Review AUTOPSY: Dogs Win A Cracker Over Hawthorn (despite many supporters panicking as usual) - Rd 2, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the claims that the game was fixed and that there is some AFL agenda to try to get the Dogs wins. It's flat-earth level thinking.
The best bit is that it's coming from Hawks fans. It's like they've forgotten the "Free Kick Hawthorn" era.

I remember noting this in one of the other threads, but seems like literally every single time Sydney or Hawthorn lose, their fans just go nuts with theories about how there is an umpiring conspiracy against them. Neither team ever seems to be beaten fairly, it's always just the AFL conspiring against them

Hunter only got 4 goal assists last year from 77 inside 50s, an average of .2 a game. Same number of goal assists as Lipinski (27 i50), Webb (11), Dale (15), and Roarke Smith (8). 23 players got more goal assists than him, only 3 with more inside 50s.

This year he's equal second for inside 50s and hasn't had a goal assist yet. Richards and Smith have 2 each, for all the criticism they get. He's a great defensive player and accumulator but for some reason he's getting the ball when we're attacking too often. I'd almost rather him on half back.
Hunter can control the wings to HBF, we want Red and Smith controlling the wings to HFF IMO

I watched the game again and I think Schache was involved in nearly every goal in the last quarter, even if he didn't touch the footy. He kept leading up at the ball and providing structure to our Fwd line. And he never stopped even when we got 2-3 goals up, he handballed sharply to Wallis who got it to Mclean, which lead to Gowers goal. Then after the next centre bounce he laid a great run from behind tackle that could have been HTB. His intensity is improving and I feel like this animal spirit vibe we produce(esp with Libba) is infecting him too. I can think of another pick 2 from a previous year who he shits all over right now.

Hunter only got 4 goal assists last year from 77 inside 50s, an average of .2 a game. Same number of goal assists as Lipinski (27 i50), Webb (11), Dale (15), and Roarke Smith (8). 23 players got more goal assists than him, only 3 with more inside 50s.

This year he's equal second for inside 50s and hasn't had a goal assist yet. Richards and Smith have 2 each, for all the criticism they get. He's a great defensive player and accumulator but for some reason he's getting the ball when we're attacking too often. I'd almost rather him on half back.
I remember saying to the unknown Bulldog supporter next to me (as you do) when the frustration levels were rising: "I'll bet Hunter ends up with about 33 disposals and looks a million dollars on the stats sheet but how many of those actually benefit the team?"
So many scrubby 30-35m kicks to no-one's advantage. Perhaps I need to look at the replay to see if my observations matched reality but really his disposal can be shite sometimes. He's a key player so I guess we just have to take the good with the bad.

Last edited:
I remember saying to the unknown Bulldog supporter next to me (as you do) when the frustration levels were rising: "I'll bet Hunter ends up with about 33 disposals and looks a million dollars on the stats sheet but how many of those actually benefit the team?"
So many scrubby 30-35mm kicks to no-one's advantage. Perhaps I need to look at the replay to see if my observations matched reality but really his disposal can be shite sometimes. He's a key player so I guess we just have to take the good with the bad.
I think I may have heard or read somewhere recently where both Bont and Bevo have described him as the most important player/link in the team. presumably because of his gut running and ability to always present as an option. It's hard to argue with either Bevo or Bont. Both of them doubly so.

However, I also get frustrated at his disposal by foot and turnovers. There were a number of examples on Sunday.

His obvious strengths are his tank and ability to present as an option for the entire game and as others have mentioned, he seems better bringing it out from half back to the centrefield. Once it gets to centrefield and beyond I'd rather it with someone else. But there is still merit in him providing an option and making an opponent accountable up the ground even though I'd prefer we didn't exercise that option but rather find an alternative.

I love the claims that the game was fixed and that there is some AFL agenda to try to get the Dogs wins. It's flat-earth level thinking.
Right on! We all know the AFL's agenda is to screw the Dogs.

So many scrubby 30-35mm kicks to no-one's advantage. Perhaps I need to look at the replay to see if my observations matched reality but really his disposal can be shite sometimes. He's a key player so I guess we just have to take the good with the bad.

I think Hunter is our 5th best mid when the others are up and firing. But the guy was on the chopping block early 2015, and then about round 17 he just exploded as a gut running mid. He has come a long way, won a b&f and is a huge part of our 2-way running. He doesn't create many goals, but he can occasionally kick a couple, and saves plenty by getting back and providing an option.

Yeah the 2 goal assists from 77 inside 50s was the lowest conversion rate of the top 50 inside 50 kickers in the league, and that's where the improvement is left in him if he wants to be an elite player. But he should still be respected for his effort to come good as a player.

What crap. The circle is about a metre or so wide. He's told to clear out so runs directly out to the position he should be in, which takes him that full 1-2 metres through the circle.... which takes a whole **** all of a second. He took the direct route to his starting position as he was asked and got penalised for it.

