Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming he picks Hawthorn I’m guessing we’ll be seeing the exact same offer on the table?

Idk, to me it would seem hypocritical to suggest what other teams should give up and not back it up with your own team making the same offer. Right?
Why would it change? Not every club is the Gold Coast and bends over for Geelong.

They really just compared All Australian and Top 5 Brownlow Finish Tim Kelly to post ACL tear Bailey Smith who hasn’t played in 12 months….how many All Australian gigs? How many times has he gone close to winning the freaking Brownlow?

Laughable, there’s levels to this.
100%.

Obviously we have no say, but mentioned earlier in the thread that if it was me doing the deal I'd be more than happy to give this year's first and next year's first to get 2019 Tim Kelly into our side.

Can't say the same for Smith. He's a very talented footballer, but that's all he is right now, accompanied with an ACL and some unfortunate off-field issues.

Obviously neither of those things are his fault, but it does change the scenario here.

To go really big in these deals you actually need some tangible runs on the board for mine.

Due respect but I think people seriously forget how good Tim Kelly was at Geelong. Pointless comparison

Youre completely underselling Smith as well. He was amazing in 2021, good in 2022 and good until mid 2023 when he headbutted that flog Tuoy.
Of course we wouldn't be interested if Smith wasn't good, but u don't think 2019 Tim Kelly is a remotely close comparison. If you were selling is 2019 TK I wouldn't question it

I know why you're questioning it... and it's bullshit.

I'm sure you'd like to tell the good people here

In which year did Bailey Smith make the AA team and finish top 5 in the Brownlow?

If your team values Bailey Smith so highly, why have you only offered him a two year deal?

In which year did Bailey Smith make the AA team and finish top 5 in the Brownlow?

If your team values Bailey Smith so highly, why have you only offered him a two year deal?
1. All Australian selection is a farce. Every year players miss out who should be in and others dubiously get in. It's not a great yardstick;

2. Your club values him highly enough to make him one of your highest paid players over the next 5 or 6 years.

You can't offer huge contracts then offer dogshit

I think the strong interest in Smith, along with a few other decisions we've made recently (and ones that I'm certainly comfortable with at this point) have created an area of attention (certainly not panic stations at this stage) for Geelong 2-3 years from now.

It's been mentioned a bit over recent years that our list has been a bit lopsided with a lot of over 30s still playing key roles and a lot of encouraging early signs from our 2019-23 draftees, but not a lot in the usual prime 24-28 age group. As the years go on and the younger players approach mid-career age, the challenge will be to continue to bring in <21 talent to keep the senior side ticking along. And - at this stage - trading for Bruhn and Henry, targeting mature agers and unconventional backgrounds in last year's anticipated shallow draft and now probably trading out of at least two of the first two rounds of the 2024/25 drafts if we trade for Smith leaves us in the position of not having much proven talent born after 2003 at this stage.

From what I can see on the list the 2004 and later birthday group includes Jhye Clark, Mitch Edwards, Connor O'Sullivan, George Stevens, Ted Clohesy, Phoenix Foster and Oscar Murdoch. They've played 20 AFL games combined, take Clark out and it becomes 4 games. Again, not the end of the world, but something that we do need to be pretty careful about, to make sure we're still bringing in future talent, even in this draft from limited opportunities.

EDIT: Removed Ollie Wiltshire (born in 2002) from the list of 2004 and younger players on our list currently.

Last edited:
1. All Australian selection is a farce. Every year players miss out who should be in and others dubiously get in. It's not a great yardstick;

Top 5 Brownlow, runner-up best and fairest in both his years at Geelong. Unquestionably one of the elite midfielders in the league at the time. I'd be amazed if you could find anyone outside one-eyed Bulldogs supporters who thinks 2024 Bailey Smith and 2019 Tim Kelly is a reasonable comparison.

2. Your club values him highly enough to make him one of your highest paid players over the next 5 or 6 years.

You can't offer huge contracts then offer dogshit

Okay, so let's say the deal doesn't go through. Smith goes somewhere else for nothing. Who's the big loser in that scenario? It's not Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 5 Brownlow, runner-up best and fairest in both his years at Geelong. Unquestionably one of the elite midfielders in the league at the time. I'd be amazed if you could find anyone outside one-eyed Bulldogs supporters who thinks 2024 Bailey Smith and 2019 Tim Kelly is a reasonable comparison.

Okay, so let's say the deal doesn't go through. Smith goes somewhere else for nothing. Who's the big loser in that scenario? It's not Geelong.
If the deal doesn't go through he might even stay. He may think that's a far better option than one of the cellar dwellers. Noone knows but I'm sure someone here will pretend they do.

Dogs supporters were not even the ones bringing up Kelly so don't get your knickers in a knot

If the deal doesn't go through he might even stay. He may think that's a far better option than one of the cellar dwellers. Noone knows but I'm sure someone here will pretend they do.

And that's fine. If that happens, best wishes to him and the Dogs. I'm just saying I'd much rather walk away from the deal altogether, rather than give up a package of this year's first and next year's first, plus this year or next year's second. I don't want to trade our 2025 first round pick (certainly not as a throw-in/sweetener), because I think it has the potential to be our earliest pick that I can remember.

That would be a disaster for our club with the current list profile: it would basically be trading out of the next two drafts and saying that the current list, plus Smith and with 1-2 more years of Dangerfield and 2-3 more years of Stewart and Cameron and every other over 30 player removed, is all we need to be competitive through to the end of the decade. Which would be a pretty wild overestimation of our <25 talent and depth as it stands, in my humble opinion.

