NFL Aussies in the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Australian Media Jumping on the Bandwagon!

That always pisses me off too.

They forget about it for the whole year, don't even show scores of each round on the news and then comes Superbowl and they do a back flip and get all excited.

Nothing pisses me off than listening to that tool who is always on SBS every year talking like he knows a thing or two.. he has no idea. I only watch SBS to see the Superbowl ad's and his ugly mug shows up talking like he actually follows the NFL.

But agree totally.

Do you mean that blond surfer dude hes funny lol

Haha agree.

The blonde surfer dude (Damien Lovelock, lead singer from the Celibate Rifles) is actually quite a long-time American Football fan (Jets fan) and has a very good understanding of the game.

I watch the SBS telecast rather than PayTV because they get the global feed, which has D*ick Stockton and Darryl Johnstone commentating, who I think are right up there with the very best commentators.

Can't stand that blonde ditz tho, Mika whatever, who does nothing all year, and Colin Scotts who just trails off into stupid observations or doesn't answer the questions that get thrown his way. The American dude who hosts the show, (forget his name) is not too bad, but as a host he doesn't really add anything, just directs the show around.

Also, apart from SBS, just you see, it's going to be the same on 7,9,10 news. They'll mention it in the opening promo. Will be like the 3rd story queued up. They'll just go on about how big it is, showing some footage of the people in Miami, the crowds and color, then they'll mention the famous superbowl ads and the half-time show. They'll say, "more in the sports segment".

So 20 minutes later, during the sports segment, they'll again mention how big it is, the half-time show, the ads, and then close the segment with, "and in the game the [insert team name] walked away with the game" and they'll show ONE highlight from the game (a long pass, a run, or something) and then that'll be the end of the NFL Supabah report.

Re: Australian Media Jumping on the Supabah Bandwagon!

The blonde surfer dude (Damien Lovelock, lead singer from the Celibate Rifles) is actually quite a long-time American Football fan (Jets fan) and has a very good understanding of the game.

I watch the SBS telecast rather than PayTV because they get the global feed, which has D*ick Stockton and Darryl Johnstone commentating, who I think are right up there with the very best commentators.

Can't stand that blonde ditz tho, Mika whatever, who does nothing all year, and Colin Scotts who just trails off into stupid observations or doesn't answer the questions that get thrown his way. The American dude who hosts the show, (forget his name) is not too bad, but as a host he doesn't really add anything, just directs the show around.

Also, apart from SBS, just you see, it's going to be the same on 7,9,10 news. They'll mention it in the opening promo. Will be like the 3rd story queued up. They'll just go on about how big it is, showing some footage of the people in Miami, the crowds and color, then they'll mention the famous superbowl ads and the half-time show. They'll say, "more in the sports segment".

So 20 minutes later, during the sports segment, they'll again mention how big it is, the half-time show, the ads, and then close the segment with, "and in the game the [insert team name] walked away with the game" and they'll show ONE highlight from the game (a long pass, a run, or something) and then that'll be the end of the NFL Supabah report.

Well said g.g.

What is embarrassing for the NFL is that the 'VL trophy' game is much overlooked for the HT show & commercials... that's why I MUCH prefer the Conf Championship weekend... oh well, just as always the Supabah tradition goes downunder, get pIssed and sit around with mates laughing at all the pussy's comments. you'de think so Timmy, you'd think so

Re: Australian Media Jumping on the Supabah Bandwagon!

Well said g.g.

What is embarrassing for the NFL is that the 'VL trophy' game is much overlooked for the HT show & commercials... that's why I MUCH prefer the Conf Championship weekend... oh well, just as always the Supabah tradition goes downunder, get pIssed and sit around with mates laughing at all the pussy's comments. you'de think so Timmy, you'd think so

The game itself is only overlooked by those who don't follow football (in the US) or overseas audiences like Australia.

With such a mad following of American Football itself, the actual game, the greater percentage of people take all that extraneous stuff for what it is, just pomp and ceremony.

Every year there's more and more pre-supabah events being held as well to add to the event....like Madden Bowl, Lingerie Bowl (keep an eye out for a torrent of that).

At least the Sunday Mail today tried to explain the rules abit. And I noticed two years ago that SBS in the PM replay cut bits out of the game, im not sure if they did it last year.

yup. 3 & out first half drives mostly.

Not sure what your on about news people jumping on the bandwagon. 10 have for years given NFL during the playoffs going back to the early 90's. I remember 10 given scores of a regular season game between the 49ers and giants back in 1990 on the 6.00pm news. The Herald Sun always has a article or 2 on the Super Bowl ever since I can remember.

This Happens Every Year!

One thing that I thought was very disappointing, on 7 news last night they showed a story about S'Bowl ads etc with no mention of who won the game! Then in sports it was nearly the last item, they showed highlights of a regular season Man Utd game with other Premier League results before they talked about the Superbowl! WTF???
Isn't the Superbowl a little more important than regular season Premier League results??

