Rumour Assistant Coach Gossip

Remove this Banner Ad

They prefer to appoint from within, so I'm guessing Hartlett will take Kelly's position - not that he was ever able to play as a mid.

Getting some in from outside is needed for a fresh look at our systems, particularly the forwards.

Replacing Chad Cornes is a necessity IMHO.

Jarryd Lyons was talking to Port.
1729461160561.png

They prefer to appoint from within, so I'm guessing Hartlett will take Kelly's position - not that he was ever able to play as a mid.

Getting some in from outside is needed for a fresh look at our systems, particularly the forwards.

Replacing Chad Cornes is a necessity IMHO.
That will be the icing on the cake. Hartlett, Cornes, Lobbe. FML.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did we not give Jade Rawlings a go somewhere in the coaching group? right there under our nose and settled in Adelaide, ah well off to Freo not sure why we don't look at successful SANFL coaches tbh let alone one with previous AFL experience.

Why did we not give Jade Rawlings a go somewhere in the coaching group? right there under our nose and settled in Adelaide, ah well off to Freo not sure why we don't look at successful SANFL coaches tbh let alone one with previous AFL experience.
We are very insular. Happens when the top is wrotten football wise.

Maybe we could get Lidia Thorpe and she can shout at him at press conferences. "You're not my coach!"

We are very insular. Happens when the top is wrotten football wise.

I'm not sure thats always by design.. wasnt it the crows who recently pointed out its difficult to get assistant coaches across to SA, as opposed to Vic as there is simply more options for them there and they dont need to uproot.

That doesnt explain why someone like Rawlings may not have been looked at, but its clear its more difficult to pull assistant coaches out of vic than it is to have them move from one vic club to another. Often the salary isnt at a level that people want to uproot and move insterstate for a 2 yr contract that they could get locally, they are generally at an age with kids in school etc. I doubt that I would move a young family interstate on 2/3 year contract sub 200K.

I'm not sure thats always by design.. wasnt it the crows who recentlyu pointed out its difficult to get assitant coaches across to SA, as opposed to Vic as there is simply more options for them there and they dont need to uproot.

That doesnt explain why someone like Rawlings may not have been looked at, but its clear its more difficult to pull assistant coaches out of vic than it is to have them move from one vic club to another. Often the salary isnt at a level that people want to uproot and move insterstate for a 2 yre contract that they could get locally, they are generally at an age with kids in school etc.
Fair points & no doubt that's some of the reasons. But wouldn't a young, but talented, assistant coach from interstate want to come & work under the great Ken Hinkley for a couple of years? Wouldn't they think they could learn so much from him? Surely a coach that has had such a long tenure would be viewed as someone highly desirable to work under.

I have no issues with internal promotions when they are justified, but that is not the case at Port Adelaide.We will hear about how hard it is to attract a quality assistant, but I would ideally like someone who has been involved in some recent success at the top level. At the very least make some serious attempts to lure them. Not sure how much effort was truly put into getting Stuart Dew for example.

Just a quick glance of the current coaching setup, I don't think we really have anyone that ticks that box unless I have missed it? Even Hinkley's last involvement in an AFL Premiership was 2009 as an Assistant at Geelong, years before he got the Senior Gig.

I have no issues with internal promotions when they are justified, but that is not the case at Port Adelaide.We will hear about how hard it is to attract a quality assistant, but I would ideally like someone who has been involved in some recent success at the top level. At the very least make some serious attempts to lure them. Not sure how much effort was truly put into getting Stuart Dew for example.

Just a quick glance of the current coaching setup, I don't think we really have anyone that ticks that box unless I have missed it? Even Hinkley's last involvement in an AFL Premiership was 2009 as an Assistant at Geelong, years before he got the Senior Gig.
The Crows just poached Murray Davis off the premiership-winning Brisbane Lions.

Remarkable what can be achieved when you actually try, some of these people who say its hard to attract coaches to Adelaide make it sound like they'd be moving their families to war-torn Somalia.

Like you said - I have grave doubts over how hard we really try sometimes at these things.

Fair points & no doubt that's some of the reasons. But wouldn't a young, but talented, assistant coach from interstate want to come & work under the great Ken Hinkley for a couple of years? Wouldn't they think they could learn so much from him? Surely a coach that has had such a long tenure would be viewed as someone highly desirable to work under.

Again a lot of my points stand, a young talented assistant coach is also likely to have options in Vic at virtually the same $, and if we are honest we all know Hinkley is likley to be done at the ned of his curren t gig at the latest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Assistant Coach Gossip

Remove this Banner Ad

Back