Astbury

Remove this Banner Ad

Therefore you wouldn't take Darling with pick 4 this year even if he was available as he is 190cm and growing??? That would mena we have 4 young KPF's.

If Griffiths and Astbury show enough I think we have to go another midfielder...continue bolstering that midfield and we will be on the way up very soon.

We have to go best available no matter what mate.

From all reports Darling could play midfield and even if he cant, he sounds like a massive upgrade on Astbury, we could always trade away a KPF down the track if we were lucky enough to find ourselves in a position to do so.

Big risk not to take best available and rely on our current crop reaching their potential.

We have to go best available no matter what mate.

From all reports Darling could play midfield and even if he cant, he sounds like a massive upgrade on Astbury, we could always trade away a KPF down the track if we were lucky enough to find ourselves in a position to do so.

Big risk not to take best available and rely on our current crop reaching their potential.

Interesting.

I think if we had the choice between say an elite mid like Gaff or Darling then would go with the need.

Top 5 mids are essentially no risk sure things these days and hence why I don't think we would lose out in taking him or any other dominant 18 yr old mid. Just look at what Martin has done in 8 games this year.

Personally I would love to see another gun so we could be looking like:

Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Foley, Gaff, Jackson, Collins, Edwards

There is some depth starting to build there, the kind of depth that will take us to a premiership.

Therefore you wouldn't take Darling with pick 4 this year even if he was available as he is 190cm and growing??? That would mena we have 4 young KPF's.

If Griffiths and Astbury show enough I think we have to go another midfielder...continue bolstering that midfield and we will be on the way up very soon.

Can never get enough talls – EVER!!!
We have had such a poor return with the ones we have chosen that we need to keep picking them to get the right one.
Midfielders are a dime a dozen.
Any ol’ hack can be turned into a decent midfiuelder if given the chance to run and find his own ball.

This bloke appears to me to have bulked up a bit in good time !!
I was impressed with his presence in a couple of contests last night, looks to have good skills. Thoughts ?

Two to three pre seasons under the belt to give him a bigger tank and strength and the kid could do anything. Does seem a natural forward.

Yeah but you don't use pick 4 on defenders unless it is Sam Day or another awesome KPP.

I agree though one of our second picks goes to defenders.

Asbtury could have the ability to go back there TBH but I love the look of him at CHF.

If you look at the hawks they took too many KPF's and have wasted 2 picks as a result aka Beau Dowler who is a talented FF if he gets the chance and Mitch Thorph (mental problems also).

lets not get our hopes up just yet for Astbury... history indicates good KPF are usually taken very early in the draft, why this guy was left to pick 35 is a question that we must consider.

He has looked ok but without development he could be just another cleve hughes/jay shulz

lets not get our hopes up just yet for Astbury... history indicates good KPF are usually taken very early in the draft, why this guy was left to pick 35 is a question that we must consider.

He has looked ok but without development he could be just another cleve hughes/jay shulz

Bradshaw pick 56, Fev pick 38, Goodes 43, there is more to it than some draft number. It's what you do with them when you get them to the club.

For now Astbury looks to be ticking the right boxes so in a few years he could be an AFL player or playing country footy?

Oh and please don't compare him to Cleve Hughes, nobody deserves that;)

Pick 4 has to be a KPF.

Why do we want to repeat the folly of the Wallace/Miller era by ignoring KPP.

People have been decrying this oversight ad-nauseum , lets not repeat it.

We need decent defenders, not mids, not forwards.. DEFENDERS!!!
I'd give Post and Gourdis a fair go at FB and CHB before we go in the draft looking for 2-3 KPD. and Rance will probably also be a swingman.

If you look at the hawks they took too many KPF's and have wasted 2 picks as a result aka Beau Dowler who is a talented FF if he gets the chance and Mitch Thorph (mental problems also).
too many is better than not enough. what if Griff and Astbury turn out to be duds then we will be very much f*cked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd give Post and Gourdis a fair go at FB and CHB before we go in the draft looking for 2-3 KPD. and Rance will probably also be a swingman.

My thoughts exactly! i really like this idea, Post is a natural CHB and Gourdis will play seniors after rd 11 as our FB i reckon.

Gourdis has size,strength,speed and great hands.....the perfect weapons to make a good FB.

As much as i like Thursty and Mcguane, i think that thursty will be kept around in a 3rd defender type roll like Fletcher/Gilbert etc etc.

Mcguane could be the one that unfortunatly gets over run by these guys, which is a shame because i rate him as a defender and he wears his heart on his sleeve and really plays for the club.

Astbury will be a lead up CHF, thats his best position IMO and the swingman roll should be left to Rance.

Griff and Jacky boy to play from the square could be a match made in heaven for our club.

Hears hoping it all pans out! :thumbsu:

Mcguane could be the one that unfortunatly gets over run by these guys, which is a shame because i rate him as a defender and he wears his heart on his sleeve and really plays for the club.
i think at the end of this year we will be trading one of McGuane, Moore or Thursfield. we would probably get a late second rounder for any of those if clubs are interested.

Everyweek he has played I have liked what I have seen. Got lots of talent, footy smarts and for his size he is very athletic. For a young big guy was very good in the wet conditions!:thumbsu:

Everyweek he has played I have liked what I have seen. Got lots of talent, footy smarts and for his size he is very athletic. For a young big guy was very good in the wet conditions!:thumbsu:
He goes for the ball bloody hard for a big kid. And he gets it out cleanly which is even bigger. He is a player.

I think we are seeing the emergence of someone special here , the most promising one touch key sized forward we've seen for a long long time , haven't seen him do a lot of contested marking ?

still wet bh the ears and doesnt make tyhe contests he should in front half, have seen his best work in defence, Id continue to play him in back for balance of season to aid his development, i like the look of him

I agree with the last few posts. He is looking special. Definitely going under the radar at the moment which is great. Amcre and PTF hit the nail on the head... Knows where to go and is one touch.

I have the feeling the big looser will be Morton. Just dont see how he can work in a forward structure with Griff, Jack and Astbury.

He( Morton ) will have to become a Stevie J type forward which he is more than capable , provided he improves the defensive side of his game !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Astbury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back