Asif and Shoaib sent home for taking performance-enhancing drugs

Remove this Banner Ad

perhaps this is a pre-emptive strike, they knew the players would be tested by the ICC which could lead to harsher sanctions, they then get the players home and say oops we made a mistake no bans.

I wouldn't put it past the pcb.

also taken from cricinfo(for philhawk)

Salim Altaf, Director Operations, PCB, told Cricinfo that the board, as signatories to the ICC's Anti-Doping Policy (ADP), had carried out a routine test on 19 players at the end of September. The tests were put in place at the behest of Bob Woolmer, the Pakistan coach and are thought to be the first ever held in Pakistan cricket.

Romeo said:
Apparently Pakistan tv is reporting that Rana has been nabbed as well. Given that Asif relied more on seam movement than brawn you wonder why he did it unless it was injury recovery.

performance enhances do more than just make your muscles bigger, they can help you perform at your peak longer which would be helpful for a quick who might have to bowl 8-10 over spells on a 40 degree day.

cyclists are a good case, very few look like they could bench press much but the drugs can be useful for getting more out of their body.

This is a disgrace.
I love some of the Pakistan players (Asif and Afridi more than most Aus players) but this is ridiculous. They are out of control.
So much ability, yet they do crap like this. I can only hope Asif grows above this childish crap and performs to the potential he has.
Another reason why Pakistan have never been a permanent power in cricket, though they have had so much talent for years and years.

Remember Asif being sent home for disciplinary reasons whilst on the tour of England .Wonder why .

I dont think there is any doubt that there as been orchestrated drug using especially if Rana is also involved .

Even though you would expect something like this from Pakistan it still is shocking. I don't know what to think and would not be suprised to see even more implicated.

Romeo said:
Apparently Pakistan tv is reporting that Rana has been nabbed as well. Given that Asif relied more on seam movement than brawn you wonder why he did it unless it was injury recovery.
Obviousely it has something to do with Injury, because both of them had been injured for some time. Plus performing enhancing drugs dont just build bulk and muscle, they do what the name describes "enhance performance", so this can mean all sorts of things such as recovering from injury quicker and longer bursts of energy with the ball and in the field.

Pakistan cricket is a bloody joke, can they **** anything else up? And to think people were saying that they arnt a rabble and that they arnt in the centre of all the controversy that goes on, pull your hand off it :rolleyes: It was amazing how Asif seemed to bounce back to near career best form straight after he had an injury, i wonder how :confused: They should get a lengthy ban, shouldnt be anything less than a year.

Darrell Hair's reaction

66524.jpg

It'll probably get lost in the mess, but good on Pakistani cricket (seems like Bob Woolmer insisted on it) for finally introducing a drug testing regime for themselves. From reports it's the first series of testing they've even performed and although it's a bad result, it's good that something is finally been done to clean things up. Hopefully the other countries that don't have such schemes will get them into place posthaste.

Kane McGoodwin said:
Huge news. Pakistanis seem to find ever way of self-destructing. Will be interesting to see how the ICC treat this. Expect the end of Shoaib's career.

It was a PCB so I'd assume it's in their court what to do about it, and from there, into their courts I'd expect.

I fear the Warne case will be used as an example and they'll get the same penalty ( 1 year ) when 2 is, I believe, the world doping authority minimum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarryd_S said:
They're from the Sub-Continent, watch them get off with a light punishment.

Bingo.

I just amazed we haven't had any moronic Poms in this thread with irrational references to Warney yet.

Edited cause I'm a moron who can't spell.. which makes me a hypocrite :)

mr_cellotape said:
Bingo.

I just amazed we having had any moronic Poms in this thread with irrational references to Warney yet.

Yeah i really felt for poor fatty warne. *SHAKES FIST AT MRS WARNE*

:rolleyes:

(There's your first irrational pom :) )

And so it begins...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,20589658-23212,00.html

Akhtar has protested his innocence in an internet posting, while Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer said his bowlers might have inadvertently absorbed the banned substance during treatment for recent injuries.

Akhtar, 31, who was looking forward to a comeback after a long injury lay-off, protested his innocence and said he is "gutted" to miss the tournament.

"I cannot say much at this time about what has happened but I just want to assure everyone that I am innocent of doing anything I shouldn't have," he said in his diary on the Bigstarcricket.com website.

"All I can say is that I have not knowingly taken any performance enhancing drugs and would never cheat my teammates or opponents in this way."

Predictable. And possibly true. Hopefully it gets sorted out appropriately.

CrazyQ said:
Well you really cant bag Asif or Shoaib, Warne did take an illegal substance too.

Ahh, finally. Someone who demonstrates a lack of logic.

Warne = diuretic = not performance enhancing

Shoaid & Asif = (allegedly) steroid = performance enhancing

Or is that too complex for you?

mr_cellotape said:
Ahh, finally. Someone who demonstrates a lack of logic.

Warne = diuretic = not performance enhancing

Shoaid & Asif = (allegedly) steroid = performance enhancing

Or is that too complex for you?

Fool.

Diuretic's are a well known steroid-masking agent - they are banned for a reason.

spanna050 said:
Fool.

Diuretic's are a well known steroid-masking agent - they are banned for a reason.

Masking agent (which has other non-sinister uses) autoimatically equals steroid use? Mate, you're in desperate need of an education.

Banned substance does not equal performance enhancing drug. I'm not even particularly a Warne fan. I'm just here because I knew people would try to bring up these idiotic arguments. And they're just not relevant or appropriate.

(This is, of course, assuming that these doping allegations against the Pakistanis are true, which, considering their own management and coach have admitted as much, seems to be the case).

mr_cellotape said:
Masking agent (which has other non-sinister uses) autoimatically equals steroid use? Mate, you're in desperate need of an education.

Banned substance does not equal performance enhancing drug. I'm not even particularly a Warne fan. I'm just here because I knew people would try to bring up these idiotic arguments. And they're just not relevant or appropriate.

(This is, of course, assuming that these doping allegations against the Pakistanis are true, which, considering their own management and coach have admitted as much, seems to be the case).

I never said he was using steroids mate. I was just putting the facts out there and I'll say it again - it is a known steroid-masking agent and is on the banned substance list for that very reason.

If you choose to believe that he took it for vanity reasons when he was coming back from an injury, and his mum gave it to him, and he didn't check the banned substance list, because Warnie's an honest, reputable guy, then be my guest.

Perhaps that story about Shane Warne's mum "advising" the Pakistani cricketers on grooming and appearance may be correct?

Memo to Pakistan: blame your mothers, and then start a Charity.
It gets you popular again!

Remove this Banner Ad

Asif and Shoaib sent home for taking performance-enhancing drugs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back