Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

The second F1 was meant to be a F2.

The Dunkley deal was horrible for the Dogs. It essentially ended up being pick 21 & 23 for our best and fairest winner with 8 years of elite football left.

On the other hand, Dunkley hasn’t been as good for the Lions as he was his last year with us. Same midfield output with none of the contribution forward. If you look at what the Lions have got rather than what we lost based on that lone season, the trade would have been fine with a mid teens pick plus 23.

I suspect something similar will play out with Smith. We might get slight unders at worst. His disposal was pretty bad with us and that was in a mostly outside, uncontested ball role. I could see his hack kicking out of stoppages and miskicks at speed getting worse when he’s on the inside of the contest and under pressure more often. Particularly if he has slightly less burst thanks to the knee. I think that’ll offset the uptick in his contested output from being a full time onballer.

On the other hand, Dunkley hasn’t been as good for the Lions as he was his last year with us. Same midfield output with none of the contribution forward. If you look at what the Lions have got rather than what we lost based on that lone season, the trade would have been fine with a mid teens pick plus 23.

I suspect something similar will play out with Smith. We might get slight unders at worst. His disposal was pretty bad with us and that was in a mostly outside, uncontested ball role. I could see his hack kicking out of stoppages and miskicks at speed getting worse when he’s on the inside of the contest and under pressure more often. Particularly if he has slightly less burst thanks to the knee. I think that’ll offset the uptick in his contested output from being a full time onballer.
Exactly what Dangerfield was in his time at Adelaide I think. Very similar players so that said Danger mentoring him would be the best thing for Baily Smith to his future.

Dogs fans fear another Dunkley situation especially with how the media keeps lowballing what he is worth. ACL's are a tricky injury but from all reports he's back to full health, was back to regular training and would have been available to play last week.

For information Dunkley went for 17, 21, 35, 73 for Dunkley Dogs 3rd and Melbourne 3rd. That's before compo picks.

The goal kicking has definitely dropped off, he's still pretty much solid in all other areas, although his defensive shutdown roles have been massively overblown. That being said he's a bargain at $700k-$750k.

whilst Richmond obviously would take him in the PSD for free, nobody else other than Geelong wants him. His preferred destination 6 months ago said thanks but no thanks, so that leaves the Cats in a very strong position.
despite all the bluster, he will go for their first round pick, and nothing else.

Bailey Smith being the same type as Dangerfield is a bit of a stretch. Smith is quick...ish, Dangerfield was explosive.
Smith is kind of strong, Dangerfield was a bull even from a young age

whilst Richmond obviously would take him in the PSD for free, nobody else other than Geelong wants him. His preferred destination 6 months ago said thanks but no thanks, so that leaves the Cats in a very strong position.
despite all the bluster, he will go for their first round pick, and nothing else.
I mean, the cats could take pick 1 off the table and just offer 2nd rounder. Take our first to the draft. WB can take it or leave it.

Hang on what
You saying Hawks rejected him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, the cats could take pick 1 off the table and just offer 2nd rounder. Take our first to the draft. WB can take it or leave it.
I hope WB would leave it. All the way to PSD. Surely WB can live without pick 20+.

Smith is top 10 pick for me. How about Cats R1 + F1. Cats can take it or leave it.

There first this year will be in the 20s hence why this years "1st" + next years is what it should be still unders as they'll be highly unlikely to drop significantly

You mean like how in 2022 we were clear top of the ladder and 2023 we had our lowest finish ever?

Drop off can definitely happen, Pies proved that this year.
Success isn't linear.

Smith is more comparable to Walsh I think

Bit of a jack of all trades player
Smith, Walsh and Daicos are their own category of player

Running in and out of traffic, creative kicking, great agility, great vision

Daicos clearly the best of the three, but Walsh and Smith are certainly very good too

Really do think Smith will have big impact wherever he goes and as such the Dogs will probably get rewarded well

Could see a world however where Geelong pay unders and he wins a Brownlow lol

Haha I hope the Bulldogs recruiting team don't share the same opinion!
I tend to agree with the poster you’re responding to.

Why get bent over by a team that is in the same bracket as you and potentially a Premiership rival next season ?

Geelong will need to give up either this years 1st or next years 1st plus most likely another late pick if they want Smith, otherwise teams like Hawthorn & Collingwood may pounce with a better deal and by reports Bailey might not care who he plays for out of those 3.

I tend to agree with the poster you’re responding to.

Why get bent over by a team that is in the same bracket as you and potentially a Premiership rival next season ?

Geelong will need to give up either this years 1st or next years 1st plus most likely another late pick if they want Smith, otherwise teams like Hawthorn & Collingwood may pounce with a better deal and by reports Bailey might not care who he plays for out of those 3.
There hasn't been reports of that.

Whether Morris, Ralph, & Cleary are actually right is another matter entirely, but the "reports" are he's requested a trade to Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back