Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

It's possible if you adopt the Chinese approach of targeting less competitive sports that tend to offer a variety of medal options eg you can only win two medals in volleyball, but in shooting, badminton and table tennis there are plenty on offer.

Feels like if the rowing can get their s*** together we're a shot at 20+ in LA and more in Brisbane.

Your last line is where I'd be targetting, and also the velodrome. These two have to be the priority, we will dominate the pool regardless (but we need more from the men).

Pretty common in most of the field events, pretty sure most of the men did the same when the WR was broken. This 20 competititors in a final seems overkill, go back to 12 next Games.
The reason they gave yesterday was 12 is minimum number of competitors allowed for the Pole Vault finals and only 11 reached 4.55m, with another 9 reaching 4.50m, and because it would have caused all kinds of legal issues if they just selected one of the nine, they had an extended field for the final.

It's just so so dumb inflicting a non-people liking person like TJ on our champs.
On the other hand
How good was Jason Richo Richardson at the interviews! Sorely missed.

Delighted to say I haven't watched one Eddie interview either. Dinosaur TV is Ch 9.

Hopefully 7 get it back for LA.

Last edited:
Can someone fill me in on this Chompers thing? Apologies.
Tony Jones spent a fair bit of money on a new set of dentures/teeth and the Sunday Footy show boys got stuck into him for ages and started calling him Chompers

There was only 20 in the final because there was a huge tie for 12th in the qualifiers.

Oh okay, still seems silly. Go back to the count back method if need be hopefully only 12 next time round.

Look forward to watching boulder and lead semi with Oceania Mackenzie later roday. She is currently in 4th and without knowing a thing except observation of 1st event bouldering, I reckon she might be a medal chance.
The champ, Janja Garnbret is awesone and so good to watch. Admittedly this is different with the lead today, but 'Osh' has nouse and real ability.
I have taken to watching this sport in a big way. 😃

Tony Jones spent a fair bit of money on a new set of dentures/teeth and the Sunday Footy show boys got stuck into him for ages and started calling him Chompers
More specifically it was Spud Frawley that coined the nickname and pretty much kept it alive for over a decade (Of course the hilarious part is Spud also got outed on Triple M in 2013 for having dental work done)

He'd be pissing himself laughing right now

Just caught up with the men's park skateboarding final. When Keegan realised he would be winning the Gold, loved seeing the American Tate Carew (who placed 5th) come up and say, "I love you Keegan dude!" and give him a big hug. Then the American who got Silver (Tom Schaar) joined in. Love the sportsmanship, the celebration of each other. In other sports you can just feel the jealousy and snobbery, but in others like this the mateship and support is refreshing.

Keegan was born in the US, but raised in Australia, and currently lives in the US:

Born in the United States of America, he moved with his family to Gold Coast, QLD, Australia at the age of one. In 2017 he decided to move to the U.S. for access to more training facilities because the parks are better.

"The reason that I wanted to represent Australia in the Olympics was I'd pretty much learned how to do everything in Australia. I learned how to skate, how to surf, I went to school in Australia - literally everything that I've grown up to do has been in Australia - especially skateboarding. It was meant to be and right to do it there, nowhere else."

Yeah 25 is very optimistic. Maybe we can introduce AFL and League mens and womens 😆

Only chance of 25 is if we suddenly get super dominant in cycling and/or become a weightlifting powerhouse!

It all depends on whether we get the sports in that we are trying to. Rugby league (nines), netball and surf lifesaving (oceanman/woman and mixed relay). Could be 6 golds in theory. Watch us get them in and get smoked by NZ in everything!

I'd target sailing and shooting. We have done reasonably well historically, and I think we could do much better (e.g. 3-4 gold medals instead of 1) with a bigger focus.

Have just caught up on everything now. What an unbelievable day it was yesterday in Paris for the Aussies.

4 gold and 2 bronze, incredible. Stories everywhere.

Montag a dual Olympic medalist. 6th Australian woman to win 2 athletics medals in the one Olympics.

Matt Denny going one better than his result in Tokyo.

Keegan Palmer and Matt Wearn going back to back.

The men's pursuit team winning for the first time in 20 years.

And of course Queen Nina getting it done with the pole.

Unbelievable. And we're not done yet. 6 medals up for grabs tonight on top of a seemingly huge number of semi finals.

