Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

McGrath's dad is very ill and some things are more important that football Dylan.

The guy is in a very confused place, so cut him some slack.

When things outside football are important factors it isn't as simple as Dylan suggests. How could you force a player in McGrath's position to sign a contract or be traded to another club when clearly he is unsure about what is best for Ash McGrath the person, let alone the footballer?

I would like to think that the club is supporting a player as a person and not just treating them as a commodity. I have started to sense a bit that I may be too idealistic in some people's opinion, but I would much rather support a club that wasn't 100% business minded and had a little heart.

When things outside football are important factors it isn't as simple as Dylan suggests. How could you force a player in McGrath's position to sign a contract or be traded to another club when clearly he is unsure about what is best for Ash McGrath the person, let alone the footballer?

I would like to think that the club is supporting a player as a person and not just treating them as a commodity. I have started to sense a bit that I may be too idealistic in some people's opinion, but I would much rather support a club that wasn't 100% business minded and had a little heart.

Agree completely. Great post.

McGrath's dad is very ill and some things are more important than football Dylan.

The guy is in a very confused place, so cut him some slack.

I know it is not the corporate world, but i know most firms would not be waiting on the indecisiveness of one individual if it in any way would be detrimental to the firm (knowing that by walking, the club gets sweet FA)

It sets a precedent for other players to delay signing contracts knowing they may be able to get to clubs without compo for us - obviously Ash may be a little different with the old man, but geez the club can't be a charity case. I am not trying to be harsh on Ash, but surprised that alot of you are more than happy for our club to get nothing for him whilst at the same time it strengthens an opposition club - i am really starting to get it from the club's persepctive now:confused:

For all intents and purposes i do hope he stays and he may do, but they are my feelings IF he does go - and it aint with my blessing.

but surprised that alot of you are more than happy for our club to get nothing for him whilst at the same time it strengthens an opposition club

I have never heard anyone say they would be happy to lose him for nothing.

Dylan12 - Ash's circumstances might be more complicated.

If he wanted to leave the club for whatever reason, surely he would have done so already.

As he's still with us, that can only mean that he wants to stay. Family circumstances would be the only thing that is the cause of uncertainty.

So this probably means that he does not really want to leave. Perhaps at the same time, he can't commit because of his family circumstances, and if he did so, and had to return to Perth, it would be a lot messier for him and the club to work out.

I guess I just have a bit more faith that Ash and the club know what they are doing.

So this probably means that he does not really want to leave. Perhaps at the same time, he can't commit because of his family circumstances, and if he did so, and had to return to Perth, it would be a lot messier for him and the club to work out.

I guess I just have a bit more faith that Ash and the club know what they are doing.

I hope you are right, but if his brother is still running around in the SANFL next year, I would be more than a little disappointed.

And Grim, I know no-one has said they would be happy for him to leave, but nontheless it seems that if he was to leave, it goes with blessing - not mine. I lost immediate family to a protracted illness whilst living in Perth and as tough as it is, sometimes you have to stick it out, but every family is different I guess.

I will just leave it there because there is no right/wrong answer. I am just concerned that it is all too common for our players to walk to the safety net of the PSD and get to where they want to go whilst we get nothing.

Besides a couple of boys at the club I have only met on one occasion, i do know a couple of Eagles boys pretty well, and as selfish as it is, i am only concerned with the club's interests - even the Eagles boys i know have said their own interest is them and not the club, which is fair enough. I am just trying to let you know where i am coming from that some guys don't care as much as we do about our club and that is why i come across pretty harsh on this issue - that may not include Ash, but as unsympathetic people think i am, i only care for the club, which surely is not a bad thing - yes i am over-protective and try not to get too attached to the guys (unlike many posters) although i do make exceptions for boys that make it crystal that they have no interest in leaving the mighty Lions. But that's me - hope you see where i am coming from:)

I know noithing about what is going on behind the scenes but consider if Ash has said that he would only accept a trade back to WA and neither of the WA sides are offering anything much in trade week. Protecting the club what you do is not give him away but hold on and try and use the extra time to resign him. If at the end of the day he does go into the PSD the club is in no worse position and he has to get through 5 clubs before he can get to his preferred club.

The other thing to consider is that there is probably serious doubt about whether Ash is going to be amongst the best 22 and where he will play. The club wouldn't want to be paying too much for a fringe 22 player and Ash would be wanting as much as he could but also might also be getting some guarantee of playing time from other clubs which would be attractive too him and might be looking for the same from the Lions.

I was more than happy to sink the boot in last year and I do think the current admin do tend to let things run on too long. That said I do think the Lions are usually in a difficult negotiating position compared to other clubs.

Link

Miller said, however, that the Tigers would be willing to look at uncontracted Brisbane Lion Ashley McGrath, who, Welsh aside, would be the best seasoned talent available at this stage.

McGrath has indicated he is interested in joining Fremantle and returning to his home state, but it might prove difficult for him to get past the five clubs ahead of the Dockers. It is unlikely that he would walk out on Brisbane for a Melbourne club.

Link

Carlton has turned its interest from the national draft to the December 11 pre-season draft. It will invite as many as five possible draftees to a 10-day training camp. It is also considering a play for uncontracted Lion Ashley McGrath.

I hope McGrath stays, I can't believe we are about to start December and there is still Lions leaving rumors flying around.

Because of his family situation is it possible the other clubs would bypass him on compassionate grounds?

You'd hope so.

