Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Then they'll probably leave it and let Smith play for Richmond.

That'll do wonders for future players requesting a trade to Geelong, knowing that Geelong will try to lowball and they'll end up playing elsewhere
Harley knows we won’t lowball, that’s why we need to keep our F1 this year to start the war chest.

Then they'll probably leave it and let Smith play for Richmond.

That'll do wonders for future players requesting a trade to Geelong, knowing that Geelong will try to lowball and they'll end up playing elsewhere

He hasn't requested a trade to Geelong. The reason for that IMO would be that we have been upfront with him. We are keen but we are not going to mortgage the future to get him. If the dogs want more than we are prepared to give, we will walk away instead of doing a Tim Kelly style deal.

He hasn't requested a trade to Geelong. The reason for that IMO would be that we have been upfront with him. We are keen but we are not going to mortgage the future to get him. If the dogs want more than we are prepared to give, we will walk away instead of doing a Tim Kelly style deal.
Well if he hasn't requested a direct trade then fair enough.

agree with all of this but it's still fun to argue on the internet sometimes.
I dont see a tonne of risk for Geelong though to be honest. They have the ability to attract talent, even if they somehow end up having a shocker in 25 and overpay they're one fo the best equipped clubs to bounce back. Mostly through their ability to retain players and attract new targets and free agents.

I think this is probably the part some Cats fans maybe dont get or possibly can't empathise with, and thats that the Dogs have much more to lose in this deal than Geelong by not getting paid properly. We dont have that ability to just raid free agency next year for some big ticket players or lineup the next big interstate go-homer ina couple of years. We rely on the draft, and the club owes it to itself to make sure Geelong pay what they see as being at least moderately fair. They'll threaten the chaos option and are crazy enough to follow through on it

No, I can appreciate that position. And I also think that some of proposed offers here for Smith probably are pretty close to the mark. I'm just not sure it's a great idea for Geelong.

Assuming we're not big players in the 2024 and 2025 drafts and assuming retirements/delistings of Duncan, Blicavs, Guthrie, Stanley, Bews, Rohan and Parfitt, our round 1 2026 side (with potentially nothing of note in the wings from this year's draft and next) would be something like:

B: Stewart (33), J.Henry (28), O'Connor (29)
HB: Humphries (23), de Koning (25), Z.Guthrie (28)
C:: Dempsey (23), Bruhn (24), Bowes (28)
HF: Dangerfield (36), Cameron (33), Close (28)
F: Stengle (27), Neale (24), O.Henry (24)
R: Conway (23), Holmes (24), Smith (25)
I/C-sub: Mannagh (29), Atkins (30), Clark (22), O'Sullivan (21), Mullin (26)

A few red flags with Stewart, Cameron and Dangerfield on their last legs, practically no-one else outside the players mentioned who currently have any AFL experience (Knevitt and Clohesy the only ones who come to mind) and it's a bit problematic to say "Well 2026 is a long way away, I'm sure your depth will look a lot better then" because - once again - people are advocating for us to trade out of the first half of the next two drafts. So I don't really see where it will come from.

EDIT: Change to the 2026 team, O'Connor to BP, Mullin to bench, Knevitt out.

Last edited:
You reckon any player manager will recommend a trade to a club that consistently fails to get a trade done?

Nope.
The ironic thing is Geelong are well known for getting deals done unlike many other clubs, they will do what they can to get their guy.

Player managers like dealing with the Cats as they know there’s a strong likelihood their player whether moving in or moving out will get to where they need to be.

Was mentioned in Making Their Mark doco when talking about the Bowes deal.

How’s Geelongs salary cap situation ? Or is Nigel Austin taking care of that ?

When the only top 80 paid player from your team is Jezza and the next highest is Stewart at 81, that’s good cap management? They don’t overpay anyone (no one on deals longer than 5 years) and the only players who get that many years are superstars. Its been reported that Smith is only getting 4 years not 5 or 6 that was previously floated on much more manageable money than what initial reports made out.

They’ve had the cap structure in place since the Bartel, Chapman, Ling, Mooney days where players decided to keep a dynasty team together by taking less so they could keep the group on the same page as long as possible. If someone comes over the top and offers ridiculous money, Cats will let them go eg. Ablett and Suns in 2011 offseason.

