Axl Rose tops greatest lead singers poll

Remove this Banner Ad

davywap

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2010
on a chair
AFL Club
Collingwood
Excuse me if there is a thread on this already, but I did a search and couldn't find one.

Axl Rose was received the most votes in a recent poll by MusicRadar.com to find the most popular lead singer of all time.

Poll link is here: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/the-30-greatest-lead-singers-of-all-time-315448/30

GNR is my favourite band of all time and I'm a huge Axl fan, it's great to see him get some accolades for a change instead of the usual shit he cops. However my favourite front-man of all time is Mike Patton but he didn't even make this list of 30.

Do you agree with these voters? Who's your favourite front-man?
(N.B. This is a poll for band front-men, not solo singers, etc.)

sorry have to dis-regard any poll that deems axel rose a better front man than freddie mercury or robert plant, or mick jagger, or thom york, or ........

well you get the point

yeah axel wasn't a great singer. he was more a frontman that has that something you can't put your finger on.

i'm a bit of gunners fan. november rain and sweet child would be very high on my list of favourite tunes, but the quality of their tunes drops off pretty dramatically IMO.

I like G N' R but Axl's distinctive voice isn't one that has universal appeal. Certainly doesn't have one of the great rock voices per se, but ranks higher as a frontman, i.e. taking stage presence into account.

Edit: what Black Thunder said.

sorry have to dis-regard any poll that deems axel rose a better front man than freddie mercury or robert plant, or mick jagger, or thom york, or ........

well you get the point

IMO Radiohead shit on GNR from a great height as far as their respective musical output but how is Thom Yorke a better frontman than Axl Rose?

well you get the point
This is pretty much all that needs to be said... Except for the part when you put Thom Yorke in the same sentence as Freddie Mercury, Robert Plant and Mick Jagger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of points here:

• The poll is for lead vocalists and not based purely on singing ability
  • It is a poll that readers voted on, not just 5 journos who think they know it all, so it's based purely on opinion (like any poll I guess) and to say these voters don't know what they're talking about is like me telling you that you don't
  • Saying Axl can't sing is just naive. He's not your classic vocalist, very unorthodox but that's part of the appeal. I would say that Kurt Cobain can't sing for shit, but that doesn't stop me from loving Nirvana's music and doesn't stop him from being high up on that list. I've seen GNR 3 times live in my life and the last time was just this December past and his voice was immaculate, best singing performance I've heard from him.
  • Most people posting here who have trashed Rose have not put up there nomination(s)
  • Yes, Mike Patton's omission from that list is a HUGE oversight

Having recently had a listen to Appetite for Destruction for the first time in many years, Axl's singing on there is f**king awesome. I don't know how anyone could think he can't sing. Check out the start of Paradise City where he is doing that subtle deep vocal, or the chorus of You're Crazy with those really high backing vocals. His range and variety on that album is gold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Axl Rose tops greatest lead singers poll

Remove this Banner Ad

Back