’ve had enough of Ash. His showing against the dogs was the final straw for me and hopefully it was for our coaches too.

Reef is fit to play so AJ is straight out and Kreuger comes in to play too.

I’ve had enough of Ash. His showing against the dogs was the final straw for me and hopefully it was for our coaches too.
Unless there is even more of an injury crisis (touch 🪵🪵🪵🪵🪵 this does not happen) or magically transforms into a much better player, AJ will not play.

I don’t think many coaches would have been impressed at all by his performance.

I think the powers that be are more intent on pumping games into Dean than Ash, so I would be surprised if that ended up being the case.
I don't get the wraps on Dean. He has looked hesitant, slow and spoiled Darcy Moore's marking attempts more times than his opponent's against the Dogs. I don't see how he displaces Moore, Frampton, Howe or Maynard for medium/tall defender roles.....unless the plan is for Howe to finish his career as a forward?

Alternatively, if Dean's getting games as part of plan to turn Frampton into a forward then I predict that it will be a disaster and weaken us at both ends of the ground. Even a mentally fried Johnson is better up forward than Frampton.

Unless there is even more of an injury crisis (touch 🪵🪵🪵🪵🪵 this does not happen) or magically transforms into a much better player, AJ will not play.

I don’t think many coaches would have been impressed at all by his performance.

Yeah, I'd expect the only reason Ash would be selected is if the coaches had a morbid curiosity about who is the worst forward in the competition at the moment, AJ or Harrison Petty?

Yeah, I'd expect the only reason Ash would be selected is if the coaches had a morbid curiosity about who is the worst forward in the competition at the moment, AJ or Harrison Petty?
Aj has him covered , i really wanted him to have a good game last week for his own sake, but that has to be the last straw now.

I think what we've seen is that if ruckmen are very physical against Gawn, he is less effective. I don't think AJ can bring that to the contest. Even for 5 mins a quarter we run the risk of Gawn destroying us and handing it over to Petracca, Oliver and Viney.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back