Awesome 80's - the music.

Remove this Banner Ad

you must've stopped looking because theres heaps of fantastic stuff going around.

well actually i still listen to the latest music, the radio and yeah the 90s weren't too bad either. but honestly this is NOTHING compared to the time of the 80s and before!!! and i don't mean this in a nostalgic way (coz it was before my time anyway ^_^). it's just the best music ever (apart from mozart maybe ^_-) !!!!

There's not much here that I could add to but I'll recite some classic concerts I went to in the 80's:

- Tears for Fears at the Glass House, Melbourne; 1985
- Midnight Oil supported by Hunters & Collectors and The Warumpi Band at the Portarlington Football Ground (watched it for free of course from the trees!); 1984
- U2 at The Tennis Centre, Melbourne; 1988
- Simple Minds at The Tennis Centre, Melbourne; 1989
- Sting at Festival Hall, Melbourne; 1985
- The Angels, Rockalonga, Yarrawonga; c.1984-5
- Kids in The Kitchen, Deniliquin Football Ground; 1984
- Midnight Oil, The Tennis Centre, Melbourne 1989
- Darryl Braithwaite, The Lemon Tree, Carlton (with 2 other people in the room!), 1988
- Major Minor (fore runner to The Truth, John Butler Trio and Bomba), Richmond Social Club; 1987
- Crowded House with The Black Sorrows, Festival Hall; 1986 & 1987
- UB40, Festival Hall, Melbourne; 1988
- AC/DC, The Tennis Centre, Melbourne; 1989
- Johnny Diesel & The Injectors, Rockalonga, Yarrawonga; 1986
- James Reyne, Noiseworks, Chantoozies at The Glass House ($10 ticket front row folks!!!!), Melbourne; 1988
- This Is Serious Mum (TISM) at both the Melbourne Town Hall and The Venue; 1988-9
- James Reyne, The Venue, St Kilda; 1987
- The Ho Dads (Fore runners to Chocolate Starfish), The Station, Greville Street, Prahran; 1988-9
- Boom Crash Opera, some night club in Carlton; 1989
- The Police, supported by Aussie Crawl and Bryan Adams, the Melbourne Showgrounds, Flemington; 1984 (nah didn't really go but my sisters went and I wasn't allowed to and cried all day!)

I'm racking my brain for more of these old bands that I saw in the 80's - a real mix there and more will come to mind as I clear the hazy clouds of alcohol induced forgetfullness which accompanied nearly all of the concerts post 1987!

I absolutely love his "unpolished" version of Leilani that was made back when the Hoodoo Gurus were known as Le Hoodoo Gurus.

The energy of the band and the dancers in the crowd always strikes me as totally spontaneous and genuine.

They make a sad song seem like rollicking good fun....except for the Johnny Ramone lookalike drummer who looks oooooooh so serious. Kinda makes it even more good fun in a perverse kind of way:):D

Last edited:
I absolutely love his "unpolished" version of Leilani that was made back when the Hoodoo Gurus were known as Le Hoodoo Gurus.

The energy of the band and the dancers in the crowd always strikes me as totally spontaneous and genuine.

They make a sad song seem like rollicking good fun....except for the Johnny Ramone lookalike drummer who looks oooooooh so serious. Kinda makes it even more good fun in a perverse kind of way:):D

The drummer is James Baker from the Scientists (they did swampland) this is pre Clyde Bramley and Brad Shepherd both from the hitmen.

Dont know about unpolished I played in a ton of bands that would have died for that production.

Good find.

The drummer is James Baker from the Scientists (they did swampland) this is pre Clyde Bramley and Brad Shepherd both from the hitmen.

Dont know about unpolished I played in a ton of bands that would have died for that production.

Good find.

When I say "unpolished" I do so with the greatest affection

I discovered Leilani on FM radio in the mid-80's , the version played being from the Gurus Stoneage Romeos Album. It was this song that prompted me to rush out and buy that Album. That version was a more highly produced one that the one in the clip I posted.