The clubs voted for special provisions for Essendon to put Ramanauskas on the rookie list, you'd hope that they were compassionate in this case too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

It is believed Fremantle were interested in South Fremantle product Ashley McGrath, who was keen to return home. But the prospect of entering the draft and ending up in Melbourne, with five Victorian clubs to probably pick ahead of the Dockers, has prompted the 2003 premiership forward to remain with Brisbane.
He is expected to agree to a new one-year contract today or tomorrow.
McGrath played 15 games and kicked 20 of his 22 goals for the season before round 10, including a seasonhigh five in the Lions’ win over Fremantle at the Gabba. But he then struggled with injury.
The 24-year-old has played 98 matches for Brisbane since making his debut in 2001.

mcgrathdl9.jpg

well done on keeping him for the extra year though - you guys have done well to defend off all the attacks on your players.

Why didn't you try and trade him to Freo this year? what would you have wanted for him?

Why didn't you try and trade him to Freo this year? what would you have wanted for him?

Leigh made the comment at trade week that Hadley and Wood were the only two players to have asked to be traded. If McGrath didn't say he wanted to be traded there is not much the club can do, especially seeing as he is a best 22 player when fit and firing.

Link

Ash McGrath remains with Lions
Article from:
Robert Craddock
November 29, 2007 11:00pm

ELUSIVE forward Ash McGrath has re-signed with the Lions after almost leaving the club because of family reasons.
McGrath, 24, who joined Brisbane in 2001, has signed a one-year deal after spending much of the past few months in Western Australia, formerly his home state, mulling over his future.
"I was really close to heading home," McGrath said yesterday.
"I had family issues and I gave a lot of thought to nominating for the pre-season draft. But I had a good talk to Nigel Lappin, Chris Johnson and Darryl White and decided to stay another year and we will see how things go after that."
One of the reasons McGrath did not nominate for the draft is that his intention to join WA clubs West Coast or Fremantle would probably have been foiled.
"Teams like Richmond and Carlton had earlier picks so I might have ended up going to Richmond," he said.
"But I have no problems staying with Brisbane. I really love this club and I think the signs are good this year that our future looks bright."
Another incentive for McGrath to stay was that he has played 98 senior matches for the Lions. He would already have reached three figures had he not broken his arm late last season.
"It would have been nice if I had been on 99 games because I would have reached 100 in the first match of the season in Perth but it would still be good to do it in the second match (against Collingwood) at the Gabba," he said.
McGrath played 15 matches last season and, after his season ended with his broken arm, the Lions did not win another game.
McGrath kicked 20 goals in the first nine matches, including five against the Dockers in round 6.

mcgrathzg3.jpg

Link

Knee operation means Lions forward may miss opener
Article from:
Andrew Hamilton
January 25, 2008 11:00pm

LIONS forward Ash McGrath may miss the AFL premiership opener against West Coast at Subiaco Oval following a knee operation.
Coach Leigh Matthews said the premiership forward would be out of action until March after being forced to submit to minor surgery. It means he will miss at least the opening two pre-season games, leaving him with little time to press for selection in round 1.
McGrath had been on a full work load over the pre-season but had been experiencing soreness in the joint after each session.
Exploratory surgery to find the cause of the problem was booked and the decision was made to remove some inflamed cartilage that was causing the pain.
"He was doing all the work but he's been getting soreness," Matthews said.
"He's been feeling it for the last month and you can only put up with it for so long.
"It wasn't coming good so he got a bit of cartilage taken away, it's nothing major but it is just a question of how quickly he recovers."
His recovery will take about six weeks, ruling him out of the opening rounds of the NAB Cup and putting him in doubt for the round 1 clash against West Coast in March.
McGrath was due for his 100th game in round 2, a Friday night Gabba blockbuster against Collingwood.
But Matthews said the clever West Australian was still a chance to be ready for the premiership season because he had built a good fitness base over the pre-season.
"He has done pretty much a normal summer," Matthews said. "He has got a good fitness base, but he will be off his legs for a month or so, he will be hoping he can play in the March games."

mcgrathoa4.jpg

Link

Ash McGrath is also scheduled to be available to play this week but is expected to be given some tune-up games at the lower level. The Lions will be sweating on McGrath's return because he gives them the flexibility of being a crumbing forward who prides himself on his defensive prowess and can also be used in bursts through the midfield.

mcgrath6or0.jpg

Link

Lions are struggling to find fot goal kickers
Article from:
April 07, 2008 12:00am

BRISBANE'S desperate quest to find more goal kickers has suffered a blow with potential crumbing solution Ash McGrath battling injury. Nimble goalsneak McGrath sustained an ankle injury late in the Lions reserves match on the weekend which is set to delay is much-needed return against Port Adelaide on Saturday night.

Coach Leigh Matthews is lamenting the Lions' inability to convert a decent percentage of their forward 50 entries, relying heavily on tightly-marked big guns Jonathan Brown and Daniel Bradshaw.

Bradshaw (five) and Brown (one) were two of just five goal scorers as Brisbane managed 10 majors in their three-goal loss to Sydney at the Gabba on Saturday night.

Matthews knows he needs more scoreline contributors against the Power at Adelaide's AAMI Stadium, particularly from ground- level players.

"We only had six scorers and the goals that we got were from marks," he said today.

"We virtually got almost no crumbing goals and you need to do that to supplement your score because you can't depend on having nine or 10 goals from marks and that was the area of the game (that cost the Lions).

"Ash McGrath is a player with a proven history of being able to snaffle a goal or two, and he's kicked six in a league game once.

"We think Ash provides a lot of value to the team when he's fit and well."

While McGrath has been listed for a fitness test, Matthews indicated it was highly unlikely he would make his first senior appearance in 2008 against the Power.

The hard-chasing 24-year-old, a 2003 premiership player, was impressive in his second reserves match back from minor knee surgery before rolling his ankle.

"He got a couple of games under his belt and he'd played well so he was getting close to being considered for senior selection so that's unfortunate," Matthews said.

mcgrath8ef7.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back