At the end of their respective careers, Cotchin >>>>>>>>>> J. Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

No. If Shannon Byrnes plays in a premiership team this year (yes, I said "if", not putting it "in the bag") then your argument would hold true.

Selwood could actually win the Brownlow this year. Ablett does not poll well because umps have long memories, and Ablett was a habitual whinger to umpires up until 2007 (and before everyone vents on that, this is the exact reason why Wayne Carey never won a Brownlow). Jimmy B could poll well, but his disposal has been below par this year, whilst Selwood has been superb week in week out.

If you've seen both Cotchin and Selwood every game this year, I'll bow to your greater knowledge... but I've seen every game Selwood's played, and more than 1/2 of Cotchin's... and Selwood has him covered... totally

You're right in the sense that Selwood has be to good enough in his first two seasons to play in both Grand Finals, which is definately true, but actually having 2 GF medals doesn't make him better than Cotchin, and Richmond haven't had the chance to have him in a GF(and probably won't:D), but it doesn't make sense to say one's better than the other because of it.

Ha ha your all jealous, everyone wants Joel Selwood in their team and you flogs just show how dumb you are comparing him to Cotchin.

I mean it's a bit like comparing Humphrey Bear to Fat Cat in similarities....Both wore no pants but that's about it!

Funny this thread has come up as i was gonna start one myself.

I had this debate with a guy i work with who surprisingly happens to b a Richmond supporter who said Cotchin is the best 1st player ever which i responded to with r u kidding how can ya say that when he will b lucky to even win the Rising star award. I said Joel Selwood was one of the best i've seen 1st year in the game.
His comeback was that Selwood was playing in a superior side which made it easier than a guy who played in a lower side which to me says he thinks that Selwood is a receiver who gets the ball fed to him better coz he plays in a better side.
Well as far as i'm concerned just to break into that side thats so powerful is a great feat and not forgetting the guy didn't play for most of the season b4.
I will b the 1st to say Cotchin will b a gun but for the comments that he is better than him now is just absurd.
The 2 of them will b head and head at the end of their careers for me.

Exactly.

The 'playing for a superior side' debate's really a double edged sword. You have to ask - what's he doing in the side in the first place?

Just being part of such a great side, let alone excelling, speaks volumes.

No. If Shannon Byrnes plays in a premiership team this year (yes, I said "if", not putting it "in the bag") then your argument would hold true.

Selwood could actually win the Brownlow this year. Ablett does not poll well because umps have long memories, and Ablett was a habitual whinger to umpires up until 2007 (and before everyone vents on that, this is the exact reason why Wayne Carey never won a Brownlow). Jimmy B could poll well, but his disposal has been below par this year, whilst Selwood has been superb week in week out.

If you've seen both Cotchin and Selwood every game this year, I'll bow to your greater knowledge... but I've seen every game Selwood's played, and more than 1/2 of Cotchin's... and Selwood has him covered... totally

will finish will double figure votes but i doubt he can win it. Jimmeh will go closest for Geelong, Gaz has missed to many games and only played a half ina couple as well.

im basing gibbs on
1. shutting down the best player from each side every week
2. using the ball more effectively than the other to

cotchin will be very good, and selwood will probably be at the level as say a sam mitchell or somebody like that. but gibbs will be a freak.

flipping hilarious. a tagger is going to be better than two of the most creative, damaging, hard at it young midfielders in the comp.

And which superstars has he shut down every week exactly? Adam Goodes on one leg, and.......?

Cornes with one hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

flipping hilarious. a tagger is going to be better than two of the most creative, damaging, hard at it young midfielders in the comp.

And which superstars has he shut down every week exactly? Adam Goodes on one leg, and.......?

mate instead of backspacing half my post u shud have realised i also said he uses the ball better aswell so if uve got a player who is getting just as many touches and using the ball just as efficientely whilst hes also shutting down the opposition player wouldnt u prefer that player?

mate instead of backspacing half my post u shud have realised i also said he uses the ball better aswell so if uve got a player who is getting just as many touches and using the ball just as efficientely whilst hes also shutting down the opposition player wouldnt u prefer that player?

What LLD is trying to say is that he's shutting down players who are already half shut-down by way of their own injuries.

at the end of their respective careers, Gibbs>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cotchin&Selwood

Haha you would have to be joking?

Right now Selwood >>>>>>>>>>>> Cotchin >>> Gibbs.

Tagging someone doesn't make you a superstar, Cotchin moves better than 95% of the league already with a brilliant footy brain and no pre-seaosn under his belt and Selwood is bordering on being a bona fide gun, no-one since Judd has been in that position in their second year.

I am convinced Selwood has been adopted actually, looking at his brothers play :)

At the end of their careers based on potential I would say

Selwood = Cotchin >> Gibbs :thumbsu::thumbsu:

And he's not getting as many touches as Selwood, contested or not, and not as many clearances either.

From an article in the HS today:

'And there is no doubting the quality of Selwood's disposals.
Of his 49 kicks inside 50, 45 per cent have resulted in a Geelong mark, which ranks him third in the AFL'

I'd say thats some pretty good disposal.

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of their respective careers, Cotchin >>>>>>>>>> J. Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back