Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Arizona Diary
20 Nov, 2012

The Mt Humphreys climb was torture, death and exhilaration all rolled into one.

I was down the back for most of the trip, and then got up the front for the last push up the mountain. Once we got to the top, I was pretty much ready to get home and get into a warm bed.

Skills are the part of training that I most look forward to. I sit at the back and don’t really do too well at the running, so I look forward to getting out there and showing off my skills.

The most challenging part so far has been rooming with James Polkinghorne. He’s a nice shy little kid, but there are days when I see a darker side to him, which I’m really starting to enjoy.

We’ve got two beds in the bedroom, and he likes to fold out the sofa in the lounge room. He brought the hard drive over to watch some movies and I think there are only so many times that I can watch ‘How to Lose a Guy in 10 days’ in two weeks.

AZ21(6).jpg

AZ24(1).jpg

Wait till he finds his radar again. Dangerous.

I'd be happier if he managed to find the ball and the leadership skills you would expect from a senior player. Two terrible games to start season 2013. Should be in the Reserves next week.

I'd be happier if he managed to find the ball and the leadership skills you would expect from a senior player. Two terrible games to start season 2013. Should be in the Reserves next week.

You could also say the same about Jed Adcock, players the young guys look to for leadership, but both have failed so far this season. Both have the character to turn it around, although you must question whether a young guy couldn't perform their role if their poor form continues.

Play him down back. Even if he doesn't get much of the footy at least he'll do a decent defensive job. Plus he can be quite damaging running off half back

Looks like he has already been put to pasture.

I know that's not unusual for him at this time of year, but we've finally got some kids putting pressure on his position, so I reckon it is time for voss to draw a line in the sand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant see him getting dropped unless finals are out of reach which seem sooner than later.

2 games with little impact in both when its needed is a pretty good way to get yourself dropped.

Maybe Sub next week? He has the speed and goal danger to BE a good Sub.

Been non-sighted really but can turn it around pretty quickly.I just reckon they will give him 2 or 3 more games on the POTENTIAL of being a VERY dangerous small forward.If we get to 1-4 or 1-5 and he has done moderately it might be seen differently.

Warren said the axe was not hovering over veteran Ash McGrath after a slow start to the season but admitted any underperforming players would feel the heat.

"There is pressure on for senior spots,'' he said. "We have depth, there is a group of guys in the seconds that are playing good consistent footy and pushing for a game.''

McGrath faces fitness test
April 24, 2013
Sam Lord

Ash McGrath is in a race against time to be fit to face Melbourne this Sunday at the Gabba. McGrath was subbed out at quarter time of last Sunday’s match against North Melbourne and is no certainty to play after receiving a heavy knock to his shin.

The veteran wasn’t the Lions’ only casualty last weekend, with Pearce Hanley suffering a corked leg which forced him to spend most of the final term on the interchange bench.

“Obviously the two boys who were removed with contact injuries – Ash McGrath at the start of the first quarter and then Pearce Hanley early in the fourth – will be monitored really closely and will have a fitness test to make sure they’re available for selection.”

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath
May 10, 2013

During the game against Sydney Swans, some of the commentators referred to your weight. You look fine to me Ash but I was wondering if there has been much change in your weight from when you first played with the Lions?- Sheryn from East Brisbane, QLD

Yeah just getting a bit older so the weight's getting a bit harder to keep off. I’m around my goal weight, but Blacky stitched me up in the commentary the other week which is always nice from one of your team mates.

Great news about the 3-Peat jumper! Are you rapt you’ll get to wear it against Ess and Coll? Any chance of it coming back for good?! - - Andrew from Coorparoo, QLD

Yeah it’ll be good to get back in the old jumper, it’s been a while since we've worn it. But I don't think it's back for good, we're only wearing it a couple of times this year.
Ooh_Aah-hero.jpg

Staker’s 'massive lift'
May 21, 2013
Michael Whiting

THE RETURN of Brent Staker was a huge inspiration behind the Brisbane Lions’ upset win over Essendon last weekend, says veteran Lion Ash McGrath.

McGrath said Lions co-captain Jonathan Brown used Staker's comeback as a motivational tool at several stages of the match. McGrath said it was not only a fairytale for Staker, but an inspiration to his teammates. "It's a massive lift. It's a lonely place being in the rehab group when you have two recos in a row," McGrath said.

McGrath, who turned 30 on Monday, said after a disappointing opening month to the season, the Lions players got together to right the ship. He said they showed signs over the final three quarters in a round six loss to the Sydney Swans, improved the following week in a narrow defeat to West Coast and finally hit their stride against the Bombers. "It's just going back to basics," he said. "We did that all through the NAB Cup, and kind of went away from that.

"All the boys got together and spoke their mind and told each other what needed to be done. We just got back to doing the simple things well, and I thought it showed on the weekend."

Lion does it for his people as Ash McGrath cherishes AFL's Indigenous Round
May 25, 2013
Greg Davis

HIS footy club and his people will be the two driving forces behind Brisbane defender Ash McGrath at the Gabba tonight. Four premiership points from the clash with Carlton will be cause for double celebration for the 30-year-old who cherishes the AFL's Indigenous Round.

"It's great that the AFL showcases what indigenous players have done for the game," he said. "It's a great concept. You not only want to perform for your footy club but you also want to perform for your family and the whole indigenous community. "It's also a pretty important game for us after our big win over Essendon last week. "Our confidence is up and our game plan is working well but you can never take a club like Carlton lightly. "They are very skilful and very dangerous. They touched us up here last year (Carlton beat Brisbane by 91 points in Round 2) so we know how good they are."

McGrath said Brisbane's win over Carlton in the NAB Cup grand final would be meaningless tonight. "Their forward line has completely changed since then," he said.

262893-ash-mcgrath.jpg

Ash McGrath and daughter Mikayla at a Lions recovery session. Picture: David Kapernick

Onya Ash...hope he tears it up against the Blues.

Ash needs to be back in the forward line! Clever forward. But, need to keep Jack and Tom rotating through. Green out for a while, and time for Doc to get the same opportunity.

Looked like he got subbed out of the game for playing shizen, which is rare for a small.

To quote what a wise man just said about Polks, he's not as good as he thinks he is...

Time for Ash McGrath to retire, or at least be dropped out of the senior side so a player of the future can get a regular run. He has has a terrible year so far this season and based on what I saw last night, there can be no justification for keeping him in the seniors. I agree with you dlanod, I think he has been drinking his own bath water for far too long. We just can't afford to carry senior players who are regularly playing lazy and dumb football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back