And that's fine. If that happens, best wishes to him and the Dogs. I'm just saying I'd much rather walk away from the deal altogether, rather than give up a package of this year's first and next year's first, plus this year or next year's second. I don't want to trade our 2025 first round pick (certainly not as a throw-in/sweetener), because I think it has the potential to be our earliest pick that I can remember.

That would be a disaster for our club with the current list profile: it would basically be trading out of the next two drafts and saying that the current list, plus Smith and with 1-2 more years of Dangerfield and 2-3 more years of Stewart and Cameron and every other over 30 player removed, is all we need to be competitive through to the end of the decade. Which would be a pretty wild overestimation of our <25 talent and depth as it stands, in my humble opinion.
Geelong don't even have that many over 30s playing now that won't be there for a while.

It's funny how Geelong supporters have been snitty about opposition supporters saying they might drop off for years and now suddenly when they're a good chance to play in another grand final they're going to drop off and miss the finals next year 🤪

Or you could just call a spade a spade and admit you just don't want to pay fair market value for a player but expect first rounders for spuds like Ratagolea

Geelong don't even have that many over 30s playing now that won't be there for a while.

It's funny how Geelong supporters have been snitty about opposition supporters saying they might drop off for years and now suddenly when they're a good chance to play in another grand final they're going to drop off and miss the finals next year 🤪

Or you could just call a spade a spade and admit you just don't want to pay fair market value for a player but expect first rounders for spuds like Ratagolea
This here is kinda true. They’ve expected heaps for shit trucks and then don’t want to pay for talent. Bailey has injury issues and off field also, but if he’s being offered 5-6 years on good coin then he’s obviously worth a bit. I wouldn’t mind seeing clubs holding the Cats to a higher asking price anyway- 20 years of non stop being up the top they deserve to be clipped a little

I think the strong interest in Smith, along with a few other decisions we've made recently (and ones that I'm certainly comfortable with at this point) have created an area of attention (certainly not panic stations at this stage) for Geelong 2-3 years from now.

It's been mentioned a bit over recent years that our list has been a bit lopsided with a lot of over 30s still playing key roles and a lot of encouraging early signs from our 2019-23 draftees, but not a lot in the usual prime 24-28 age group. As the years go on and the younger players approach mid-career age, the challenge will be to continue to bring in <21 talent to keep the senior side ticking along. And - at this stage - trading for Bruhn and Henry, targeting mature agers and unconventional backgrounds in last year's anticipated shallow draft and now probably trading out of at least two of the first two rounds of the 2024/25 drafts if we trade for Smith leaves us in the position of not having much proven talent born after 2003 at this stage.

From what I can see on the list the 2004 and later birthday group includes Jhye Clark, Mitch Edwards, Connor O'Sullivan, George Stevens, Ted Clohesy, Ollie Witshire, Phoenix Foster and Oscar Murdoch. They've played 20 AFL games combined, take Clark out and it becomes 4 games. Again, not the end of the world, but something that we do need to be pretty careful about, to make sure we're still bringing in future talent, even in this draft from limited opportunities.

Geelong are very good at finding talent late in draft and from other sources. No reason why that should change.
Some Cat fans seem pessimistic about the future, hence the reluctance to trade a future first I think you'll be fine.
Some of the players you mentioned have shown enough. Plus Mannagh, Knevitt and Conway look like being very good players.

People forget that first rounders have different values. Yes Baz isn’t worth two top tens at the moment, but two picks 16-18 is daylight robbery.

Tim Kelly was worth more and rightfully so, nobody will argue that. But he cost WCE way more than what Dogs will ask for Smith so I don’t see how it’s comparable.

There are many more examples of clubs giving up more than two 16-18 picks for footballers nowhere near Baz’s level, Taranto, Cerra and Shiel come to mind.

Sounds like you're accusing me of hypocrisy. It doesn't really work to attribute the opinions of someone I don't even know to me because we support the same football club.

You can go back over my posting history if you like. My predictions and hopes for what we get done during this player movement period have been pretty consistent (going back to before this season started), with 2025/26 shaping up as rebuild years.

I'm not especially interested in importing a plug and play first ruck (even if there were one out there) even though we're looking thin there. I'm not particularly keen on bringing in Jackson Macrae. Even if things progressed and we had any realistic shot at getting him, I wouldn't be interested in Christian Petracca. Simply because I don't think we're a premiership chance next year: whatever happens this year, I think it's the last dance for Dangerfield, Blicavs, Duncan (and even though he probably won't play, C.Guthrie) certainly, as far as competing for a flag.

Once again, if I were in charge, I'd much rather do nothing than pay a top 20 pick this year and a likely top ten pick next year (with one or two seconds thrown in) for Bailey Smith. I'd much rather walk away than overpay for him. Port Adelaide were more than within their rights to do the same for Ratugolea.

Last edited:
Geelong are very good at finding talent late in draft and from other sources. No reason why that should change.
Some Cat fans seem pessimistic about the future, hence the reluctance to trade a future first I think you'll be fine.
Some of the players you mentioned have shown enough. Plus Mannagh, Knevitt and Conway look like being very good players.

I think we'll be fine too. But that doesn't mean we'll continue to buck the trend indefinitely and make finals year after year. There's a trough coming and I think it will be 2025/26 and we hopefully climb again from there (though of course there are no guarantees). And so, I think 2025/26 are crucial draft years for us if we bring Smith in, we probably need five long-term senior players from those drafts. So I'm not very keen on us going ahead with paying whatever it takes for Smith, then winning 8-10 games next year, followed by another 4-5 retirements and - whoopsie - no pick 7-8 because we threw it in to get the Baz trade over the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back