ash watson

Remove this Banner Ad

jmain14

Club Legend
May 20, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
surely ash will play his first game for the year this week despite not being listed in the better players for port melbourne. it seemed obvious to me that we lacked skill and pace on saturday - which seems strange to me as there is a bloke on our list that wears the number one who possesses both these qualities...

Originally posted by jmain14
surely ash will play his first game for the year this week despite not being listed in the better players for port melbourne. it seemed obvious to me that we lacked skill and pace on saturday - which seems strange to me as there is a bloke on our list that wears the number one who possesses both these qualities...

sauce? and yes it's about time if it does happen

Re: Re: ash watson

Originally posted by NeoBlaze
sauce?

No thanks, just mustard and cheese.

Hotdogs aside, you would think Ash would be smack bang in the middle of the mix to come into the side this week.

watched the port game and Ash isn't up to it yet. His disposal is overrated on this board. No more advanced than J Clayton or Mick Stevens imo. Less likely than clayton to be consistent and do the hard team things that we need at the moment.

Originally posted by stevo10
watched the port game and Ash isn't up to it yet. His disposal is overrated on this board.

Thank you!

Hit the nail on the head.

He has potential, but he is 12 months at least away - every time I have watched him in the last 18 months I find his decision making woeful and half the time he aint under pressure.

But he obviously has a private fun club on here.

Dont agree on Clayton tho - only mistake he is making is when he gets a go he cant get himself into the game for what ever reason.

But like they say - opinions are like a/holes :)

Having seen quite a lot of Ash, the guy has great disposal, but like Harro, has a lapse 2 or 3 times a game. He is young so that is an experience thing.

Pull out his AFL games, and apart from 1 kick, all his kicks are perfect and he evaded tackles on probably half his possessions.

He is a player that will move to senior footy effortlessly. He offers a lot more than J. Clayton in the middle and I see his role being similar to that of Del Santo. Under the roof of the Dome, he would be lethal.

Vote 1 for Ash!

Just one more thing.

I think Ash suffers from the fact that there are a group of guys on here that do rap him up a lot, and when those that don't see him often enough see 1 or 2 games, they make an opinion, as you do.

Nothing wrong with that, some get more opportunites than others, but it does leave many with an ill informed opinion.

Using my favourite Harro, a lot of people have gone on about his opponents getting away from him for the past year. Yet on Saturday, he stuck to his man and had a lot of possies, yet many gave Makey 3 votes who had his butt blown open by Brown.

Because Harro has this perceived support, he has to do more to turn those who perhaps haven't seen him as much. Same with Ash, Junior and Hale and many of the young guys coming through.

Shane Harvey is the opposite. Those unfortunate enough to see him play in the VFL can't stand him while others who haven't ask for his inclusion in the seniors.

Grab a tape of his four or so games last year in the one's.

I can't recall him wasting the footy once. Watch the Bulldog's game closely. The pass to King unsighted in the pocket over 50 metres was, IMO, the best field kick by any North player last year. Ash is a sensational kick if the footy. No opinions, no maybe. He is a great kick, and an excellent decision maker.

We only have 1 player similar to him in the team at the moment and that is Daniel Wells.

Quick, evasive and beuatiful disposal, I would think our ladder position would be higher if we already had players such as he.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Moti
We only have 1 player similar to him in the team at the moment and that is Daniel Wells.

Quick, evasive and beuatiful disposal, I would think our ladder position would be higher if we already had players such as he.

I reckon we have three. Wells, Grant and Boomer.

With the total lack of defensive pressure throughout the whole side every second week, Ash is going to have to wait. I don't think Laids wants to bring in a bloke who can't float back or forward when needed.

That said, I reckon he would make a us a better footy side, all things considered.

watched the port game and Ash isn't up to it yet. His disposal is overrated on this board. No more advanced than J Clayton or Mick Stevens imo. Less likely than clayton to be consistent and do the hard team things that we need at the moment.
So you're basing this on ONE Port game?!?

Heaven help me.

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
I reckon we have three. Wells, Grant and Boomer.

With the total lack of defensive pressure throughout the whole side every second week, Ash is going to have to wait. I don't think Laids wants to bring in a bloke who can't float back or forward when needed.

That said, I reckon he would make a us a better footy side, all things considered.

Don't agree with Grant, but that is fairly well documented. He hasn't got pace, and that is an area I believe we need as well as the disposal.

Boomer I reckon is a fair call, although I don't reckon he sets a lot of goals up via great positioning rather on the burst, good short kick.

I'll give you Boomer, not Grant.

I've only seen Watson in the four games he played last year, and based on that he has to come into the side. As others have said, we need all the skillful players we can get at the moment.

Anyone who can pass a ball over 40/50 meters and hit a target gets a spot as far as I'm concerned. Leigh Brown and Daniel Wells are about the only players I've seen hit targets consistently over long distances all year. (maybe that's a little harsh?)

