Australian Rules... one for us, and one for others: Opinion Piece by Patrick Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting tidbit in a story about Haynes NFL retirement to play in the Olympics.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/15/tom-coughlin-dwight-freeney-jarryd-hayne-nfl

Wonder if Hayne has been in the WADA testing program long enough to qualify for the Olympics?

Richard Ings was banging away about this yesterday. International Rugby board says no issue and they recently let someone play who was only on the testing pool for a month and have no 6 month limit in their rules.

Well its clear you failed to actually read my post, since you're now repeating some of the points I raised.

This is exactly why I said it won't happen, now you're agreeing with me.

As for the AFL being an omniscient power, no, they are not. What they do have are strong links with business. Have a look. High level corporate sponsorships (both the AFL and all of the clubs), links with media corporations (AFL and all of the clubs), common board members as large corporations, unions, etc) The links at that level are multiple and serious. Why do you think that nobody took the AFL to task over their handling of this issue. Why do you think that the AFL pretty much did as they wanted until this issue went outside Australia. Yes, there is a huge amount of influence in the AFL's corner. I'll repeat what I said earlier, people at that level know things that can damage each other. They don't do it because its a two way street and everybody can damage each other.

This isn't rocket science

You're right. Check team sponsorships -- state governments, newscorp, slater and gordon.

Richard Ings was banging away about this yesterday. International Rugby board says no issue and they recently let someone play who was only on the testing pool for a month and have no 6 month limit in their rules.

Good old International Rugby, who ignored a player who just wanted to join a basic rugby sevens club in Melbourne for two years after trying to escape AFL. Went to ASC, and Australian Rugby after being told by a senior talent officer, they 'didn't want friction between the codes'.

It's fine for Haynes to jump the queue, but for an Australian player who wanted to play the game --no way.
The AOC and the Australian Sports Minister claim they couldn't do anything because it isn't their jurisdicton-- they have no investigative powers. Bill Pulver says he's welcome but wouldn't comment on the two years his sport blocked him from joining any club in rugby.

Doesn't the IOC over-rule the IRB?

Doesn't the IOC over-rule the IRB?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-17/jarryd-hayne-eligible-fiji-rugby-sevens-london/7420210

Seems to be a bit of a loop hole.

He never retired from rugby sevens or even Union, for the 6 months to kick in.

Nothing in the WADA code, therefore individual sports codes, about what happens when an athelte changes sports... Simply don't think anyone thought about someone changing sports and getting to international level in less than 6 months, thus no rule stopping it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-17/jarryd-hayne-eligible-fiji-rugby-sevens-london/7420210

Seems to be a bit of a loop hole.

He never retired from rugby sevens or even Union, for the 6 months to kick in.

Nothing in the WADA code, therefore individual sports codes, about what happens when an athelte changes sports... Simply don't think anyone thought about someone changing sports and getting to international level in less than 6 months, thus no rule stopping it.
And apparently people were impressed with how quickly he picked up the NFL tricks of the trade".

Not all of them I hope ... and nothing "residual" that could get picked up and cloud any future achievements of the Fijian Olympic Team ...

I'm sure that some local press views may change if Fiji beat the Green-&-gold at the World Doping Olympics (aka "'Roids in Rio", although the NRL may be trying to keep a lid on negative press, given the seagull-like clammering of NRL clubs trying to get his attention after the Olympics are over ... "mine, mine, mine, mine ....". Another $500k paper bag incoming ....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-...n-francisco-49ers-coach/7423716?section=sport

"Jarryd Hayne praised by San Francisco 49ers coach, surprised at Fiji rugby sevens switch.

Jarryd Hayne walks off after 49ers win over Raven - PHOTO: 49ers coach Chip Kelly has praised Jarryd Hayne for picking up the tricks of the NFL trade so quickly.
"I was really impressed with how much he picked up," Kelly said.

"This is his second system.

"He's only been in the league for two years and has never played football before." "

And apparently people were impressed with how quickly he picked up the NFL tricks of the trade".

Not all of them I hope ... and nothing "residual" that could get picked up and cloud any future achievements of the Fijian Olympic Team ...

I'm sure that some local press views may change if Fiji beat the Green-&-gold at the World Doping Olympics (aka "'Roids in Rio", although the NRL may be trying to keep a lid on negative press, given the seagull-like clammering of NRL clubs trying to get his attention after the Olympics are over ... "mine, mine, mine, mine ....". Another $500k paper bag incoming ....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-...n-francisco-49ers-coach/7423716?section=sport

"Jarryd Hayne praised by San Francisco 49ers coach, surprised at Fiji rugby sevens switch.

Jarryd Hayne walks off after 49ers win over Raven - PHOTO: 49ers coach Chip Kelly has praised Jarryd Hayne for picking up the tricks of the NFL trade so quickly.
"I was really impressed with how much he picked up," Kelly said.

"This is his second system.

"He's only been in the league for two years and has never played football before." "
Why would he walk away? It doesn't make sense.

But he is an Essendon supporter :huh:

Yes mate. I'm quite aware of that thanks.
That's why I called him a turn coat son of a #####.
#### the ####.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian Rules... one for us, and one for others: Opinion Piece by Patrick Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back