Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong wont trade the future 1st with an ageing list no chance. They will offer #16 and future 2nd and if thr dogs drag it out they will trade the future 2nd elsewhere to lock the future 1st (exactly as they did with ollie henry).
16 and a future 2nd is totally reasonable given the circumstances.
I would actually try keep the future 2nd

Of course you’d try and keep it to just this years first. Most people would also agree me that’s well unders.
Trading for out of contract players in the afl is completely fecked. Needs to be addressed but that’s for another thread.
Nah sorry I meant in a trade off between current and future seconds not just minimisation of trade.

Of course you’d try and keep it to just this years first. Most people would also agree me that’s well unders.
Trading for out of contract players in the afl is completely fecked. Needs to be addressed but that’s for another thread.
Why does it need to be addressed?
Club's need to do more to keep players satisfied so they don't want to leave.

Trade equivalence.
Who is worth more Smith or Barrass? I know it's not that simple but do your best.
For me
Smith - Pick 9-13
Barrass - Pick 16-20
Age being the key factor.

Why does it need to be addressed?
Club's need to do more to keep players satisfied so they don't want to leave.

Because there’s no mandatory contract for players beyond 2-3 years but also no ability to trade players without their consent. It leaves a huge window in the prime of a player’s career where it’s completely down to luck (assets and ladder position of nominated team) whether a club can extract fair value for an uncontracted player in a trade. There are far better systems in other professional sports that don’t potentially kneecap a team if a player pulls the pin on them.

Trade equivalence.
Who is worth more Smith or Barrass? I know it's not that simple but do your best.
For me
Smith - Pick 9-13
Barrass - Pick 16-20
Age being the key factor.
Barrass is contracted till 2027....
Smith isn't contracted..
So You will pay more for Barrass

Why? Tell me know trade value is impacted? Player's worth is Player's worth.
Contract length and annual salary is whatever is negotiated between player and future club.

Because there’s no mandatory contract for players beyond 2-3 years but also no ability to trade players without their consent. It leaves a huge window in the prime of a player’s career where it’s completely down to luck (assets and ladder position of nominated team) whether a club can extract fair value for an uncontracted player in a trade. There are far better systems in other professional sports that don’t potentially kneecap a team if a player pulls the pin on them.

I agree but only the aflpa can be blamed for this.

Cats out 15, F1 & 36. In Smith, Oliver & 44
Dogs out Smith & 44 in 15, F2 (Dees), 36
Dees out Oliver and F2 in F1 (cats)
We're not giving up a first for Oliver in his current state with that contract.

Not even trying to play 'BigFooty list manager' here, but it just won't happen.

Would be unbelievably stupid from anyone's POV.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Smith

“His manager has told clubs that if you want to get in the room with him, we’d like a six-year deal for him. I’d assume the Cats have put forward a six-year deal already.”

Bailey Smith

“His manager has told clubs that if you want to get in the room with him, we’d like a six-year deal for him. I’d assume the Cats have put forward a six-year deal already.”
If the Cats have put a 6 year deal to him coming off an ACL, I would take it and run.

Last edited:
I just can’t see the Cats offering 6, they are notoriously stingy (and rightfully so), they only offer superstars and those that have earnt it that kinda deal.. maybe some posturing out of Bailey’s management to get a longer deal out of them

What exactly are these rumours I hear of ‘extra baggage’ with Bailey? I know one of his old coaches at Sandringham and he tells me he is absolutely obsessive with training to the nth degree, and described him as ‘cousins-esque’..?
His mental health struggles are very publicly documented, the kid is 100% an overtrainer and won’t leave any stone unturned, can never fault him for that.

Then theirs the other stuff, the White powder incident I’m lead to believe was a one off, but he does like to keep questionable company (Lachie Hunter was moved on from the Dogs for a few reason, but being a bad influence on the younger players was one of them).

Then theirs some subjective stuff like his lack of public support for the team this year, completely dodging training sessions, ditching school visit programs, zero support for the team on socials, all public facing shit, some Dogs fans feel pretty jaded at him, but it’s here nor there shit.

I did hear a few months ago that he cracked it at Dogs management earlier in the year when he was told he wouldn’t be played at all this year unless he signed a contract, understandable from both sides, Dogs want to protect a trade asset and Baz is a competitor and wants to play.

Six years sounds a bit overs for him coming off an ACL, he should take the five at Geelong and be happy with that. I wish him all the luck in the world, really liked Baz from the minute we drafted him.

Last edited:
Tom Morris on SEN this morning has said Bailey and his manager are happy to sit down with anyone willing to offer a six year deal.

So weird, assumed this was already done.
Wonder if it's another Hopper situation - we offer what we regard as a fair deal and it appears 'done', but another club(s) want to come over the top and gazump us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back