Australia, a growing geopolitical lap dog and not just in the Indo Pacific.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not certain if that's a deal breaker between Aus and Indonesia as far as being in alliance is concerned. Haven't heard anything in regards to deteriorating alliance between Indonesia and Aus because Israel.

More than certain if it were to be a deal breaker we'd certainly hear and know about it.

And I doubt Indonesia would be as petulant as to deliberately sour our alliance coz Israel.
Have a look at item 21 from the joint release from Australia and Malaysia.

Scomo Sh*t the bed when he went all evangelical and upset the Indonesians.

Calls for a 2-state solution, which Israel has now officially rejected. A 2-state solution is the policy of every nation on earth except Israel. (including the US).

This stuff matters way more to Indonesia and Malaysia than it does to Australia. Which is why we shouldn't be sticking up for the violent Israeli Govt's current policies.

Have a look at item 21 from the joint release from Australia and Malaysia.

After skimming over it, looks rather positive, not sure what you're trying to prove here.

The Leaders reiterated their shared concern about the dire humanitarian situation in Gaza following the 7 October attacks. They called for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire. All parties must respect civilian lives and international humanitarian law. They repeated calls for safe, unimpeded and sustained humanitarian access in Gaza, safe passage for civilians, and the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages. The Leaders recognised that both countries have strongly advocated for de-escalation and the need for a political resolution that achieves a two-state solution where Israelis and Palestinians can live in peace and security within internationally agreed borders, based on the pre-1967 lines.

This doesn't display blatant support from Australia on how Israel is going about it.
Scomo Sh*t the bed when he went all evangelical and upset the Indonesians.

Calls for a 2-state solution, which Israel has now officially rejected. A 2-state solution is the policy of every nation on earth except Israel. (including the US).

This stuff matters way more to Indonesia and Malaysia than it does to Australia. Which is why we shouldn't be sticking up for the violent Israeli Govt's current policies.
Scomo is irrelevant now.

We're 'sticking up' for Israel (while at the same time, the rhetoric is 'not happy' with the way Israel is going about it) because we're a lap dog and have to tow the 'democratic alliance' line.

Indonesia and Malaysia are not going to break ties with Australia over it, they would've already done it by now if they were so abhorred by our support for Israel.

Their citizens may see it as you do, I don't really know, but I haven't heard of masses of public dissidence calling for their countries to break ties with Australia.

Do you see them breaking ties with uncle sam over it? No.

I understand you're obvious emotional position in regards to Palestine, but the way the 'alliance' sees it is Hammas bad, Israel democracy.

Our neighbors aren't going to break alliance with Australia over it.

Here’s a great suggestion for who Australia should ally with. ASEAN.

Our immediate and direct neighbours. 700 million people. 5th largest economy in the world. Establish our position as a regional player not one with colonial ties or US imperial lackey.
Putting aside the fact that ASEAN are already our friends and are not a military partnership of any sort, you are talking about the ASEAN nations subject to increasingly aggressive behaviour from Xis thugs and are now asking for an increasing Western, Japanese and Korean presence out of fear of what Xi will do next.

Yeah, but I also think Russia and China are chumps who should isolate themselves too!! Everyone to their own corners and not one foot outside the boundary with your military.
Your view is the equivalent of saying lets get rid of the police and courts and just hope crime doesnt happen. Yes their are bad police and corrupt judges. But to think things arent a 100 times worse if we get rid of the whole system is extremely naive.

Instead of isolationism we should work towards the opposite. A global set of rules and enforcement that everyone signs up to.

Your view is the equivalent of saying lets get rid of the police and courts and just hope crime doesnt happen. Yes their are bad police and corrupt judges. But to think things arent a 100 times worse if we get rid of the whole system is extremely naive.

Instead of isolationism we should work towards the opposite. A global set of rules and enforcement that everyone signs up to.
The United Nations Security Council was intended to do that. But it permits only five member nations a permanent seat. Each with powers of veto.

Do you like the veto system?

Yeah, but I also think Russia and China are chumps who should isolate themselves too!! Everyone to their own corners and not one foot outside the boundary with your military.
This is rather utopian thinking, China and Russia are expansionists, and not in a good way.

They ain't gonna comply to isolationism, trump is an isolationist, and that'd be bad for the democratic alliance.

This is rather utopian thinking, China and Russia are expansionists, and not in a good way.

They ain't gonna comply to isolationism, trump is an isolationist, and that'd be bad for the democratic alliance.
I'd actually like to know if China would be 'happy' with finally settling the Chinese Civil War if they take Taiwan. You might be right, under Xi they might well be expansionist and greedy for more. Russia definitely wants to stop rival powers encroaching on its buffers.

But the United States does not lead by good example. Pax Americana's rules-based order is a 'rules for thee, not for me' system. It and the nations it allows to can get away with every kind of barbarity it seems.

To lead and lead WELL a leader needs to lead by example. The United States teaches us that might is right, and that money makes morality dissolve.

That aint right either.

I'd actually like to know if China would be 'happy' with finally settling the Chinese Civil War if they take Taiwan. You might be right, under Xi they might well be expansionist and greedy for more. Russia definitely wants to stop rival powers encroaching on its buffers.

But the United States does not lead by good example. Pax Americana's rules-based order is a 'rules for thee, not for me' system. It and the nations it allows to can get away with every kind of barbarity it seems.

To lead and lead WELL a leader needs to lead by example. The United States teaches us that might is right, and that money makes morality dissolve.

That aint right either.
Never ever suggested that the US is 'right', very very far from.

Vlad is definitely an expansionist, same for Xi, fact of the matter in your post is that it is far better to be aligned to liberal democracies than not, the US (currently, unless the isolationist takes office) is far better than being aligned to oppressive dictatorships.

Not the point of the thread though is it, the point of the thread is to point out that we're are a high end medium power (militarily if you go by the sources linked, and likely economically, as being part of the g20) and as that sort of power we're likely a perceived threat of some measure by dictatorships.

How much I don't know, but I know this much, we're no longer considered some backwater no threat like 50 years ago when most of the world didn't know we existed.

Not top of the list, granted, again not the point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia, a growing geopolitical lap dog and not just in the Indo Pacific.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back