Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Connors is not happy with your contract offer, is how it reads.

It smells like an agent trying to get more money out of Geelong. Fair play to them, if they start a bidding war his price goes up.

Cats will hold firm and say, “We don’t pay Player X, Y and Z this much…what makes you think Bailey is worth more than them?”

If it happens it happens. If it doesn’t so be it.
Hopper offer shows Cats were right to hold firm on their stance. Cats M.O doesn’t change for one player.

No one person is bigger than the club. They’ll do what they can to get him within reason. Baz has a lot of links to Geelong and a lot of incentive to move eg. Cotton On, Deakin University, housing, opportunities to be a big star in a more high profile team, guaranteed long term deal.

It just depends what Baz wants.

It smells like an agent trying to get more money out of Geelong. Fair play to them, if they start a bidding war his price goes up.

Cats will hold firm and say, “We don’t pay Player X, Y and Z this much…what makes you think Bailey is worth more than them?”

Hopper offer shows Cats were right to hold firm on their stance. Cats M.O doesn’t change for one player.

No one person is bigger than the club. They’ll do what they can to get him within reason. Baz has a lot of links to Geelong and a lot of incentive to move eg. Cotton On, Deakin University, housing, opportunities to be a big star in a more high profile team, guaranteed long term deal.

Cats would be nuts to offer him 6 years. It’s been well over 2 years since his best football, there’s been issues, injuries and distractions. Those deals are reserved for proven players.

Tom Morris on SEN this morning has said Bailey and his manager are happy to sit down with anyone willing to offer a six year deal.

So weird, assumed this was already done.

He's a city boy. Was courted by two big clubs in the city and they've both pulled out.

He wants to go to a Melbourne club. Lets see if someone will come to the table.

wwe network kane GIF

BAH GAWD THAT'S NORTH MELBOURNE'S MUSIC.

Get that warchest out.

You saying both Hawthorn and Collingwood pulled out?

Not sure if we pulled out or if we just moved on to different targets. I can't see how we could make a deal for Smith now that we've committed to TB. We might be still in the hunt? One poster on our board seems to suggest we've still got an iron in that fire.

Collingwood is trying to rejuvenate it's midfield which is why they had a crack at Nash + Trac but pretty sure same boat as us they just can't find a way to get a deal done and have moved on.

Not sure if we pulled out or if we just moved on to different targets. I can't see how we could make a deal for Smith now that we've committed to TB. We might be still in the hunt? One poster on our board seems to suggest we've still got an iron in that fire.

Collingwood is trying to rejuvenate it's midfield which is why they had a crack at Nash + Trac but pretty sure same boat as us they just can't find a way to get a deal done and have moved on.
Hawks are still well and truly interested however barrras and battle need to be sorted out first. So if a deal was made it would be towards the end of trade week and dependant on what TB is gonna cost

I'm 100% right, 50% of the time

Thought this was 100% done and locked to Geelong. Hmmmmmmm.

Let’s take aside my connection to Baz. Why would a city boy and hawks supporter want to move to Geelong. Upend his life and move away from his friends and family.

Oh and the he bought an expensive house in Bellbrae. I’m about to call out the rubbish on that claim. Only 3 houses have sold on Real Estate.com this year in Bellbrae. 2 of them Baz would never live in, the 3rd which is roughly 3 hectares, in the middle of nowhere - I know for a fact Baz didn’t buy that property, the group chat of mine laughed when I showed them it … “how would he maintain the ******”
they said. You can’t lie to Celebrity 101 I have friends in all places.

The reason this came out today is Baz is telling the Melbourne clubs, come and get me, I’m staying in Melbourne. The signs are there, it’s obvious. Saints may make a play, but his twerking for Hawks, and they have promised they’ll try and get him in, no guarantee tho.

I play golf in high places. Never assume anything is a guarantee in life people, only the sun will rise and set.

Hope cats hold firm on their deal which is supposedly 5yrs @ 815k?

I think for a good outcome another team needs to come in.
Would Geelong look at Tunstill?
Something like Lions give 14 F4 & Tusntill for 33, 36, 44, 54
Dogs give smith, 33 & 44, get 14 & 16
Cats get Smith, Tunstill, & F4 give 16, 36, 54.

Dogs get what they want in 2 firsts. Lions get picks towards a bid on Levi. Cats get smith and tunstill to help their aging list.

Can i just remind everyone to consider the source is this mug.
He's right on about what? 10% of his claims?

He's about as reliable as our local BigFooty "Celebrity"

View attachment 2098931
H
Nah Morris is more reliable than a lot of journos because he has connections. His connections are the only thing keeping him in the media.

Nah Morris is more reliable than a lot of journos because he has connections. His connections are the only thing keeping him in the media.

Don't think Morris has ever been right on a Geelong related "scoop"
Mitch Cleary, Sam Edmund, Ryan Daniels (especially WA related stuff), Cal Twomey and Whiting (for Queensland reports)

Guys i would trust.