An Album of high quality with (as far as I'm concerned) having no "fillers" at all. Unlike some other more famous bands that I could name that were notorious for having 2, 3 , maybe 4 quality songs an an Album with the rest being total crap.

I later (actually much later) stumbled on the version that I posted during a random Utube session (one of my favorite pastimes because you never know what gems you might uncover):)

I like it better than the Album version now because of its raw energy and sincerity.

When I say "unpolished" I do so with the greatest affection

I discovered Leilani on FM radio in the mid-80's , the version played being from the Gurus Stoneage Romeos Album. It was this song that prompted me to rush out and buy that Album. That version was a more highly produced one that the one in the clip I posted.

An Album of high quality with (as far as I'm concerned) having no "fillers" at all. Unlike some other more famous bands that I could name that were notorious for having 2, 3 , maybe 4 quality songs an an Album with the rest being total crap.

I later (actually much later) stumbled on the version that I posted during a random Utube session (one of my favorite pastimes because you never know what gems you might uncover):)

I like it better than the Album version now because of its raw energy and sincerity.
It also has 3 guitars and no Bass, which gives it a different feel.

Used to dance to this at the Court Jester disco, pissed on beer and double vodka and oranges. When I say dance I mean jumping up and down on the one spot.

Moving this over from another thread.

This is the greatest live show I went to in the Eighties ... The Clash 23rd Feb 1982, Festival Hall, Melbourne.

I had a cassette bootleg of the show, but lost it. Now I have it again thanks to the wonders of the internet.

33 tracks of Clash magic and while the recorded sound quality is not that flash, you have to believe me when I say that it sounded way better being there live.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9c2260n09djh5e8

For Clash fans, check out the list of live shows for download on this blog. AMAZING LIST!:

http://laconquistadelpunk.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/audios-de-clash-en-directo.html

Enjoy!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's not much here that I could add to but I'll recite some classic concerts I went to in the 80's:

- Tears for Fears at the Glass House, Melbourne; 1985
- Midnight Oil supported by Hunters & Collectors and The Warumpi Band at the Portarlington Football Ground (watched it for free of course from the trees!); 1984
- U2 at The Tennis Centre, Melbourne; 1988
- Simple Minds at The Tennis Centre, Melbourne; 1989
- Sting at Festival Hall, Melbourne; 1985
- The Angels, Rockalonga, Yarrawonga; c.1984-5
- Kids in The Kitchen, Deniliquin Football Ground; 1984
- Midnight Oil, The Tennis Centre, Melbourne 1989
- Darryl Braithwaite, The Lemon Tree, Carlton (with 2 other people in the room!), 1988
- Major Minor (fore runner to The Truth, John Butler Trio and Bomba), Richmond Social Club; 1987
- Crowded House with The Black Sorrows, Festival Hall; 1986 & 1987
- UB40, Festival Hall, Melbourne; 1988
- AC/DC, The Tennis Centre, Melbourne; 1989
- Johnny Diesel & The Injectors, Rockalonga, Yarrawonga; 1986
- James Reyne, Noiseworks, Chantoozies at The Glass House ($10 ticket front row folks!!!!), Melbourne; 1988
- This Is Serious Mum (TISM) at both the Melbourne Town Hall and The Venue; 1988-9
- James Reyne, The Venue, St Kilda; 1987
- The Ho Dads (Fore runners to Chocolate Starfish), The Station, Greville Street, Prahran; 1988-9
- Boom Crash Opera, some night club in Carlton; 1989
- The Police, supported by Aussie Crawl and Bryan Adams, the Melbourne Showgrounds, Flemington; 1984 (nah didn't really go but my sisters went and I wasn't allowed to and cried all day!)

I'm racking my brain for more of these old bands that I saw in the 80's - a real mix there and more will come to mind as I clear the hazy clouds of alcohol induced forgetfullness which accompanied nearly all of the concerts post 1987!
Some good ones on your list Tim.

Here are the ones I can remember from the Eighties.

