Speculation Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Duncan will stay on another year I expect.
The rest will retire or leave but only Touhy will hurt because the others haven't really had a hand in the surge of Geelong back into to the top 4 contention. It's likely they'll have just miss the top 8 for a couple of years but not a dire drop off.

Cats fans are hilarious. The downplaying of Smiths ability. Now also trying to tell us they will fall off a cliff next year. Classic stuff.
Duncan will stay on another year I expect.
The rest will retire or leave but only Touhy will hurt because the others haven't really had a hand in the surge of Geelong back into to the top 4 contention. It's likely they'll have just miss the top 8 for a couple of years but not a dire drop off.

You gotta admit it's pretty ironic though.

We've spent the best part of 15 years being told the cliff is coming next year, and been called delusional for saying it's not going to happen.

Now we're saying it might happen, and you're telling us it won't. Nothing wrong with it - everyone's entitled to an opinion - just amusing is all.

What we're getting at is a 1-2 year drop which is genuinely possible, particularly if we get hit with injuries.

If we get lucky then I'm inclined to agree with you, but you could say the same about a lot of sides if they get lucky with injuries.

It's not the players we'll be losing on paper. They're either not playing, not best 23, or in our bottom 6 nowadays.

The problem is with those players going out and only Baz + draftees coming in, our depth is literally just going to be kids, rather than veterans or mid tier role players like Parfitt like it is this year.

It might not hurt us if everything goes right, but it only take a few to go down and suddenly you're playing 18-20 year olds in key positions all over the field, to go with the kids who are already playing...so you can see why we're wary of what could happen.

When are we likely to know where Smith is headed? I don't tune into much trade stuff so not sure if there's a common pattern for this kind of thing..

When are we likely to know where Smith is headed? I don't tune into much trade stuff so not sure if there's a common pattern for this kind of thing..

Anywhere from after Dogs and Geel or Hawks season is over. Unless he actually signed on, which could be anytime.

I like this.

Except when we draft with first round picks we don’t miss.

Busslinger will play one day.
Oh you dont get the wells info for the first pick. You get it for the round 3 pick. Can’t give you everything!

Or a Jhye Clark.... haha
Clark was a first rounder, I never said we would tell the dogs what to pick with that pick, on;y the third rounder. Oh and Jhye. Will be a player. Some patience is required here.

I don't think we need to be told how to draft spuds like Jhye Clark or Connor O'Sullivan anyway, the third round advice should be most helpful.
Tell you what, if your standards say that Clark and O'Sullivan are spuds then your club standards must be off the chart. Must have won the last 4 in a row

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Geelong supporters don't want to give up a F1 because they believe they will drop down the ladder next season then why are they bothering to get Bailey Smith in?

Surely the reason for chasing Smith is to stay in contention, especially if you are giving up decent collateral.

If you give up decent picks for a player when you are about to slide it seems the wrong call. Rather take these picks to the draft.

Unless of course the true belief is that Bailey keeps you in the hunt ...

If Geelong supporters don't want to give up a F1 because they believe they will drop down the ladder next season then why are they bothering to get Bailey Smith in?

Surely the reason for chasing Smith is to stay in contention, especially if you are giving up decent collateral.

If you give up decent picks for a player when you are about to slide it seems the wrong call. Rather take these picks to the draft.

Because without him we will drop further

Can only speak as supporters, but I'd say it's because our pick is in the teens.

If we had a top 5-10 pick most of us would just prefer to go to the draft, and that's why nobody wants to take the risk with the future first.

It's pretty simple: We want him, but for the right price...and are more than happy to let him go elsewhere if that price isn't met.

Can only speak as supporters, but I'd say it's because our pick is in the teens.

If we had a top 5-10 pick most of us would just prefer to go to the draft, and that's why nobody wants to take the risk with the future first.

It's pretty simple: We want him, but for the right price...and are more than happy to let him go elsewhere if that price isn't met.

The right price is a pick 5-10. A pick in the teens would require an f1 too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You want what Richmond gave up for Taranto? I wouldn't think that would happen.

Kelly, Taranto etc. many players not as good as Bailey Smith have received heavy compensation. Not saying two firsts will happen, but it is the right price.

If he does nominate cats which I still think isn’t a guarantee, it’ll probably end up being a first and second. Many dogs fans would agree that’s unders.

Kelly, Taranto etc. many players not as good as Bailey Smith have received heavy compensation. Not saying two firsts will happen, but it is the right price.

If he does nominate cats which I still think isn’t a guarantee, it’ll probably end up being a first and second. Many dogs fans would agree that’s unders.
Kelly was leagues ahead of Smith at the time, pointless comparison.

Had just finished top 5 in the Brownlow and been AA. Get back to us when Bailey's achieved anything close to that.

Kelly was leagues ahead of Smith at the time, pointless comparison.

Had just finished top 5 in the Brownlow and been AA. Get back to us when Bailey's achieved anything close to that.
Kelly is definitely better statistically but it's not like he's leagues ahead.

The age factor has to be considered as well, but then so does the knee.

I don't think Smith is worth what Kelly was worth FWIW but I don't think it's inexcusable to suggest he's worth at least one top ten pick.

I think smith has the potential to be as good but those comparisons are not similar levels at this point.

I also agree it would be a first and second bit think that's fair and most cats fans would say overs.

Kelly is definitely better statistically but it's not like he's leagues ahead.

The age factor has to be considered as well, but then so does the knee.

I don't think Smith is worth what Kelly was worth FWIW but I don't think it's inexcusable to suggest he's worth at least one top ten pick.
I think people forget just how good Tim Kelly was at the Cats, Bailey hasn't come close to that. West Coast collapsed the day he arrived and that has made him look worse since the trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back