Morris, Ralph, Clark, McLure....anyone of that ilk are just throwing darts at a dartboard.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think Morris has ever been right on a Geelong related "scoop"
Mitch Cleary, Sam Edmund, Ryan Daniels (especially WA related stuff), Cal Twomey and Whiting for Queensland reports.

Guys i would trust.

Morris, Ralph, Clark, McLure....anyone of that ilk are just throwing darts at a dartboard.
I believe Morris is incorrect on Geelong's offer. Geelong aren't offering 6 years according to dogs itks or there would be no talk of 6 year offers.

I believe Morris is incorrect on Geelong's offer. Geelong aren't offering 6 years according to dogs itks or there would be no talk of 6 year offers.

The only players we've ever offered contracts like that are Dangerfield in his prime who won a Brownlow medal and Jezza who has a 5 year deal but a trigger for a 6th who is a top 10 player in the game when he's healthy.

I don't see Wells, Mackie, Scott or anyone else going, "Yeah but it's Bailey Smith"

There's a structure in place that is very clearly successful. You either fit in and sacrifice for the club or you don't.
I very much doubt they'd change their entire decision making and list structuring that's been in place for nearly 20 years over a guy that to be fair is a great player at his best, but is not on nor has he ever been on Dangerfield's or Jezza's level.

So between the lines here,

5 years is the existing offer.

Manager says, well, for anyone new to even enter the conversation, it starts at 6 years. Probably as a throw away comment.

Next Minute: Bailey asking for 6 years!!!

That about right?

I’m calling it…
Cats 2024 and 2025 1st for Smith and either 2024 or 2025 Dogs 2nd.
I agree PSD is not a likely outcome as Baz won’t want to play for a bottom 4 team. It’s either the right trade outcome for Dog’s, or dogs up their $value for 2 years post trade period. Absolutely no bridges have been burnt on either Dogs/Baz sides, a very real outcome.
He can try again in 12 months time.

I’m calling it…
I agree PSD is not a likely outcome as Baz won’t want to play for a bottom 4 team. It’s either the right trade outcome for Dog’s, or dogs up their $value for 2 years post trade period. Absolutely no bridges have been burnt on either Dogs/Baz sides, a very real outcome.

And we go around and around again.

He's OOC, Cats offer 1st this year (as Dogs don't have current 2024 First) and F2. Maybe something else as sweetener.
Can't see much future stuff going out as i'd imagine Cats will fall back down the ladder with harder schedule and a bunch of retirements incoming.

Do we really think Bailey is returning to the Dogs at this point? Even if it isn't Geelong where he is going.
It would be a massive twist if he just turned around and stayed...hilarious but unlikely.

Or Tom Morris is trying to extrapolate something he can get away with saying without it being an outright lie. Something like

"Tom Barrass to Hawthorn is a done deal but as I understand it if someone came over the top with a 10 year offer he'd consider going elsewhere"

No one specifically implicated so no one can just come out and deny.

Or Tom Morris is trying to extrapolate something he can get away with saying without it being an outright lie. Something like

"Tom Barrass to Hawthorn is a done deal but as I understand it if someone came over the top with a 10 year offer he'd consider going elsewhere"

No one specifically implicated so no one can just come out and deny.
Some of this stuff reminds me of when you're trying to hit 10,000 words on an essay.

They're just trying to fill space, and as you say, they're not technically wrong, but it's pointless information.

Like that Shark tank moment from a few years back: "My wife's father in law financed the operation" - You mean, your dad?

I’m calling it…
Hey free to give him 2 years

Cats fans trying their utmost hardest to cope here. Not saying Morris is right, but the fact that Smith was supposedly checking in with the Gold Coast in the last couple of weeks tells me something is up here- after we’ve been led to believe it’s was signed and sealed to Cats.
I can see a budding young man like Bailey not being too keen on living in Geelong when Melbourne is his oyster (off field)

Cats fans trying their utmost hardest to cope here. Not saying Morris is right, but the fact that Smith was supposedly checking in with the Gold Coast in the last couple of weeks tells me something is up here- after we’ve been led to believe it’s was signed and sealed to Cats.
I can see a budding young man like Bailey not being too keen on living in Geelong when Melbourne is his oyster (off field)
Our board is 50/50 at best on the proposition of getting Smith at all lmao.

It's got nothing to do with trying to 'cope', it's just a lack of credence in what Morris is saying. It's not the message, it's the guy delivering it.

For instance, If Cleary said it you wouldn't find a Cats supporter questioning it for a second.

Lol what cope? Cats fans are literally saying here, "If he comes he comes, if he doesn't then so be it"

Genuinely how is that cope? Morris I would trust about as far as i can throw him. Can not once remember him getting something Geelong related correct. Pretty sure he said Holmes was Saint Kilda bound and Cats would have to pay up to match. Cue Holmes signing for way under "perceived value" one day later.

As CatToTheFuture said above, "Tom Morris is trying to extrapolate something he can get away with saying without it being an outright lie."

Last edited:
I’m calling it…

Not sure Dogs agree to sending a pick back, but that’s probably the most fair and likely outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back