I used to spend a fair bit of time at the Seaview Ballroom and the Prince of Wales and saw heaps of great bands there in the early to mid 80's, which got me thinking about bands I saw there and other great bands in general. Here's a bit of a list of those I can remember seeing, starting with the more notable acts I saw at the Ballroom and then wandering off to other times and other places in the 1980’s.

The Birthday Party, The Fall, The Violent Femmes, The Dead Kennedys (At the Seaview Ballroom and Monash Uni), Public Image Ltd, Iggy Pop, The Damned (The Venue), The Clash (Festival Hall), The Ramones, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Buzzcocks, The Laughing Clowns, The Models, Hunters and Collectors, The Go Betweens, The Triffids, The Residents, The Scientists, The Moodists, U2 (1984), David Bowie (1983), Nico (Prince of Wales), R.E.M.(1989 Festival Hall supported by the Go-Betweens), Died Pretty, Killing Joke (Melbourne Uni), Cabaret Voltaire, The Sunnyboys, The Screaming Tribesmen, The Celibate Rifles, The Hard Ons, The Moffs, Hoodoo Gurus, Midnight Oil (Sentimental Bloke Hotel in Bulleen and Melbourne Uni) The Pogues, The Huxton Creepers, Cosmic Psycho’s, Paul Kelly and the Coloured Girls, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Siouxsie and the Banshees (Astor Theatre), The Cure (The Saloon in Toorak Rd and The Palais) New Order (Palais Theatre), The Monkees, Boomtown Rats, Gary Numan, Psychedelic Furs, Lime Spiders, The Saints, The Church, The Angels, Skyhooks (Festival Hall Reunion), AC/DC, Australian Crawl, The Flowers, The Vapours, Mental as Anything (Crystal Palace and Sentimental Bloke Hotel, Bulleen), The Corpse Grinders, Depression, The Wreckery, Feral Dinosaurs, The Curse, The Reels, Sacred Cowboys, Billy Bragg, Blue Ruin, T.I.S.M. (Old Greek Theatre) and plenty more I can't remember offhand.

Last edited:
Quite a few great bands amongst that list 3KZ is Football

Depression was my favourite out of that list, but also enjoyed similar bands in that genre such as Cosmic Psychos, Tumbleweed, Spiderbait, Celibate Rifles, Bored! etc. (although Depression were a lot punkier than the others although their album Thrash TIll Death was more metal).

Some overseas bands I saw in the early 90’s were in about 91 at the Metro (I was pretty young and an uncle working in the scene snuck me in) was Janes Addiction which was a cracking gig for a young fella. Another gig was RHCP at Festival Hall in around 90 (same uncle got me in and I watched onstage from the side) although the tour was delayed after John Frusciante walked out on the band and the concert was pushed back about 6 months. The last few were Nirvana at the Palace in 93 and Suicidal Tendencies a year or so later at the same venue and Pennywise thereabouts too at Festival Hall.

Sadly, Dead Kennedy’s were before my time to catch them live in Melbourne.

“All I wanted was a Pepsi and she wouldn’t give it to me.”

Love Jane’s Addiction too.

I moved to Camperdown from St.Kilda in Feb 1990 and then later that year to Warrnambool, so my band watching options diminished somewhat. :'(

Last edited:
“All I wanted was a Pepsi and she wouldn’t give it to me.”

Love Jane’s Addition too.

I moved to Camperdown from St.Kilda in Feb 1990 and then later that year to Warrnambool, so my band watching options diminished somewhat. :'(
Whilst they aren’t what they used to be, Suicidal are still going strong and I still get out and see any gigs they play.

I also caught Depression for a reunion gig last year too.

Another band I forgot are Northcote’s own Blood Duster, certainly not from the 80’s, but late 90’s-00’s and they’re great live and well worth checking out if you’re into that genre of types of bands I’ve listed.

Whilst they aren’t what they used to be, Suicidal are still going strong and I still get out and see any gigs they play.

I also caught Depression for a reunion gig last year too.

