Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying not be bias, I know that’ll get groans being a Cat support

Cons

ACL / injury time away from the game

OOC

Off field issue, might be random incident

Mental issues (I know that shouldn’t be a factor but it didn’t work out for the cats with Stevens. Not trying to be disrespectful in any way towards anyone with health issue but it will be part taken into consideration I would imagine )

Apparently contract offer isn’t huge (in the media, I’m sure everyone has read the article or some info on it), in form of asking price due to contract price

Pros

Gun when fully going
Hasn’t stated a side yet

Alleged contract size, by report most clubs could afford it
Onus is on the club chasing the player to make a fair offer

Arguments on trade value

At peak, 2 1st

At worst, 1 1st

Expected outcome from a Geelong perspective imo is 1 1st & fringe player or future 2nd

Until Geelong is nominated, it could be a few teams that come at him hard - no one knows the future

I don’t think people understand that Geelong’s first is terrible.

If cats offered their first and a second like you say, they’d be laughed all the way back to Geelong.

I don’t think people understand you’ll get what you’ll get regardless of what people say or think here

Hence it’s a discussion on bigfooty. Can only go by what’s reported, and what’s reported is Dogs are expecting a high end pick. Unless cats can make some trades to secure a top 10 pick, their f1 will be involved.

It’s not impossible that they trade out someone of value to get what the dogs are asking for if they want to keep their f1 that badly.

I don't know why Cats fans are even hesitant on paying the two (very late) firsts. If there's any club that can bet a future 1st comfortably, it's the Cats who basically make a prelim every year. ACLs don't seem as career threatening as they used to, particularly when done youngish.

At least this one will keep trade radio busy for the full two weeks.

Because, this time last week, most people had us earmarked for a straight sets semi final belting by whoever emerged from the Bulldogs and Hawthorn. People certainly weren't expecting us to book a home preliminary final, let alone for us to be back in the same position next year.

And - speaking for myself - I'm the same. I don't think I've ever gone into a Geelong qualifying final with lower expectations. We've capitalised on a bizarrely even season and now have the fortune of being likely to play the remainder of our 2024 finals campaign (however long that is) in our home state against a non-Victorian opponent. I think we'll drop next year unless we have a very fortunate run with injuries, because with the expected outs from our list in the offseason, we'll practically have zero recognised depth in several key areas.

I expect Bailey Smith will be a very good player for Geelong. I'm not saying that he isn't worth a sizable haul in a trade; I'm saying that:

a) I'm not sure that giving away two first rounders and potentially another decent pick is the best thing for us with the current composition of our list - we'll probably bat down to about 27 on our list heading into the preseason, as far as players with meaningful AFL experience is concerned. And;

b) I think the 2025 first rounder will be a single digit pick. And I bet that lots of people in this thread would have predicted the same a week ago.

The deal will get done, of course. Who knows what will end up changing hands? But my advice to Geelong would be to tread carefully. Because for an older team, if they make a deal like this and it turns out they've drastically overestimated how their list will develop, it's the sort of thing that can cripple a club for years.

Because, this time last week, most people had us earmarked for a straight sets semi final belting by whoever emerged from the Bulldogs and Hawthorn. People certainly weren't expecting us to book a home preliminary final, let alone for us to be back in the same position next year.

And - speaking for myself - I'm the same. I don't think I've ever gone into a Geelong qualifying final with lower expectations. I think we'll drop next year unless we have a very fortunate run with injuries, because with the expected outs from our list in the offseason, we'll practically have zero recognised depth in several key areas.

I expect Bailey Smith will be a very good player for Geelong. I'm not saying that he isn't worth a sizable haul in a trade; I'm saying that:

a) I'm not sure that giving away two first rounders and potentially another decent pick is the best thing for us with the current composition of our list - we'll probably bat down to about 27 on our list heading into the preseason, as far as players with meaningful AFL experience is concerned. And;

b) I think the 2025 first rounder will be a single digit pick. And I bet that lots of people in this thread would have predicted the same a week ago.

The deal will get done, of course. Who knows what will end up changing hands? But my advice to Geelong would be to tread carefully. Because for an older team, if they make a deal like this and it turns out they've drastically overestimated how their list will develop, it's the sort of thing that can cripple a club for years.
You lose the benefit of the doubt now sorry. Successful all the time, making prelims without trying, turning everyone into stars. You're trading for an under 25 year old now, I suppose you extorted Pies as well (on Henry) but if you end missing finals next year it's not crippling you, nothing does.