The centre circle is a metre wide you guys... even the small circle is 3 metres wide, the larger one(which is the one the rule applies to) is 10m. I give up with those Hawthorn posters.

I was pretty critical of English throughout the day at the ground, because he didn't hold onto a mark until the last quarter. But once I've watched the game back on TV, I realise it's harder to see his high work rate at the ground, the amount of contests he provides, and how much he actually improved throughout the day. I hope we never play Trengove again, because I just wanna see our Scott Wynd Mk11 continue to develop - he's going to dominate.

Shaquille getting so much more of it is so exciting as well. He is improving out of sight, and just looks far more confident. Getting that handball receive and banana to goal in Q4 just shows he's so much more confident in his ability and knows his place in the team. The team balance itself if just so much better around the ground; we look like a totally new side. With Shaq next to Naughton's big mits, and hungry mid-small forwards circling the ground ball, freeing up Bonty to go back in the guts, with the Libba of old, the 6-6-6 rule suits our team so much. Easton wood is getting back to some solid form, and Duryea & Lloyd have already shown whey they were recruited.

So many positives to take out of the first 2 weeks, and my attitude has completely changed for the season. All the optimistic posts people have been making on these boards have come to fruition very early, and with Williams, JJ & Toyd to return in the coming weeks, there's certainly room for even more optimism. 2019 Is going to be far more exciting than I expected..!

GO DOGS!
#mightywest

Last edited:
I see that Bob Mueller has completed his last assignment. Perhaps the Swans BF members would like to hire him to write a full report(or maybe just a four page summary?) regarding the umpire cheating and present it in a couple of years. I don't mind waiting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now, come on, you know that the Dogs throw, duck, dive and pay off the umpires to get wins, ask any Swans supporter.

Mind you, the umps owe us plenty, they didn't keep their end of the bargain over the last 2 years :mad:

Well was just havin a laugh, cause it was said. Not interested in a fight so didn't name or quote you, but if you're going to call me a six year old then this is exactly what you said an hour ago:

I'm tempted to block this dude. Anyone who disagrees with him gets verbally smacked around. Doesn't bring anything constructive to the discussion.

I think I may have heard or read somewhere recently where both Bont and Bevo have described him as the most important player/link in the team. presumably because of his gut running and ability to always present as an option. It's hard to argue with either Bevo or Bont. Both of them doubly so.

That was me. But don't worry - i am often mistaken for the Bont. And Bev. And in fact both combined.

Something just occurred to me, which I don't think has been mentioned.

Already in Round 2 the theme of the season is consolidating....

It revolves around the 6-6-6 rule and the lack of runners. People are realising that these have two effects:
1) It makes centre clearances even more important than they used to be.
2) It makes it that much harder to stop teams getting a roll on, especially in the last qtr.

The conventional wisdom about our win on the weekend was that this was a sign of things to come with footy in 2019 - late-charging teams becoming an unstoppable force; huge gargantuan momentum swings etc. etc.

OK - this is what has been missed - what happened in Round 1? We were at the arse-end of a huge momentum swing. Much like us against Hawthorn - very similar score turnarounds at very similar times of the game. The difference was when the Swans drew level we didn't lose our sh!t and we came back with another burst - not prompted by the coaches, not prompted by the runners, just the players doing it themselves.

In hindsight it makes the Rd 1 win seem that much better. This has the makings of being a very very good midfield.

Wasn't expecting anything much from Schache as 2Nd Ruck but he was very effective. He kicked at least 2 of his goals whilst rucking. He seemed to enjoy the space to run around in and the lack of a close checking opponent.

If he can produce that consistently he will be a nightmare for opposition coaches.
He's kicked 3 of his 5 goals so far as a ruckman... I'm tipping the coach is over the moon and won't be rushing back to two conventional rucks whilst the Shack is performing the way he is.

Hunter got 2 votes from the coaches. I thought he was good yesterday. Don’t understand the hate for his game on here.
Because some people (sadly too many) choose to see the negative and are blinded by the positives (queue the rosy glasses taunts), sure Hunter is subject to a horrible kick or two a game which can be hard to forget at times but works harder and runs longer than just about any other player and doesn't lose many one on ones, give him a five year contract I say!!!

Just watched the replay. Good lord, Mcadam should stick to channel 31. Seems like a lovely bloke but so far out of his depth.
He was very nervous, poor chap. But he’ll get better.

Now, come on, you know that the Dogs throw, duck, dive and pay off the umpires to get wins, ask any Swans supporter.

Mind you, the umps owe us plenty, they didn't keep their end of the bargain over the last 2 years :mad:

I love these conspiracy theories...

They're all work in our favour!

Finally got around to watching the last quarter (after missing the 2nd half)
Man that was a good fight. Didn't drop our heads at all, and kept pushing.
Duryea was handy across half back, and English look real good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AUTOPSY: Dogs Win A Cracker Over Hawthorn (despite many supporters panicking as usual) - Rd 2, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back