One thing that I thought was very disappointing, on 7 news last night they showed a story about S'Bowl ads etc with no mention of who won the game! Then in sports it was nearly the last item, they showed highlights of a regular season Man Utd game with other Premier League results before they talked about the Superbowl! WTF???
Isn't the Superbowl a little more important than regular season Premier League results??

I predicted this in post #5. Happens every year on the bigger 7/9/10 networks. One prediction I did get right!

I agree with what your saying but according to these ppl, Man U >>>>>>daylight >>>>> Super Bowl ....whatever american sporting event.

Funnily enough Sports Tonight could only conjure 3 bits of highlight footage including the opening game kick off and HT entertainment!!!...no mention or list score... :rolleyes: same old same old. f'ken dropkicks.

In the years gone by of the mid 90's they would show more footage of regular season games but now Ch10 has really cranked up the show as an 'sport for dumbies' edition. pffft! I know.

Really?

Dont you find the telecast a bit 'simple' and like it is made in someones garage. Like the stuff they talked about in prior years was just rubbish... and they dress like tools in t-shirts from the 80's to somehow show they are die-hard fans...?

I didnt watch this years but watched prior

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what your on about news people jumping on the bandwagon. 10 have for years given NFL during the playoffs going back to the early 90's. I remember 10 given scores of a regular season game between the 49ers and giants back in 1990 on the 6.00pm news. The Herald Sun always has a article or 2 on the Super Bowl ever since I can remember.

I personally wasn't happy with the idiocy headline of Pittsburgh Steel Super Bowl... implying the game was DECIDED on poor officiating....:mad: surely I'm convinced there was a bitter seahawk journo behind this half baked article that didn't care to watch the full game and wasn't game enough to inform the ignorant australian public that the Steelers made the clutch plays whereas the Seahawks didn't and that's what so pathetic about much of the media here...

I personally wasn't happy with the idiocy headline of Pittsburgh Steel Super Bowl... implying the game was DECIDED on poor officiating....:mad: surely I'm convinced there was a bitter seahawk journo behind this half baked article that didn't care to watch the full game and wasn't game enough to inform the ignorant australian public that the Steelers made the clutch plays whereas the Seahawks didn't and that's what so pathetic about much of the media here...

Its the way of the world... for example

Say CBS run with the headline that the officiating had a factor.

They then have 1000's upon 1000's of other entities who adopt/have rights to the exact same article and just plug it in there paper, show, etc.

Really?

Dont you find the telecast a bit 'simple' and like it is made in someones garage. Like the stuff they talked about in prior years was just rubbish... and they dress like tools in t-shirts from the 80's to somehow show they are die-hard fans...?

I didnt watch this years but watched prior

Let me rephrase then...

I only like(d) the SBS coverage because they USED TO have the global feed of Stockton-Johnstone. The SBS set and the dribble they all go on with can be dispensed with for sure. It's far too unprofessional, and the line-up they have isn't great. A washed up rocker who is a fan :rolleyes: , an Al Bundy ex-footy player:rolleyes: and Ed Wyatt who is ok but not top-shelf material.

But what can you expect from govt TV and/or just Australian TV? You won't see a proper Channel 9 dedicated coverage, professionally done, and with far better analysts. Who do we honestly have in Australia to fit that role?? They'd end up still being like the Aussie SC version that is a glorified SportsTonight anyway. Shabby and embarrassing.

All I CAN say tho is at least Lovelock knows enough about the game etc to actually give passable analysis. But he's shabby and they should actually dress the part in suits etc and be more professional than lounging back like they do in sneakers and t-shirts and guffawing over in-jokes etc.

All I CAN say tho is at least Lovelock knows enough about the game etc to actually give passable analysis. But he's shabby and they should actually dress the part in suits etc and be more professional than lounging back like they do in sneakers and t-shirts and guffawing over in-jokes etc.

cool.

I was worried there for a second.

I know similar people who try to talk to me about the NFL... they dont know whats happened for 10 years but when they hear the Colts made the superbowl they say 'thats great for Baltimore'... haha

I just get the impression he is the same... he pulls a couple of things out about the leading rusher for the season or whatever but I duno. I guess I'd sound the same doing it too... thats prob what gives me the gripes, that he prob knows no more than me, he obvioulsy comes across no better on TV than any of us would yet he is on there and is glorified as this 'analyst', 'expert', 'guru'... oh well, I dont watch it. good to hear he is getting a beating.

Maybe when Darren Bennett, Ben Graham, etc all retire and come back to Australia (not that they would want to), SBS can replace those jokers with these type of ex-players as analysts. Colin Scotts is a has-been Al Bundy who is an embarrassment to TV and should be overlooked for any future dedicated NFL highlight programs or SB Aussie analysis team.

Hopefully they can get some professionalism happening in the studio, having them all dressed in suits and are good enough in their own right to carry a pre-show analysis.