Another band I forgot are Northcote’s own Blood Duster, certainly not from the 80’s, but late 90’s-00’s and they’re great live and well worth checking out if you’re into that genre of types of bands I’ve listed.
As you can see from my list, love punk and don’t mind some of the thrashier hardcore bands that came out of the states like Black Flag and Minor Threat. Liked Husker Du a lot and also a big fan of Dinosaur Jr, who weren’t punk but were loud and could thrash it out. Here’s a few you will know.

A bit more obscure but liked this song by Flipper a lot.

They were not 80s but I saw Radio Birdman at the Roxy early to mid 90s. Great gig. Dinosaur jnr plenty of times.

Saw the Pixies second time around a while ago, which was good because I just got to see them.

Never got to see Husker Du, but did see Sugar.

The Cult at Mansfield Tavern, not a great gig but I was standing next to a 6 8 skinhead who thankfully didnt decide to kill me.

The Angels, somewhere near Rosebud with a very young Groo2 tagging along.
Some good ones on your list Tim.

Here are the ones I can remember from the Eighties.

I used to spend a fair bit of time at the Seaview Ballroom and the Prince of Wales and saw heaps of great bands there in the early to mid 80's, which got me thinking about bands I saw there and other great bands in general. Here's a bit of a list of those I can remember seeing, starting with the more notable acts I saw at the Ballroom and then wandering off to other times and other places in the 1980’s.

The Birthday Party, The Fall, The Violent Femmes, The Dead Kennedys (At the Seaview Ballroom and Monash Uni), Public Image Ltd, Iggy Pop, The Damned (The Venue), The Clash (Festival Hall), The Ramones, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Buzzcocks, The Laughing Clowns, The Models, Hunters and Collectors, The Go Betweens, The Triffids, The Residents, The Scientists, The Moodists, U2 (1984), David Bowie (1983), Nico (Prince of Wales), R.E.M.(1989 Festival Hall supported by the Go-Betweens), Died Pretty, Killing Joke (Melbourne Uni), Cabaret Voltaire, The Sunnyboys, The Screaming Tribesmen, The Celibate Rifles, The Hard Ons, The Moffs, Hoodoo Gurus, Midnight Oil (Sentimental Bloke Hotel in Bulleen and Melbourne Uni) The Pogues, The Huxton Creepers, Cosmic Psycho’s, Paul Kelly and the Coloured Girls, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Siouxsie and the Banshees (Astor Theatre), The Cure (The Saloon in Toorak Rd and The Palais) New Order (Palais Theatre), Boomtown Rats, Gary Numan, Psychedelic Furs, Lime Spiders, The Saints, The Church, The Flowers, The Vapours, The Corpse Grinders, Depression, The Wreckery, Feral Dinosaurs, The Curse, The Reels, Sacred Cowboys, Billy Bragg, Blue Ruin, T.I.S.M. (Old Greek Theatre) and plenty more I can't remember offhand.

The Angels, somewhere near Rosebud with a very young Groo2 tagging along.
Oh yes I forgot about that New Years Eve Rob! There was also The Hoodoo Gurus at The Matthew Flinders Hotel with you. We are Fitzroy Football Club and ROCK 'N' ROLL Cousins!

I'm going to edit my original post. I also remembered that I saw AC/DC at the Myer Music Bowl in Feb 1981 for Back in Black Tour, The Monkees at The Venue, Mental As Anything at the Sentimental Bloke in Bulleen and Australian Crawl all over the place.

Last edited:
I was Melbourne Uni from 1985-1992 and saw many band during this time. Favourites were TISM, Hunters and Collectors, Hard Ons and Cosmic Pychos - went to as many as I could. Most was TISM at least 15 times. Great Trucking Songs of the Renaissance is a classic was the music of choice for a long time.

Best concert and most memorable was Cosmic Phycos at the that theature in Richmond. One of those weekends when you leave home on Friday and return on Sunday evening.. before mobiles and just AWOL!

Also went to many college balls and remember the Angles one year! Hunters and Hoodoo Gurus also were awesome live. Midnight Oil were also great to see before they got too big. Also want to mention Bored! (Geelong band!) - still play them on vinyl occasionally. Saw 'I Spit on Gravy' one time and that was an experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back