Competitions Ashes Comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Is anyone interested in a quick Ashes comp - played along the lines of the Pieman?
I know it's not footy but it'll probably dominate the sports headlines for the next 6 weeks as much as the footy will. So we might as well, eh?

Rules:
For each test, pick 4 players from the Australian team and post your "team" of 4 here. No doubling up on players. Do it before the first ball is bowled Friday night 16 June. No changes allowed once the game starts.
Each player will have a handicap (multiplier) value. See table below. The handicap stays the same until the end of the current test. New handicaps will be issued each test.
Substitute: If you choose a player who doesn't play and you didn't get a chance to change your pick before the test starts you get the first player on the handicap list who is not already in your team.
Rollovers: If you pick a team of four for any test but forget to pick a team for any subsequent test you simply get the team you had last time (with subs if necessary).

Scoring:
Players accumulate points as follows:
  • 1 pt per run scored first innings
  • 1.2 pts per run scored second innings
  • 5 pts per catch
  • 7 pts per stumping
  • 18 pts per wicket taken first innings
  • 20 pts per wicket taken second innings
Power Play: Each test you get to nominate ONE session where you get double points for your team. eg Day 1 Session 1, Day 4 session 2, etc. You can nominate your PP session right up to the resumption of play for that session (before first ball bowled). If you fail to nominate a session you get the last session of the match, however short or long that session may be. Rain interruptions to your Power Play are just bad luck.​

The total score for each player is multiplied by his handicap value.
Your team score is the sum of your four players's scores. Final team scores will be rounded down to the nearest integer.

I'll publish progress scores when I can (hopefully each day, at least) and at the end of each test.

Winner:
The team with the highest score for the test is the winner for that test.
Your team scores will be aggregated over the series and the highest score for the series is the overall winner.

I'll think up some corny name for the comp later (suggestions welcome). Maybe "The Piechuckers"?

Here are the handicaps. I've listed the 12 most likely to play and out of those I assume one of Hazelwood, Starc or Boland won't play. But I can add more players if it seems somebody else might get a game (eg Harris, Renshaw, Murphy).

OK, who's in? Be quick. You've only got until Friday night to enter.

1686846051152.png

(Mods, feel free to delete or move it somewhere else if you don't want a cricket comp here.)

Oh no! Now I feel guilty. Let me change mine, you were first by a mile

I'll take Labuschagne instead of Smith. I was weighing it up 50/50 anyway
OK, deal. :thumbsu:
(We could always differentiate in our powerplays so no big deal either way.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a bit of a whisper that Mitch Marsh might be selected. If so his handicap is 23.
OK, so that rumour was a crock but Hazelwood's playing instead of Starc.

Game starts in 25 minutes so get your teams in. We've got enough for a cosy comp already but it would be nice to get to say a dozen or so.

Otherwise I might have to prevail upon RandomDog to bring his unique tipping skills to bear ... :eek:

We have 10 entries so far. :thumbsu:
Nice effort at such short notice. (I only thought of doing this late last night)

If anybody wants to join later on they can. They just miss out on the score they would have got for any completed or partially played sessions (ie once the first ball is bowled in that session). Seeing the Poms will probably be 1-111 at lunch that's not too much lost opportunity, eh? :rolleyes:

We have 10 entries so far. :thumbsu:
Nice effort at such short notice. (I only thought of doing this late last night)

If anybody wants to join later on they can. They just miss out on the score they would have got for any completed or partially played sessions (ie once the first ball is bowled in that session). Seeing the Poms will probably be 1-111 at lunch that's not too much lost opportunity, eh? :rolleyes:
If they're 1 - 111 at lunch there'll be a lot people dining with one leg in the air. Is Dickie bird still alive?