Other Teams
B'ham CityFC Adelaide United FC
Kick Off 8PM CST

Australian line up announced:

Kalac

North Vidmar(c) Tarka Lazaridis

Emerton Grella Skoko Brosque

Aloisi Zdrilic

Australia need only a point to secure its passage through to the next phase. The main interest for me is can Stan Lazaridis finally break his international duck tonight! If we get out to a good lead with plenty of time left I think he should get a run up front! That said though we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves as Vanuatu have a lot to play for and I'm sure they'll come out all guns blazing to show that the New Zealand win was no fluke. With the crunch match between Fiji v Solomon Islands preceding this one it should be an entertaining night of Football for those of us heading to Hindmarsh tonight. In the afternoon game at Marden New Zealand are fighting for their lives against Tahiti, they desperately need a big win.

Originally posted by nananana catman
where does tarka ply his trade and his he any good?

Tarka plays at Nottingham Forest, he's ex-Perth Glory and a regular for the Olyroos, very highly rated young player and massive too! Saw him up close at Marden on Wednesday and he's built like a lock forward!

Originally posted by Ray Nolan
Kick Off 8PM CST

Australian line up announced:

Kalac

North Vidmar(c) Tarka Lazaridis

Emerton Grella Skoko Brosque

Aloisi Zdrilic

Australia need only a point to secure its passage through to the next phase. The main interest for me is can Stan Lazaridis finally break his international duck tonight! If we get out to a good lead with plenty of time left I think he should get a run up front! That said though we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves as Vanuatu have a lot to play for and I'm sure they'll come out all guns blazing to show that the New Zealand win was no fluke. With the crunch match between Fiji v Solomon Islands preceding this one it should be an entertaining night of Football for those of us heading to Hindmarsh tonight. In the afternoon game at Marden New Zealand are fighting for their lives against Tahiti, they desperately need a big win.

lol your making it sound like oceania is the most competitive region in the world, na seriously the all whites loss to vanuatu has generated a lot of interest. This actually is exciting and i cant wait to see how the results pan out.

Ray nolan, do you know where alex brosque plays at the current time, i know he was at marconi but is he currently playing in europe or trialing?

I think the starting 11 should get the job done.

Re: Re: Australia v Vanuatu

Originally posted by toulairene
Ray nolan, do you know where alex brosque plays at the current time, i know he was at marconi but is he currently playing in europe or trialing?

As far as I am aware Brosque is still contracted to Marconi at the moment, I'm not sure if he is playing the NSW League or anything like that though to keep him fit for the Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised if he is off to Europe before too long though.

Re: Re: Re: Australia v Vanuatu

Originally posted by Ray Nolan
As far as I am aware Brosque is still contracted to Marconi at the moment, I'm not sure if he is playing the NSW League or anything like that though to keep him fit for the Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised if he is off to Europe before too long though.

I agree, i have seen him rip apart south melbourne at bob jane on many occasions. I think hes a good talent, he should be over in europe very shortly. Its good to see him getting a run.

Originally posted by ross gibbs
hope to see bresh get a run at some stage.

If I can get there before kick-off, I'll probably get a runaround.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The star of the show was undoubtedly the Vanuatu goalkeeper, David Chillia who had a sensational game denying the Socceroos time and again. The Socceroos were made to work hard for their 3-0 win by a Vanuatu side that came with the attitude of 'we don't care who the f**k you are, we're going to make you earn anything you get against us'. And Australia were made to earn their win, Vanuatu was obviously full of confidence after defeating the All Whites and whilst they barely posed an attacking threat they hussled the Australians in midfield and defended like lions. The Socceroos again spent too much time trying to walk the ball into the net, or being too tricky in their build up play when given the way Vanuatu were stacking the defence the best thing to would've been to try and get a few shots off to catch Chillia off guard because he read just about everything that came his way and dealt with it impressively.

I don't think there was any major standout for the Socceroos last night, although Tarka did well in his debut. They had the appearance of a team who are buggered after a long season and are going through the motions in trying to finish this qualifying phase off ASAP. They were never in any real danger from Vanuatu and did only what they had to in order to win. Now that we are through to the next phase it'll be interesting to see what side takes on the Solomon Islands, who if they nab a draw will go through even if the All Whites beat Fiji. The Solomon Islands looked quite impressive against Fiji last night scoring the winner late on to secure a 2-1 win. The Island nations at this tournament have given it their all and shown some great improvement, perhaps there is hope for Oceania yet ...

What a $hit game it was. The only thing worst than the game was the cold.

Australian players thought they were gods, like trying to walk the ball into the net and tripping over the ball. Their passing was crap, their defence looked shoddy. The crowd even booed Emerton as he tried to dribble past the 11 vanuatu players, the 2 linesman, the ref and the emergency referee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia v Vanuatu

Remove this Banner Ad

Back