Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Why don't we select a side made up of players, coaches & umpires that are in the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

The breakdown for selection is as follows:

Starting 18
6 interchange
6 emergencies
1 coach
1 assistant coach
1 umpire

Here's my line-up:

B: G.Ayres (Haw) B.Doull (Carl) G.Southby (Carl)

HB:J.Rantall (Syd/NM/Fitz) T.Whitten snr (WB)(c) P.Knights (Haw)

C: K.Greig (NM) R.Ebert (Port/NM) F.Bourke (Rich)

HF:M.Blight (Wood/NM) D.Brereton (Haw/Syd/Coll) G. Ablett snr (Haw/Geel)

F: T.Lockett (StK/Syd) G.Coventry (Coll) L.Matthews (Haw)

R: G.Farmer (Geel) B.Robran (Nth Adel) B.Cable (NM/WP)

INT: A.Jesaulenko (Carl) S.Michael (SthFrem) S.Madden (Ess) P.Hudson (Haw) B.Skilton (Syd) J.Nicholls (Carl)

EMERG: K.Bartlett (Rich) G.Hocking (Geel) G.Jakovich (WCE) B.Pratt (Syd)
L.Richards (Coll) T.Daniher (Ess)

COACH: Kevin Sheedy (Ess)

ASS.COACH: Ron Barassi (Carl/NM/Melb/Syd)

UMPIRE: Ian Robinson

I hate ppl who pick at other peoples team but no Carey?

I hate to pick also - but Ian Stewart with 3 brownlows would have to be a bit unlucky. As a "Legend" of the game (status since 1996) he and other legends should be automatic selections.

Maybe I'm biased as Ian Stewart was recruited from the Mighty Hobart Football Club!

I hate ppl who pick at other peoples team but no Carey?

lots of notable omission

Sheedy as coach is surprising though

THE AFL TEAM OF THE CENTURY
B: B. Smith, S. Silvagni, J. Nicholls
HB: B. Doull, T. Whitten (c) K. Murray
C: F. Bourke, I. Stewart, K. Greig
HF: A. Jesaulenko, R. Hart, D. Reynolds
F: L. Matthews, J. Coleman, H. Bunton
R: G. Farmer, R. Barassi, B. Skilton
I/C: G. Ablett, J. Dyer, G. Williams
Coach: N. Smith
Umpire: J. Elder

lots of notable omission

Sheedy as coach is surprising though

Mchale or Smith are the obvious considerations for coach - Sheedys record is not that of either of them.

Sheedy 27yrs 4 premierships
Smith 24 yrs 6 premeirships
McHale 38 yrs 8 premierships.

I hate to pick also - but Ian Stewart with 3 brownlows would have to be a bit unlucky.

Haydn Bunton and Dick Reynolds are also triple Brownlow Medallists who have been omitted, whilst Bob Skilton is on the bench. Pretty sure they're all in the Hall of Fame.

Still, I guess there are heaps of great players who have played the game and there's many different possible combinations of "great teams" that could be made. You can't always have everyone selected.

I always puzzle out how Jezza consistently gets left out of starting 18s in these sort of things. The guy was a living god at Carlton and revered in the game during some halycon days. Magical player who could play small or tall, take a grab, exquisite foot skills and reading of the game, dominate backline player, supreme onballer and century goalkicker. Not sure they come much more versatile than that.

I always puzzle out how Jezza consistently gets left out of starting 18s in these sort of things. The guy was a living god at Carlton and revered in the game during some halycon days. Magical player who could play small or tall, take a grab, exquisite foot skills and reading of the game, dominate backline player, supreme onballer and century goalkicker. Not sure they come much more versatile than that.
I think the (incorrect) image is that he wasn't that good of a footballer, only famous for that mark.

I think the (incorrect) image is that he wasn't that good of a footballer, only famous for that mark.
It is amazing how one famous highlight can take away from a career full of highlights.

I equate Jezza to rugby league's Wally Lewis is terms of his reading of the play and leading by example. Just awestruck.

=Here's my line-up:

B: G.Ayres (Haw) B.Doull (Carl) G.Southby (Carl)

HB:J.Rantall (Syd/NM/Fitz) T.Whitten snr (WB) P.Knights (Haw)

C: K.Greig (NM) R.Ebert (Port/NM) F.Bourke (Rich)

HF:A Jesaulenko D.Brereton (Haw/Syd/Coll) G. Ablett snr (Haw/Geel)

F: T.Lockett (StK/Syd) G.Coventry (Coll) L.Matthews (Haw)

R: G.Farmer (Geel) R Barassi (captain) R Skilton

INT: BRobran BCable MBlight S.Michael (SthFrem) S.Madden (Ess) P.Hudson (Haw) B.Skilton (Syd) J.Nicholls (Carl)

EMERG: K.Bartlett (Rich) G.Hocking (Geel) G.Jakovich (WCE) B.Pratt (Syd)
L.Richards (Coll) T.Daniher (Ess)

COACH: J McHale
ASS.COACH: NSmithUMPIRE: Ian Robinson

That's more like it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeans was the greatest coach of all time, but always seems to be overlooked.

Coventry played too long ago to be included in the main squad, im sorry, but hudson was seen, stats not Needed. Dermie was good, but it was flare, Carey would be a better choice at CHF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian Football Hall of Fame Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back