AUKUS

Remove this Banner Ad

1/How many missiles do we now fire per year.
2/Will the factory need overhauling once the F35s are obsolete and those missiles become obsolete.
3/Where do we get rockets now?
4/Will a future government sell these rockets to a foreign force to be used against civilians.
5/will this just be an American factory for the US regime?
So many questions and nobody to answer or take responsibility for future actions that may come from these rockets.
Still it's work for Newcastle kids I spose.
Same amount of anything we fired - zero.

In the age of drones, manned platforms are becoming obsolete and the future (of defence) is all about unmanned missiles and drones.

I agree we should have laws in place to not supply arms to genocidal regimes like Israel.

Still, I'd rather pay people and suppliers in Newcastle for missiles than the US or anywhere else.

you’ve been sooking about this deal since in was announced because you reckon we don’t need it , and i just gave you a clue about the 3000 jobs because of the Aukus deal and that’s one facility , so i did address that point it was in the post you obviously didn’t read.
Why can't they work on Australian designs for Australian requirements? All those minds, all those skills - they could be a part of a real homegrown industry where we build our own stuff from scratch.

We'd have the brains to do it. We'd have the skilled workforce. Why not?

Former foreign Affairs Minister Gareth Evans damning assessment of the AUKUS deal and the lack of proper process that tied Australia's immediate and long term strategic and security interests to it - not to mention billions of taxpayers' dollars.

Gareth is just still playing politics... who cares what he thinks.

Gareth is just still playing politics... who cares what he thinks.

You care, hence your comment. You’re just upset that it doesn’t align with your simplistic reasoning and narrative.

You don’t seem to understand what politics is and that the AUKUS deal, announced by Scott Morrison via a press conference in the middle of the night prior to an election without proper discussion or debate of the costs, consequences and implications was all about politics. ‘wedge politics’ to use the precise term.

As was the decision, again without proper discussion and debate, of Anthony Albanese to give unquestioned support to the deal during an election campaign.

Listening to different perspectives on a decision that will have major long term strategic, security , economic and financial implications for current and future generations is what makes good politics and sound policy.

Knock me over with a feather that you don”t like it.

You care, hence your comment. You’re just upset that it doesn’t align with your simplistic reasoning and narrative.

You don’t seem to understand what politics is and that the AUKUS deal, announced by Scott Morrison via a press conference in the middle of the night prior to an election without proper discussion or debate of the costs, consequences and implications was all about politics. ‘wedge politics’ to use the precise term.

As was the decision, again without proper discussion and debate, of Anthony Albanese to give unquestioned support to the deal during an election campaign.

Listening to different perspectives on a decision that will have major long term strategic, security , economic and financial implications for current and future generations is what makes good politics and sound policy.

Given Morrison committed Australia to a $400-500B sub program as part of a pre-election brain fart, it kinda makes sense that the ADF ends up with so many disaster programs.

Given Morrison committed Australia to a $400-500B sub program as part of a pre-election brain fart, it kinda makes sense that the ADF ends up with so many disaster programs.
Including the unmitigated financial and strategic disaster of the ditched French submarine project which Morrison himself signed up to only to walk away from it, with a $3.4 billion cost for Australian taxpayers leaving a huge gap in our nations defensive capabity.

Yeah - but let's keep politics out of this. :rolleyes:

Lol....i bet you listen to plenty of perspectives of people who are all for AUKUS.

Knock me over with a feather that you like Evan's perspective....

Labor man through and through.
And? He has been retired from federal politics for 25 years and I doubt he is planning on another stint.

Also, did you read the article or are you just bleating another Labor sook? The article is critical of the current labor government more than the Liberals.

These bits pretty much sum things up;

It is only in the United Kingdom that we can reasonably regard domestic politics to be irrelevant to AUKUS’s future. The deal is so obviously a gift to the national Treasury, and has so little impact on national defence and security interests, that no one on any side of politics is ever likely to find it unpalatable.

All that said, it has to be acknowledged that the odds of any fundamental change of course are now very long indeed. The only external event that could completely derail the AUKUS program and force such change would be the US making it clear that it was not going to give up any of its Virginias, because of the pressures on its own replacement program. But it’s hard to imagine even a Trump administration doing that, given the extraordinary favourability of the deal the US has wrung out of Australia – not only financially, but because for all practical purposes the Americans will be able to treat these boats as an extension of their own fleet.

The Lucky Country :drunk:

Labor man through and through.

So is Albanese and his Cabinet. And they back the AUKUS deal.

What exact is your point other than bleating an empty political trope. Which is unwittingly ironic given your first comment.

You seem to struggle understanding facts and issues of context and relevance.

Why can't they work on Australian designs for Australian requirements? All those minds, all those skills - they could be a part of a real homegrown industry where we build our own stuff from scratch.

We'd have the brains to do it. We'd have the skilled workforce. Why not?
There is a research industry in Australia which does this stuff, but not a lot of it makes it into world-wide mass production which works, and fits, on a lot of NATO equipment.

Australia researches some of it. But the investment required to develop every component and a whole program would be many multiples more than $850m.

And the first step to developing your own is having people who can build somebody else's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mining magnate and pastoralist Gina Rinehart has urged the government to “drill, baby, drill and dig, baby, dig” and use the proceeds to massively upgrade defence, including with an Israeli-style “iron dome” missile deflection system.

-

“You may ask, how are we going to pay for this? Simple: we should cut government wastage – and there’s a lot of that – and we should drill, baby, drill and dig, baby, dig,” she said.

She called for the abolition of fuel excise, payroll tax, licence fees and stamp duty.

“Wouldn’t that help the cost of living?” she said.

I seriously give up - Australia is run by complete morons

Mining magnate and pastoralist Gina Rinehart has urged the government to “drill, baby, drill and dig, baby, dig” and use the proceeds to massively upgrade defence, including with an Israeli-style “iron dome” missile deflection system.

-

“You may ask, how are we going to pay for this? Simple: we should cut government wastage – and there’s a lot of that – and we should drill, baby, drill and dig, baby, dig,” she said.

She called for the abolition of fuel excise, payroll tax, licence fees and stamp duty.

Gina really wants to be Australia's Elon

-

If Trumpism is rejected in America this sort of crap will become an even harder sell here.

-

She’s the opposite of patriotic….but masquerading as such

All this talk of project 2025? It’s basically the IPA

You wonder if she says this privately to her Chinese customers

Remove this Banner Ad

AUKUS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back