Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that the Cats culture would probably be better for him (in terms of off-field, etc).
However, I think he would much rather be part of the culture brewing over at Hawthorn.

It will be interesting to see who he nominates. As others have said, it seems we have really cooled on him as our focus has moved to a key defender given our midfield seems to have massively developed this year.

It doesn’t make sense that he’d leave the dogs to join Hawks. The reason he’d go to Geelong (or suns) does make sense though.

It doesn’t make sense that he’d leave the dogs to join Hawks. The reason he’d go to Geelong (or suns) does make sense though.
It made sense to the Hawks 12 months ago.

With our development over this season he would need to battle it out with Day, Newcombe, Worpel and Nash for a main spot in the midfield rotations, and there is no guarantee he would get the spot.

Whereas at the cats he is the perfect player to take over from Danger as the number 1 man.

With our development over this season he would need to battle it out with Day, Newcombe, Worpel and Nash for a main spot in the midfield rotations, and there is no guarantee he would get the spot.

Whereas at the cats he is the perfect player to take over from Danger as the number 1 man.

That’s what I mean, Hawks and Dogs are on similar trajectories and both have a set midfield he’d struggle to get a game in.

Suns and Geelong could use him, and he’d get away from the noise a bit.

I agree that the Cats culture would probably be better for him (in terms of off-field, etc).
However, I think he would much rather be part of the culture brewing over at Hawthorn.

It will be interesting to see who he nominates. As others have said, it seems we have really cooled on him as our focus has moved to a key defender given our midfield seems to have massively developed this year.
Read halfback dashers post.

He’s not for us.

is he an extractor or more of an outside mid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More of an accumulating outside mid…which is exactly what we need.
Cuthrie hasn’t played for basically two years and he was that guy for us.

We already have bulk defensive mids eg Blicavs, Atkins, Bowes, Clark
Only really have Holmes when he goes in there and Bruhn as attacking mids.

Danger is kind of a “one of a kind bull” that only comes around once a generation so not really any comparable types around the League to bring in,

More of an accumulating outside mid…which is exactly what we need.
Cuthrie hasn’t played for basically two years and he was that guy for us.

We already have bulk defensive mids eg Blicavs, Atkins, Bowes, Clark
Only really have Holmes when he goes in there and Bruhn as attacking mids.

Danger is kind of a “one of a kind bull” that only comes around once a generation so not really any comparable types around the League to bring in,
thats what i thought, been a while since i saw him play, but an absolute jet attacking mid is what i thought - would be a real steal for anything less than a couple of high picks

He wants to play as an extractor that can burst out of the stoppage with pace, similar to Eagles-era Judd.

I don't think he is the kind of player you want to have as your 'outside' mid because his disposal by foot isn't fantastic.

At Hawthorn he'd be fighting for a spot against Newcombe and Worpel.
If I had a choice between 2021 finals Smith and Worpel, I'd take Smith every time.

This year Worpel has performed very well (I think he's been very underrated this year) and there is no way to know exactly how Smith will come back after his ACL.

There is no reason for Hawks to pursue him anymore given we have quite good depth in the midfield now, with AFL quality youngsters like Ward, Hustwaite and Maginness being held back in the 2s.

[QUOTE="

I don't think he is the kind of player you want to have as your 'outside' mid because his disposal by foot isn't fantastic.
[/QUOTE]

Nice way of putting it. He had something like a 2% kicking efficiency i50 last year.

He wants to play as an extractor that can burst out of the stoppage with pace, similar to Eagles-era Judd.

If I had a choice between 2021 finals Smith and Worpel, I'd take Smith every time.

This year Worpel has performed very well (I think he's been very underrated this year) and there is no way to know exactly how Smith will come back after his ACL.

There is no reason for Hawks to pursue him anymore given we have quite good depth in the midfield now, with AFL quality youngsters like Ward, Hustwaite and Maginness being held back in the 2s.
I agree with this. The player he wants to be and the player we need are in perfect alignment

It's an opinion game and Smith is a marvellous player, but Worpel has had 3 seasons (2019, 2023 and 2024) where his average afl rankings points have been better than Smith's best season, the 2021 season you are talking about. Worpel also has a B&F when we weren't completely shit (hawks finished 9th).

They play a very similar game, inside power but questions on their kicking. However Worpels kicking has improved out of sight this year.

So I agree, he is no longer a need for hawthorn. (I would still be delighted if they got him though!)

Many Hawks fans have taken until this year to realise that Worpel is the better player, myself included. He has done it more consistently in more seasons.

Good luck to Bailey, I like him as a character and hope he recovers well.

Last edited:
You have that many midfielders in your squad and team , Knevitt is the last person you will need...

We kind of at a point where we need to be mindful that Libba Treloar and Macrae are 30 or older. Bont is late 20s too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back