How’s Geelongs salary cap situation ? Or is Nigel Austin taking care of that ?
Fair to say we manage it 1000% better than a Collingwood for example. No wastage on Grundy/Treloar types. Probably have 2 premiership defenders on a similar amount to one DMoore. Our veterans are all on unders and our kids don't get given ridiculous long term deals. Just re-signed Holmes and Stengle when highest bidders may have paid the best part of $1m between them a year to pry them away. That pays for Smith. We walk away from deals if they don’t stack up re Hopper(thank f#*k) Not rocket science, just a well run club.

Fair to say we manage it 1000% better than a Collingwood for example. No wastage on Grundy/Treloar types. Probably have 2 premiership defenders on a similar amount to one DMoore. Our veterans are all on unders and our kids don't get given ridiculous long term deals. Just re-signed Holmes and Stengle when highest bidders may have paid the best part of $1m between them a year to pry them away. That pays for Smith. We walk away from deals if they don’t stack up re Hopper(thank f#*k) Not rocket science, just a well run club.
I have no doubt Geelong is a well run club.

It just gets a little help I feel (quietly) 🤫🤫from one of the countries richest men. 😉😉

Out of all the 3rd party deals, the cotton on one is nearly the most legit in regards to the company getting value for what they're paying

They've been plastering him on billboards for years, having him involved in designing clothing lines etc. I don't see an issue with it if it stays at the same rate. It's not Judd doing 3 speeches about cardboard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal via gettable thinks the Smith trade is a genuine possibility to end up at the PSD.

Richmond are licking their lips.

Dogs are adamant on a high end pick and won’t accept anything else.
Right now they are. But with Macrae also seemingly wanting out, on a big contract apparently, and the Saints and Cats interested, I could see Geelong relieving the Bulldogs of Macrae's big contract in return for something a little less on the Smith deal. They'll need cap space for Darcy, Ugle-Hagan, any targets they might be considering and a few others, I'm sure.

Similar to Geelong helping Gold Coast.

Right now they are. But with Macrae also seemingly wanting out, on a big contract apparently, and the Saints and Cats interested, I could see Geelong relieving the Bulldogs of Macrae's big contract in return for something a little less on the Smith deal. They'll need cap space for Darcy, Ugle-Hagan, any targets they might be considering and a few others, I'm sure.

Funny enough, they also mentioned Dogs aren’t worried about Macrae’s contract and will only accept a pick that benefits the club.

The ironic thing is Geelong are well known for getting deals done unlike many other clubs, they will do what they can to get their guy.

Player managers like dealing with the Cats as they know there’s a strong likelihood their player whether moving in or moving out will get to where they need to be.

Was mentioned in Making Their Mark doco when talking about the Bowes deal.
Under the old list management regime, definitely yes.
Under the new regime - less certain.

Yeah nah 🤣🤣🤣

We can afford Macraes contract.

Cal via gettable thinks the Smith trade is a genuine possibility to end up at the PSD.

Richmond are licking their lips.

Dogs are adamant on a high end pick and won’t accept anything else.

I know you're just passing the info along, so not a shot at you, but this rumour-mill and trash-talk of the highest order.

We have a 9-day trade period that doesn't start until the 9th of October (i.e. almost a month away), and media are already screaming "oh noes, he may go to the PSD!!!!!!1111" (and probably rubbing their hands with glee as to how they can dramatise the s**t out of this).

Sure, it's great theatre and gives everyone here the chance to blow this thread to page 500 before a deal is struck, but I'd be very surprised if the two clubs aren't privately discussing this firmly but respectfully.

Fair. I can’t see us getting more than a second round pick for Macrae. He won’t be worth nearly as much as Baz.
I think the picks cost will depend on how much contract St Kilda pays. I'd imagine the deal gets done with less fuss than others as he's effectively an in contract fringe player.

I don't know why Cats fans are even hesitant on paying the two (very late) firsts. If there's any club that can bet a future 1st comfortably, it's the Cats who basically make a prelim every year. ACLs don't seem as career threatening as they used to, particularly when done youngish.

At least this one will keep trade radio busy for the full two weeks.
There might be some other players that they have their eye on for future years that will need those picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back