I'm a big fan of Jess Sinclair, and had him in our top 5 players going into this year, but surely a stint in the reserves to try and find some form isn't unwarranted. And Watson's good form for Port surely deserves to be recognised also. A straight swap this week I hope.

now moti, without trying to be too harsh I feel as though I need to enlighten you on how much footy I've seen ash play.

apart from playing all of my junior footy with him, I would estimate that I've seen him play all bar about 3 or 4 games in the 3 years he has been in melbourne. on top of this, as a passionate kangaroos supporter and member I have seen all games the kangaroos have played in victoria this year. hence, I believe I am in a position to make comment as to whether ash should be in the side at the moment or not.

as you are aware, my belief is that he should definately be in, and if not promoted this week it would be an insult to the bloke's ability and to him as a person.

lets not beat around the bush - we were ordinary on saturday - make no mistake about it. so what do we do?? the obvious solution would be to make some changes, and that is exactly what needs to happen. who do you promote?? well, a bloke that features in the better players for the vfl affiliate week after week would have to be a chance, wouldn't he??

ash's pace and finishing skills will be of great use to the team at the moment, and i'm sure our forwards will agree. my question is - why take a guy at pick 14 and not play him?? it doesn't take a rhode scholar to work out which team ash should be in this week.

In answer to your question Carlos, no I'm basing my opinion on a few games this year and i was lucky enough to watch about a month of preseason training. It was during the simulated game time that he did not perform well against people he is in direct competition with, Stevens, Makepiece etc. He continually turned the ball over in the corridoor and you could see the Bible was unhappy. He may have improved since then, but i reckon this has stuck in Laidleys mind as it has mine. I still also believe that he has a lot to offer, but who do you really drop to put games under his belt? Is there anyone who is an older type in the team who is holding up his development that hasn't got the form to be retained on our list in the next couple of years? Tough call but Ash really has to dominate ganes at vfl level as did harris before he gets the call.

Tough call but Ash really has to dominate ganes at vfl level as did harris before he gets the call.

It's hardly possible to dominate from his position the way Port Melbourne play and the grounds they play on. There is little space on the wings, whereas I reckon his game is ideally suited to both Tesltra Dome and our style of play.

In answer to your question Carlos, no I'm basing my opinion on a few games this year and i was lucky enough to watch about a month of preseason training. It was during the simulated game time that he did not perform well against people he is in direct competition with, Stevens, Makepiece etc. He continually turned the ball over in the corridoor and you could see the Bible was unhappy. He may have improved since then, but i reckon this has stuck in Laidleys mind as it has mine.
I too saw alot of the preseason, including every praccy game and plenty of sessions. I too made the same observations (posted plenty on here during that time) that IMO Ash had let himself down a bit during the pre-season.

I can absolutely assure though that any perceptions formed during that time have been blown out of the water since the VFL season began. I've spoken to coaching staff and they are well aware of his form. The only thing keeping him out at the moment is a reluctance to go in with too many light bodies, especially after the Brisbane game. But he is very close.
I still also believe that he has a lot to offer, but who do you really drop to put games under his belt? Is there anyone who is an older type in the team who is holding up his development that hasn't got the form to be retained on our list in the next couple of years?
That is the conundrum. Seeing how they have used Harding the last 2 weeks, i'd prefer to see Ash in the team ahead of him.
Tough call but Ash really has to dominate ganes at vfl level as did harris before he gets the call.
I've been to every game in Victoria except the Bendigo game so far. Ash has been dominating. Not quite every week, but he has had very few games where he hasnt contributed and is now a genuinly good VFL player, just like those before him who have since stepped up. He deserves a crack. Over the whole season he has been excellent.

The coaching staff realise this, i assure you.

Originally posted by Carlos

I've spoken to coaching staff and they are well aware of his form.

Carlos,

Since you obviously have some info that most of us aren't privy to from speaking to the coaching staff, I'd be very curious to know where Urch is at as far as our coaches are concerned.

From memory he hasn't cracked it for an emergency spot as yet, yet seems to me to be ideally suited for the Tesltra Dome games we have coming up. He has a lot to learn yet, however so has Sansbury who is getting a game despite less than spectacular VFL form. In fact I would have thought the only thing stopping Urch from playing was lack of room in the side with Sinclair back to some reasonable form. Yet if they can find room for Eddie, I'd like to see Urch given a go sooner rather than later. He gives us the exact thing Eddie does not - hardness and poise IMHO.

Originally posted by vlad76
Carlos,

Since you obviously have some info that most of us aren't privy to from speaking to the coaching staff, I'd be very curious to know where Urch is at as far as our coaches are concerned.

From memory he hasn't cracked it for an emergency spot as yet, yet seems to me to be ideally suited for the Tesltra Dome games we have coming up. He has a lot to learn yet, however so has Sansbury who is getting a game despite less than spectacular VFL form. In fact I would have thought the only thing stopping Urch from playing was lack of room in the side with Sinclair back to some reasonable form. Yet if they can find room for Eddie, I'd like to see Urch given a go sooner rather than later. He gives us the exact thing Eddie does not - hardness and poise IMHO.
Without giving away too much (as requested), Urch was right in line for the Port Adelaide game. Up until the Wednesday he was in the squad as an emergency and was under consideration, however due to injury clouds over several players who's absence may have created match up problems for our coaching panel, it was decided to go with the saftey option of S.Clayton and Sansbury just in case. As it turned out, the players in question ended up playing.

The reluctance to play him in the main is simply his body shape. He is still very thin in the upper body, and while he gets away with it at VFL level, obviously its a different caper at the top. You can have a kid like him in the team if all other hands are on deck, but not when you've already got some clouds over seasoned players.

He'll get his turn soon though.

Remove this Banner Ad

ash watson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back