Then again, maybe it would also be better to leave it all up to the experts (US) and just get a full feed including pre-game analysis. And dispense with the need for an Aussie studio that grabs to the ad breaks etc.

Then again, maybe it would also be better to leave it all up to the experts (US) and just get a full feed including pre-game analysis. And dispense with the need for an Aussie studio that grabs to the ad breaks etc.

bingo.

I dont care cuz I have pay-tv.... and eventually I think the internet will give us access to a whole bunch of other stuff including US television.

I actually did see somewhere (out of left field here) that Bill Gates reckons televisions have a limited life and could be taken over by this kinda stuff in 5 years max. I hope so.

but yeah... for there own benefit I'd just take the live feed and stop trying to look like you can do something you obviously arent resourced to do.

bingo.

I dont care cuz I have pay-tv.... and eventually I think the internet will give us access to a whole bunch of other stuff including US television.

I actually did see somewhere (out of left field here) that Bill Gates reckons televisions have a limited life and could be taken over by this kinda stuff in 5 years max. I hope so.

but yeah... for there own benefit I'd just take the live feed and stop trying to look like you can do something you obviously arent resourced to do.

I believe Bill Gates. Simply, broadband speeds are going to eventually be updated globally to monstrous gigabyte up/down speeds. FIOS in the US for instance, something like 30,000 down and 15,000 up.

Already happening now with Xbox 360 and Media Center IP TV, in full HD. Download/view TV shows/movies.

Internet TV is the way eventually. Godspeed technology.

Its the way of the world... for example

Say CBS run with the headline that the officiating had a factor.

They then have 1000's upon 1000's of other entities who adopt/have rights to the exact same article and just plug it in there paper, show, etc.

That's where LAZY journalism becomes born & inbred as a real bad thing. We have plenty here down under. :eek: Not many editors care to correct this and it's more to do with filling the space with crapshoot stories just to grab a flimsy headline... don'tcha just hate when they write '76 metres' instead of 76 yards... I mean, they don't bother converting it...and the 'punter' role is continually described as a 'simplistic' as ever... sporting country??? pigs arse:eek:

That's where LAZY journalism becomes born & inbred as a real bad thing. We have plenty here down under. :eek: Not many editors care to correct this and it's more to do with filling the space with crapshoot stories just to grab a flimsy headline... don'tcha just hate when they write '76 metres' instead of 76 yards... I mean, they don't bother converting it...and the 'punter' role is continually described as a 'simplistic' as ever... sporting country??? pigs arse:eek:

we always proclaim to be a sporting country but the americans s*** all over us with the sport they have and coverage they give it.

we always proclaim to be a sporting country but the americans s*** all over us with the sport they have and coverage they give it.

To be fair, Australia is a huge sporting culture nation. From the grassroots of the kids all the way up to the professional ranks. We have such a wide variety of sports too for all to participate in.

But where Australia falls far behind, is adminstration, technology, journalism, professionalism, and vision.

For instance, we still play Rugby without helmets etc. I mean, the Americans learnt a long time ago to protect the head. Their system from College promotes education/intelligence required to even attempt to enter the pros. While in Rugby league, for instance, it's always been a blue-collor workers sport. There's no system, just blokes. Charming, but at the same time very backward. The Americans always pioneers in adminstration, rules, systems, etc. While in Australia we have always tended to be around 20+ years behind the times in regards to adminstration and rules etc. At times, most of the time, it seems most of our sports lack direction, identity. We're always looking to ape the Americans while at the same time bemoaning them and belittling them.

I could babble on and on about this, so I'll stop now before I get really p*issed off thinking about it all.

To be fair, Australia is a huge sporting culture nation. From the grassroots of the kids all the way up to the professional ranks. We have such a wide variety of sports too for all to participate in.

But where Australia falls far behind, is adminstration, technology, journalism, professionalism, and vision.

....The Americans always pioneers in administration, rules, systems, etc. While in Australia we have always tended to be around 20+ years behind the times in regards to adminstration and rules etc. At times, most of the time, it seems most of our sports lack direction, identity. We're always looking to ape the Americans while at the same time bemoaning them and belittling them.

I could babble on and on about this, so I'll stop now before I get really p*issed off thinking about it all.

I could agree wholeheartedly g.g but with some technology (xbox..ect) churning the next generation away from the sporting field that first remark is rapidily going to fall thru the floor in the next 10-20 years. The media scope has tangled itself, too many 'safe options' and less educational values
which I think our American counterparts are streets ahead of us have led the way why we're seemingly backwards. AFL is only starting to become professional IMHO. The threat of Soccer is scaring the pants off AFL as the almighty $ rules the way. (how much $$ would Timmy want to make for less work output in the future??) Something about structure (long hours at work = no social contacts) and marketing (too many rats) isn't working well enough here and I think it comes down to NOT having adequate resources and more importantly 'essential skills' to cover those forementioned factions you mentioned g.g. that puts our country behind.

:( one thing I've noticed more than ever, too much politics is disrupting much of our lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL Aussies in the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back