At their best, who was the best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not including Harvey, Carey and Ablett Senior who i would have ahead of these I would go Voss who proved too many times on the big stage how good he is, then maybe Judd

Who cares about Carey, the thread asked for those 5. No need to start including players from the team you support.

[one eyed view]Goodes is better than everyone to have ever played the game when at his best.[/one eyed view]

Voss names Buckley as the best he played against and Hird names Buckley and Archer. That's good enough for me.

Hird has many times stated that Carey was the greatest player he has seen. He reiterated this again this year on "On the Couch".

Who cares about Carey, the thread asked for those 5. No need to start including players from the team you support.

[one eyed view]Goodes is better than everyone to have ever played the game when at his best.[/one eyed view]

Lol...wait you're serious:confused:

That is really hard. I have to look at 2005 and 2006 and Judd just played a game no one else could play.

But in a way I want to say Buckley and a player you don't have on the list, Rob Harvey.

Because both were right up there and did not play in superstar midfields (Ablett, Voss, Judd) or superstar teams (Hird).

They both copped every bit of attention the opposition could throw at them, shouldered it alone and still were dominant players for their teams. And they both redefined the way midfielders play, Harvey with his running and Buckley with his versatility.

Yeah i am a huge Robert Harvey Fan should have been included because he was the best.

Hird has many times stated that Carey was the greatest player he has seen. He reiterated this again this year on "On the Couch".

Not in the 3 articles I have in front of me. I think he meant Carey was the greatest player to destroy his club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me Hird. Anyone that can dominate in the middle, then go forward and win the game off their own boot is a level above IMO.

Buckley took Voss apart one on one as Voss says him
self. In the third qtr of the 2002 GF Buckley destroyed Voss. Voss was moved off Bucks and then caused damage. Voss has said time and time again Buckley destroyed him one on one.

Anyone know who Buckley has said he rates as the greatest player he played against, or was their no one of unequalled prowess as Buckley as some pies supporters have us believe?

Very hard.

At their absolute best, I think the freakishness of Ablett Jr and Hird stand them above the others, except perhaps Judd who was also quite freakish in a straight forward sort of way. And Judd was possibly the most effective and dominant as a pure midfielder, which is important as he wasn't as dangerous resting forward, or as versatile in general.

1. Hird
2. Judd
3. Ablett
4. Voss
5. Buckley

Edit: And to the Collingwood supporter who said Bucks was "good enough to beat Carey when playing at CHB" what games were you watching? The only blokes who could say they went toe to toe with the Duck and had the better of him were Silvagni and Jacko

Every time Buckley played on Voss he destoyed him? Maybe watch the last quater of the 2002 Grand Final. Voss destroyed your entire side including Buckley. What a shame they took votes at the 15min mark of the last quater.

As for beating Carey - was that when he was washed up at the Crows? Carey is at another level to the players in this poll.

Buckley did beat him once. The quotes are there in Buckley's book from Pagan and Carey himself. Carey kicked 2 goals in the few few minutes, Buckley was moved onto him and destroyed him.

He only played on him the once though, it was obviously not something that Buckley was able to do consistently.

Love Juddy still need to wait to judge though, Ablett jnr probably by the end of his career, he has a better all round game than the others. Pretty much elite in every skill. Voss for my pick of the retirees.:thumbsu:

Having a debate with a friend and we are both curious to see who was the best player at their peak out of Hird, Voss, Buckley, Judd and Ablett Jnr.

A bit unfair to be comparing the first three with Ablett and to a lesser extent, Judd, when they're still playing. At 25 Ablett is in his prime.

Love Juddy still need to wait to judge though, Ablett jnr probably by the end of his career, he has a better all round game than the others. Pretty much elite in every skill. Voss for my pick of the retirees.:thumbsu:
I disagree on Judd. I think his best football was definitely at the Eagles, and I can't see him reaching those heights at Carlton, or at least bettering them. I reckon we can judge Judd's best football now.

Chris Judd is one of the most visually impressive players I've ever seen when he's at his best.

Speaking from a West Coast point of view, I'm struggling to think of many more players that have commited such unspeakable horrors to the Eagles than James Hird.

Remove this Banner Ad

At their best, who was the best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back