Two firsts with a 2nd back should be a remotely fair trade considering Geelong's history of success

Hence it’s a discussion on bigfooty. Can only go by what’s reported, and what’s reported is Dogs are expecting a high end pick. Unless cats can make some trades to secure a top 10 pick, their f1 will be involved.

It’s not impossible that they trade out someone of value to get what the dogs are asking for if they want to keep their f1 that badly.
Yes but it’s early game, have the feeling a top 10 pick from any teams shouldn’t be a realistic option.

You are correct, Geelong can move assets around to come up with a pick between 10 & our current pick (which might just be a 1st &/or future 2nd/fringe player to move up some picks)

I suspect Dogs have someone in mind in the top 12.

I think they have asked Cats to find a way to get them a pick in that range, and put the ball in their court. Trades are never as simple as they seem.

Suns have an academy kid around that range. They have Dogs first which is pick 12 I think (Sanders trade). It may be in their interest to get rid of that pick.

This could realistically be a three way trade.

Cats give their first + third + future second.

Cats receive Bailey Smith.

Dogs give Bailey smith.

Dogs receive pick 12.

Suns give pick 12.

Suns received Cats first + third + future second.

Thoughts?

And - speaking for myself - I'm the same. I don't think I've ever gone into a Geelong qualifying final with lower expectations. We've capitalised on a bizarrely even season and now have the fortune of being likely to play the remainder of our 2024 finals campaign (however long that is) in our home state against a non-Victorian opponent. I think we'll drop next year unless we have a very fortunate run with injuries, because with the expected outs from our list in the offseason, we'll practically have zero recognised depth in several key areas.

One comfort is that we're on record as needing board approval for first round trades or 5 year contracts. So if this is where we're at then presumably Mackie, Wells etc will have to convince the board first.

Last edited:
I suspect Dogs have someone in mind in the top 12.

I think they have asked Cats to find a way to get them a pick in that range, and put the ball in their court. Trades are never as simple as they seem.

Suns have an academy kid around that range. They have Dogs first which is pick 12 I think (Sanders trade). It may be in their interest to get rid of that pick.

This could realistically be a three way trade.

Cats give their first + third + future second.

Cats receive Bailey Smith.

Dogs give Bailey smith.

Dogs receive pick 12.

Suns give pick 12.

Suns received Cats first + third + future second.

Thoughts?
Seems a good framework

What did Adam Treloar get traded for?

Treloar was traded from Collingwood to the Western Bulldogs on 12 November, in the final minute of trade period. Collingwood received pick 14 and a future 2nd round pick, while the Bulldogs received Treloar and picks 26, 33 and 42.

You win some you lose some.

Bazlenka for a future 2nd looks about right using the Adam Treloar currency conversion.

Treloar was traded from Collingwood to the Western Bulldogs on 12 November, in the final minute of trade period. Collingwood received pick 14 and a future 2nd round pick, while the Bulldogs received Treloar and picks 26, 33 and 42.

Bazlenka for a future 2nd looks about right using the Adam Treloar currency conversion.
You got Bowes and pick 7 for nothing 5 top 5 picks for Baz then you win some you lose some using that logic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think current First and future 2nd works despite "neutrals" and Dogs fans claiming it's not. I'd even throw in our current Third to help it get rolling.

You got Bowes and pick 7 for nothing 5 top 5 picks for Baz then you win some you lose some using that logic

We lost Jnr for pick 19.

----

We're winning the bazleka trade.

Doggies will get there lick of the ice cream from another deal. Bend the saints over for Jack Macrae.

The melty sour grape combo in this thread is palpable.

the second and third are just garbage tier picks this year and dont add much. I'd just ask Geelong to do the work and trade it up themselves. Gold Coast have been falling over themselves to do favours for Geelong at the trade table, time to call in another one

Lets just look at the history. The cats always get there man for 50 cents in the dollar. Theres nothing y'all can do about it.

... and the beat goes on

He was in contract and the pies couldn't literally pay his salary and stay under the cap. The dogs took advantage and they needed picks for an academy player (Ugle-Hagan if I remember correctly).
It's totally different to the Smith situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back