I couldn't stay up last night, but yeah I'm not getting any sleep tonight. Let's ****ing go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's possible if you adopt the Chinese approach of targeting less competitive sports that tend to offer a variety of medal options eg you can only win two medals in volleyball, but in shooting, badminton and table tennis there are plenty on offer.

Feels like if the rowing can get their s*** together we're a shot at 20+ in LA and more in Brisbane.
Rowing Australia just need to get their shit together like cycling Australia did post the disaster which was Tokyo.

It's just so so dumb inflicting a non-people liking person like TJ on our champs.
On the other hand
How good was Jason Richo Richardson at the interviews! Sorely missed.

Delighted to say I haven't watched one Eddie interview either. Dinosaur TV is Ch 9.

not even a non-people liking person, just a journo with no idea about who he is interviewing.. they should have thrown the kitchen sink at Richo who at least was a runner and knows the people and what is involved.

On that last point, I swear I heard somewhere that 9 paid an absolute truck load to get the next 5 Olympics (not sure if that means including Winter games or what, or even if i am just making shit up in my head)

also he absolutely hates it when players call him Chompers and the Sunday footy show boys give him shit about it

Rowing Australia just need to get their shit together like cycling Australia did post the disaster which was Tokyo.
It is interesting, on that Road To Paris doco that was on 9 a few nights before the games started they focused on the rowing selection trials a bit, and the Rowing Aus CEO mentioned at the last world champs they had medalled in 11 of the 13 events and expected to be better again at the Olympics.

So it seems we have absolutely underachieved compared to our own internal expectations as well, which also means at least they will do a big review on it and make sure they can improve every aspect to get better outcomes

not even a non-people liking person, just a journo with no idea about who he is interviewing.. they should have thrown the kitchen sink at Richo who at least was a runner and knows the people and what is involved.

On that last point, I swear I heard somewhere that 9 paid an absolute truck load to get the next 5 Olympics (not sure if that means including Winter games or what, or even if i am just making shit up in my head)
I can't watch Tony or Eddy interview. It's just cringe.
Just watching a very gentle interview style on STAN with the champ Kenyan marathon runner. So sweet and humble, but really switched on. Chris Stubbs interviewing is warm and able to pivot in the moment to stay with the interviewee. Really nice.

Also a really moving 5 min earlier with the legend Tommy Smith.

I can't watch Tony or Eddy interview. It's just cringe.
Just watching a very gentle interview style on STAN with the champ Kenyan marathon runner. So sweet and humble, but really switched on. Chris Stubbs interviewing is warm and able to pivot in the moment to stay with the interviewee. Really nice.

Also a really moving 5 min earlier with the legend Tommy Smith.
at least they have buried Eddie in the wee hours of the morning where granted most of the medals are, but also where less of the general public are seeing him.

I was a tightarse and just couldn't cop paying for Stan so have been stuck with 9, I am not sure what he said but i was listening to the Inside Running Podcast and Brady the main host said the interview TJ did with Rose Davies post the 5k final was absolutely awful

Ch 9 won a bidding war (2024-32) thus have the main FTA rights for the main Olympics, Winter Olympics and Paralympics specifically so they could have the rights for Brisbane.

Doing some reading it's paying off for this Olympic period...... but beyond that they're running at a loss.

Ch 9 won a bidding war (2024-32) thus have the main FTA rights for the main Olympics, Winter Olympics and Paralympics specifically so they could have the rights for Brisbane.

Doing some reading it's paying off for this Olympic period...... but beyond that they're running at a loss.
STAN just need to tweak a few things.
Engage some better quality commentary in a few events.
Especially cycling with a local flavour would be excellent, and the canoe/kayak events.
Also get someone good to provide some actual commentary through field events.😂 The silence is nice, but sometimes you want some info on the participants.

If you use the integrated athletics channel you get commentary, but you are at the mercy of what is shown,
like it is on ch. 9/Gem.

What 9 could do to improve, is add channels themselves and show in 4k. They have 4 years so no excuses.
They are nuts if they don't get Richo in.

Last edited:
at least they have buried Eddie in the wee hours of the morning where granted most of the medals are, but also where less of the general public are seeing him.

I was a tightarse and just couldn't cop paying for Stan so have been stuck with 9, I am not sure what he said but i was listening to the Inside Running Podcast and Brady the main host said the interview TJ did with Rose Davies post the 5k final was absolutely awful
Look it is a LOT but it's only for 1 month. And in the end it's $35. Really worth it I reckon. For the clarity of picture stream.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back