Rumour Assistant Coach Gossip

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not too sure what happened there. At one stage a few months back I think he wanted a senior assistant title and Port baulked at that. Then they circled back to him but it never eventuated.

I think they've made a conscious decision to punt this upcoming season and then go into 2026 afresh with a largely new coaching staff as most of them are off contract at the end of next year.
Re para 2, that's way too sensible for our clubs decision makers. Their MO is to create a mess then say we can't afford to fix the mess without actually admitting they created the mess.

So Luke Kelly's role was so insignificant it can easily be absorb by an already existing position?

So why was he hired in the first place?
Shouldn't they know what responsibilities he would have prior to hiring?

It's great that a team that finished in the top 4 is tanking while setting up to not renew their coach and wasting a year of their players careers instead of just making a decision. I guess that would make some people unhappy and cost some money and we can't do that.
Too many egos at the club to admit they got it wrong with Ken. So they keep telling members that making the 8 is a great achievement & ignore the regular finals floggings as if they never happened. Hide the coach till it all calms down. Rinse & repeat.

We all have

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
There would be quite a few clubs that would trade there list for ours. Seems like a strange time to throw the towel in when we've been top 4 4/5 years and we've got a large chunk of our list entering their prime years.

Yeah yeah Hinkley this Hinkley that, but the club has backed him to have one last crack, so why are we all treating this year like it is 2011?

If the season was just going to be written off, it makes it even more baffling that we are going around again with Hinkley.

I'm just confused with where we are at. Nothing is really making sense to me.

We aren't rebuilding, we should be going all in, but instead we've gone with the worst coaching group since the Ryan McMillan and Laidley on Skype days.

Re para 2, that's way too sensible for our clubs decision makers. Their MO is to create a mess then say we can't afford to fix the mess without actually admitting they created the mess.

They spoke to so many assistants with the view of potentially bringing them in for this season, and then all of a sudden they pulled the pin and stayed with the status quo.

Something has happened to change their plans for 2025.

Career killer working under Hinkley
When Schofield signs a 2 year (?) contract extension at Alberton, and then barely 6 months later, leaves suddenly after the 2021 PF disaster, to me that's very loud alarm bells. Maybe the word has permeated throughout the AFL by now - don't work with this bloke: he's a dictator!!!

Well they have to make a decision because Ken's contract expires end of next year. So your premise is inherently false.
I am clearly referencing making a decision to change the coaching panel rather than maintaining the coaching panel.

The same decision making process we took the easy option on at the end of 2023.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it fair to say we're run by total self-serving idiots trying to save their cushy jobs Chewy?

I don't think they're trying to save their jobs per se, because there are no jobs that need saving in the first place.

I understand that the sport has changed since the days of The Creed, but there is too big a focus on financials.

Put it this way, if the Club was considered a business rather than a sporting organisation, they'd be hitting the mark. But it's a sporting organisation and needs to be looked at through that prism.

I am clearly referencing making a decision to change the coaching panel rather than maintaining the coaching panel.

The same decision making process we took the easy option on at the end of 2023.

Well they've already made the decision for Carr to be the next coach - the only question at this point is when he is going to take over.

But if they don't pull the trigger at the end of 2025, that would give Ken an extension until end of 2027 (they would never extend for only 12 months), which at that point you'd have to ask the question whether Carr will ever be coach - given that it would be ridiculous to have made that decision back in 2023 with a view of not enacting that decision until the end of 2027.

And if Carr has actually signed a contract, getting out of that will be an extremely costly exercise.

They could do worse than give Lauren Arnell a role, even Luke Kelly's assistant assistant role.
Well they've already made the decision for Carr to be the next coach - the only question at this point is when he is going to take over.

But if they don't pull the trigger at the end of 2025, that would give Ken an extension until end of 2027 (they would never extend for only 12 months), which at that point you'd have to ask the question whether Carr will ever be coach - given that it would be ridiculous to have made that decision back in 2023 with a view of not enacting that decision until the end of 2027.

And if Carr has actually signed a contract, getting out of that will be an extremely costly exercise.

You can just imagine the Sliding Doors discussion

We can't afford to sack Ken, it would be financially irresponsible!

We have to pay out Carr to extend Ken but hey, it's only money right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think they're trying to save their jobs per se, because there are no jobs that need saving in the first place.

I understand that the sport has changed since the days of The Creed, but there is too big a focus on financials.

Put it this way, if the Club was considered a business rather than a sporting organisation, they'd be hitting the mark. But it's a sporting organisation and needs to be looked at through that prism.

Until they have announced it publicly I won't believe that decision has been made.

Too many times they have made (or allowed) it be seen one way to buy themselves time only to not follow through when the time came.

I am at the point of only believing their publicly visible actions not their words.

No way Carr has a contract to be next coach, that just sounds odd doesn't it.

You're either it or your not.

I have no idea why Carr would sign such a deal, i'd say that's just chatter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Assistant Coach Gossip

Remove this Banner Ad

Back