Aussies in English County Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
In the County Championship in either division this season.

Notss have Adam Voges and David Hussey for half the year each.

Derbyshire have Usman Khawaja for the first half of the year.

Leics - Andrew McDonald.

Midx - Chris Rogers

Glamorgan - Mark Cosgrove

Worcs - Damien Wright (not sure for how long)

Apart from Usman Khawaja, there are no players of real potential playing over there.

I don't know about any Aussies going over to play club cricket. It would benefit players like Ferguson and Shaun Marsh enormously to play County cricket but they haven't so far.

It's remarkable really, the County Championship used to be crawling with Aussies. Now there isn't too many and most of the ones that are there are not future prospects.

Cossie is an anomaly, he'd be good enough to play for Aus, but his weight will cancel his chances in perpetuity.

Wasn't he killing it with the bat at the start of this summer, before he got injured?
From memory he made 160 or something, off 120 odd balls, in a Shield match, then backed it up with back to back tons in the next game?
Then he got injured and missed a month or so. When he came back he got 3 for 2, or something, with the ball, before getting injured again.
He was in career best form (much, much better than the sort of form he was in before he was picked for Australia a couple of years ago (especially with the bat). If he hadn't been injured, he'd have to have been a huge chance to have played in the Ashes and batted at 6.
That was a costly injury for both him and potentially Australia. Would also have been very handy in the World Cup, on those slow, low wickets.

Wasn't he killing it with the bat at the start of this summer, before he got injured?
From memory he made 160 or something, off 120 odd balls, in a Shield match, then backed it up with back to back tons in the next game?
Then he got injured and missed a month or so. When he came back he got 3 for 2, or something, with the ball, before getting injured again.
He was in career best form (much, much better than the sort of form he was in before he was picked for Australia a couple of years ago (especially with the bat). If he hadn't been injured, he'd have to have been a huge chance to have played in the Ashes and batted at 6.
That was a costly injury for both him and potentially Australia. Would also have been very handy in the World Cup, on those slow, low wickets.

Yea he was, I was hoping to see how he would go but the injuries killed his good form.

Yea he was, I was hoping to see how he would go but the injuries killed his good form.

He did very well for Leics last time he was over. Was scoring runs, (had a record mid order partnership with somebody) and was taking wickets. They really liked him that's why he's back.

I didn't count him as one of the potentials as the Aussie selectors were so quick to drop him. I still don't really understand that.

I think the Poms are trying to stick clear of dveloping our young blokes for us these days. Ever since 2005 there has been a lack of younger aussies in Country cricket.

I think it's more that they can't see the quality players to chase. That''s hardly surprising.

Yorkshire have tried to get Hilfy a few times, but he would never go.

Sean Tait is playing t20 for Surrey, and others have t20 contracts as well (the usual suspects).

I didn't include just the t20 merchants. I'm more interested in the players that would really gain from playing long format cricket in a different environment.

Only there are hardly any of them.

I think the Poms are trying to stick clear of dveloping our young blokes for us these days. Ever since 2005 there has been a lack of younger aussies in Country cricket.

Well since 2008 there has been a limit of one overseas per team per game except in Twenty20, so teams want players who will be there all year for certain or South African/West Indian players who can play on a Kolpak and not count towards their quota. There will be a few more Aussies around in the Twenty20 but for The Championship it doesn't surprise me the number of Australians is lacking somewhat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrew McDonald and Usman Khawaja both scored centuries in the latest county game.

It's a shame that Usman can't stick around now that he's finally found some form, albeit against a second division team with an attack hit by injuries. It could have been a real start for him.

He's been getting starts almost every match but not going on with it and the whole learning process is such a good one for his test cricket prospects.

I still don't understand why Andrew McDonald was dumped so prematurely by CA. He's got such good first class figures as an all-rounder. And god knows our attack needs a bowler who knows where the effing stumps are.

Now that we've hit the T20s...

Division One:

Di Venuto - 539 runs at 44.91
Voges - 350 runs at 29.16

Wright - 31 wickets at 26.67
Thorp - 23 wickets at 33.91

Division Two:

Rogers - 479 runs at 47.90
Khawaja - 319 runs at 39.87
McDonald - 274 runs at 54.80

A special mention must go to Lonwabo Tsotsobe who took 5 wickets at 77.60 for Essex before throwing a strop and going home. His economy rate was 4.61.

Overall the best batsmen have been Benkenstein and Trescothick, the latter topping the averages with 978 runs at 81.50 and a strike rate of 71.23. Young batters who've done well include Jonny Bairstow, Ben Stokes and Liam Dawson.

The best bowlers have been Damien Wright and Steve Kirby with 31 wickets apiece and Gary Keedy who's spun his way to 34 at 22.35.

I just noticed there have been a few points deductions for poor pitches this season. From reading a couple of articles they just sound like overly bouncy pitches.

Anyone know what the deal is?

The Warwickshire pitch was for this season when both teams were bowled out very cheaply in the 2nd innings, a 21 yo SLA took 5/7 which shows the state of the pitch, Hampshire's T20 deduction is from last season for a substandard pitch where Hampshire were bowled out for 95 chasing 104. Those are the 2 I know about

The Warwickshire pitch was for this season when both teams were bowled out very cheaply in the 2nd innings, a 21 yo SLA took 5/7 which shows the state of the pitch, Hampshire's T20 deduction is from last season for a substandard pitch where Hampshire were bowled out for 95 chasing 104. Those are the 2 I know about

Thanks, that makes more sense.

Now that we've hit the T20s...

Division One:

Di Venuto - 539 runs at 44.91
Voges - 350 runs at 29.16

Wright - 31 wickets at 26.67
Thorp - 23 wickets at 33.91

Division Two:

Rogers - 479 runs at 47.90
Khawaja - 319 runs at 39.87
McDonald - 274 runs at 54.80

A special mention must go to Lonwabo Tsotsobe who took 5 wickets at 77.60 for Essex before throwing a strop and going home. His economy rate was 4.61.

Overall the best batsmen have been Benkenstein and Trescothick, the latter topping the averages with 978 runs at 81.50 and a strike rate of 71.23. Young batters who've done well include Jonny Bairstow, Ben Stokes and Liam Dawson.

The best bowlers have been Damien Wright and Steve Kirby with 31 wickets apiece and Gary Keedy who's spun his way to 34 at 22.35.

Very happy Voges lost his contract does not even score heavily in county cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies in English County Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back