Rumour Assistant Coach Gossip

Remove this Banner Ad

The Crows just poached Murray Davis off the premiership-winning Brisbane Lions.

Remarkable what can be achieved when you actually try, some of these people who say its hard to attract coaches to Adelaide make it sound like they'd be moving their families to war-torn Somalia.

Like you said - I have grave doubts over how hard we really try sometimes at these things.

Davis was put into a newly created role of coaching director though, so there would be a much greater financial incentive than just as an assistant coach.

When Hinkley's gone there should be scope for more creativity in building a support network around the new coach just like we did when Hinkley started.

Again a lot of my points stand, a young talented assistant coach is also likely to have options in Vic at virtually the same $, and if we are honest we all know Hinkley is likley to be done at the ned of his curren t gig at the latest.
My point also stands. There has been plenty of time under Hinkleys tenure to attract such a coach(es). Assistants (like most industries) want to work under the best coaches irrespective of moving interstate. It's a good career move that will pay off down the track. And the same $ in SA go further than Vic & Nsw. And if need be offer them more money & have less assistants to afford it. We need quality not quantity. We need assistants from winning cultures who can bring new ideas & new strategies.

My point also stands. There has been plenty of time under Hinkleys tenure to attract such a coach(es). Assistants (like most industries) want to work under the best coaches irrespective of moving interstate. It's a good career move that will pay off down the track. And the same $ in SA go further than Vic & Nsw. And if need be offer them more money & have less assistants to afford it. We need quality not quantity. We need assistants from winning cultures who can bring new idea & new strategies.

I might be missing your point, are are suggesting we need better assistants (even if it means less) ?
If so I cant disagree with you, our current coaching panel is as weak as any in the comp, even if you exclude the obvious dislike of Hinkley.

Historically we have done ok bringing seniors in: Richardson, Nicks, Walsh, Voss who have all left and become head coaches among them. But in recent times it has been very thin.

It will be interesting to see who/wahat we can do under Carr down the track. I hope we dont thing we can just roll Carr into the head role, promote a midfield coach from within, turn the key and see improvement.

in fairness to Hartlett he was fed an absolute shit sandwich this year. The squad lacked a bit of depth to begin with but untimely injuries, suspensions and poor scheduling meant quite often we were fielding sides in the SANFL that were just not up to it. I'm not sure any coach would've done a lot better with our team sheets.

Never quite understood the Sutcliffe and Lobbe hate too, what is the evidence that they are horrible at coaching? I just find it incredibly difficult to make that judgement, is it because you didn't like them as players so they must be terrible at coaching too?

Assessing all our coaches performance, and it's pretty clear cut that the Hinkley criticism is justified, he has been there 12 years and as head coach hasn't taken us to a GF let alone a flag and is in charge of a game pan that has proven time and time again that is doesn't stand up in finals.

Chad Cornes deserves criticism too, the forward line he was in charge of was a mess for most of the season.

I personally believe though that Chad Cornes was best suited for the Magpies role, it wasn't just about development for the AFL team, he understood the importance of winning those games. We were highly competitive in the SANFL with him as coach.

We are in desperate need of at least one more higher profiled assistant line coach.

Again a lot of my points stand, a young talented assistant coach is also likely to have options in Vic at virtually the same $, and if we are honest we all know Hinkley is likley to be done at the ned of his curren t gig at the latest.
But do we really?

Sent from my SM-A556E using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be missing your point, are are suggesting we need better assistants (even if it means less) ?
If so I cant disagree with you, our current coaching panel is as weak as any in the comp, even if you exclude the obvious dislike of Hinkley.

Historically we have done ok bringing seniors in: Richardson, Nicks, Walsh, Voss who have all left and become head coaches among them. But in recent times it has been very thin.

It will be interesting to see who/wahat we can do under Carr down the track. I hope we dont thing we can just roll Carr into the head role, promote a midfield coach from within, turn the key and see improvement.
Well I obviously want Hinkley out. But yes I'm suggesting if we need to pay more to get better quality assistants then pay more & reduce the overall number of assistant coaches.

But the main point I'm making is that a coach who has survived as long as Ken should be a very good coach with plenty to offer assistant coaches. So there should be a queue out the door but heh there's not.

in fairness to Hartlett he was fed an absolute shit sandwich this year. The squad lacked a bit of depth to begin with but untimely injuries, suspensions and poor scheduling meant quite often we were fielding sides in the SANFL that were just not up to it. I'm not sure any coach would've done a lot better with our team sheets.

Never quite understood the Sutcliffe and Lobbe hate too, what is the evidence that they are horrible at coaching? I just find it incredibly difficult to make that judgement, is it because you didn't like them as players so they must be terrible at coaching too?

Assessing all our coaches performance, and it's pretty clear cut that the Hinkley criticism is justified, he has been there 12 years and as head coach hasn't taken us to a GF let alone a flag and is in charge of a game pan that has proven time and time again that is doesn't stand up in finals.

Chad Cornes deserves criticism too, the forward line he was in charge of was a mess for most of the season.

I personally believe though that Chad Cornes was best suited for the Magpies role, it wasn't just about development for the AFL team, he understood the importance of winning those games. We were highly competitive in the SANFL with him as coach.

We are in desperate need of at least one more higher profiled assistant line coach.
Lobbe had one really good season. He lacked killer instinct & was a fairly laconic player imo. My issue with Hartlett is already documented. Sutcliffe I know little about from an Afl perspective.

I want assistant coaches who played with a never say die attitude, a win at all cost mentality & demonstrated a good football brain. They are the minimum qualities I want.

Cam Sutcliffe was on our AFL list after being delisted by Freo. I've never understood why. Below average in every aspect. Made captain and marquee player of the Magpies which was an extremely poor appointment. Terrible on field leader.

Let's look at Craig McRae as an example.

Involved in sports admin roles after playing. McRae qualified as a teacher while still playing with Brisbane. When he closed his playing career after the 2004 Grand Final, McRae had development coaching roles at Richmond and Brisbane, then in 2011-15, he was head of development at Collingwood. It was then back to Richmond as a key assistant and then head coach of the Tigers' VFL team, then a stint as an assistant at Hawthorn.
Sutcliffe.
Went straight from the SANFL into a development role in our AFLW program and after one year to the AFL mens. What qualifications does he hold? Certificates, studies? Where is the work at lower levels? Jobs for the boys.
What qualifications and experience does Matthew Lobbe have to hold the position 'Head of Development ' at a professional sporting organisation?
Hartlett. Don't get me started.
Hate? I'm bloody furious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Assistant Coach Gossip

Remove this Banner Ad

Back