Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

No malice at all but Has Bailey Smith even nominated Geelong? Lots of cats fans talking like it’s a foregone conclusion and it’s a take it or leave it situation for the dogs but last official reports were multiple clubs interested?
No. Still a chance he goes Hawthorn.

It's pretty fun watching opposition have a minor melt down at the idea we might be getting a Devon Smith type trade in

No malice at all but Has Bailey Smith even nominated Geelong? Lots of cats fans talking like it’s a foregone conclusion and it’s a take it or leave it situation for the dogs but last official reports were multiple clubs interested?

It’s no guarantee but a lot of the signs are there.
Hawks are already deep into Barrass and Battle, that would cost them multiple picks to pry a contracted Barrass away from the Eagles. The assumption being that Hawks have put Baz chase on the back burner whereas Cats have made it priority number 1.
Also helps when Scotty is going on AFL360 saying he knows nothing about it while smirking and basically winking at the camera.

Basically a combination of Mitch Cleary, Sam Edmund, Tom Morris, Jon Ralph and Cal Twomey have all said he’s heading to Geelong, which I don’t trust most of those guys but Cleary has an in with the Cats, he’s very trustworthy.

Then on top of all of it, our Captain is posting stuff like this….

He certainly isn’t talking about the England cricket team 😉

IMG_1212.jpeg

It’s no guarantee but a lot of the signs are there.
Hawks are already deep into Barrass and Battle, that would cost them multiple picks to pry a contracted Barrass away from the Eagles. The assumption being that Hawks have put Baz chase on the back burner whereas Cats have made it priority number 1.
Also helps when Scotty is going on AFL360 saying he knows nothing about it while smirking and basically winking at the camera and our Captain is posting stuff like this….

He certainly isn’t talking about the England cricket team 😉

View attachment 2108224
Correct. Our midfield is sorted, we need key backs.

If Geelong could guarantee a top four spot next year a lot of Cats fans griping about two firsts would be fine with giving those picks up while a bunch of Dogs fans would be wanting even more. If it's Smith and 35 for 20 and 18 then sign me up, if it's Smith and 40 for 20 and 5 then that tips the scales the other way. It's impossible to know what's 'fair' when future picks are involved.

Remember, we'd have given up a top ten pick for Ollie Henry two years ago if we just gave the Pies our future pick that everyone was very sure was going to be a late first rounder, and Pies fans are currently stewing that they didn't do what we did when they traded for Schultz last year. This is why Cats fans in this thread are very hesitant about trading a future first. I think Smith would fill a pretty big need for us so I'm not opposed to two firsts but I can get why others are.

So just to be clear on this. Your proposing to lose smith for nothing instead of accepting a first round pick this year?

Must be nice to afford not getting a first rounder.
Where do you draw the line? What if the Cats traded that pick away and they said 'here's pick 40, take it or lose him for nothing'?

The Cats pick is looking like it's going to land in the 20's at this point. Calling it a first rounder is incredibly disingenuous. All first rounders aren't equal and you know that.

Two picks in the first round when they are later than pick #15 isn't off the mark for a near 24 year old former top ten pick with over 100 games experience and exposed the form justifying his draft selection. He'd be borderline untradeable if he were under contract.

F1 & 2024 2nd is still the deal that lands in the middle of what both sides want. Cats only want to give up the 2024 first and the Dogs want both firsts.

Or? Like we’ve been saying here over and over and over 2024 1st and 2025 2nd, that is in the middle.

There’s no reason to give up the future first when the Dogs don’t have a pick in this Draft….unless? You want Cats to give up Future First in hopes of trying to death ride Geelong so Doggies get a better pick next year?

We aren’t stupid, we keep getting told here that Cats Future First would be similar to this year….but apparently this year’s first isn’t good enough? So why do Doggies fans keep asking for the future first then? Do you see the contradicting statements? 😂

Or? Like we’ve been saying here over and over and over 2024 1st and 2025 2nd, that is in the middle.

There’s no reason to give up the future first when the Dogs don’t have a pick in this Draft….unless? You want Cats to give up Future First in hopes of trying to death ride Geelong so Doggies get a better pick next year?

We aren’t stupid, we keep getting told here that Cats Future First would be similar to this year….but apparently this year’s first isn’t good enough? So why do Doggies fans keep asking for the future first then? Do you see the contradicting statements? 😂
That's clearly not in the middle. Let's say Geelong finish 8th next year (somewhat middle ground). Geelong's picks 20 + 40 (after blowing out) is not equal to say pick 12 in 2025 + 40 this year.

I'm not saying Geelong's future first will be similar to last year. There's a chance they could fall outside the 8 or they could easily finish top 4 again. It's a risk. It's just a considerably more attractive option that the known current first rounder which will be equivalent to a second rounder (and don't pretend it isn't).

Two picks in the first round when they are later than pick #15 isn't off the mark for a near 24 year old former top ten pick with over 100 games experience and exposed the form justifying his draft selection. He'd be borderline untradeable if he were under contract.
agree - he is worth two firsts, cats will get it done, professional club, they know what they are getting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can people please stop posting nonsense about the preseason draft?

In the 0.01% chance a trade doesn't go through he would nominate for the national draft not the preseason draft to give him the best chance of getting to whichever club he nominates.

Richmond or North might take him if he's there in the preseason draft. Nobody is wasting a top 20 pick at the national draft on a guy with a big wage who doesn't want to be there.

Can people please stop posting nonsense about the preseason draft?

In the 0.01% chance a trade doesn't go through he would nominate for the national draft not the preseason draft to give him the best chance of getting to whichever club he nominates.

Richmond or North might take him if he's there in the preseason draft. Nobody is wasting a top 20 pick at the national draft on a guy with a big wage who doesn't want to be there.

Yeah wouldn’t he just put himself in the National Draft like Luke Ball did?
Which list manager is going to now use a 1st Round Pick on a guy who doesn’t want to be anywhere else but the place he wants to be?

It just seems like people want to play a trump card that basically never gets pulled. List managers aren’t in their emotions over perceived “unfairness” that isn’t even unfair.

Yeah wouldn’t he just put himself in the National Draft like Luke Ball did?
Which list manager is going to now use a 1st Round Pick on a guy who doesn’t want to be anywhere else but the place he wants to be?

It just seems like people want to play a trump card that basically never gets pulled. List managers aren’t in their emotions over perceived “unfairness” that isn’t even unfair.
The dogs board signed off on sending Dunkley to thr PSD. I wouldn't say it never happens.

Geelong should trade fairly instead of trying to bend other clubs over.

He's "not worth it now" and then when he lands at Geelong he will be the best thing since sliced bread and "we got him for dirt cheap ".

I would rather Smith go to the PSD than hand over two firsts.. He isn't worth that in 2024..I seriously doubt the cats will do it...

I would rather the AFL stopped f**king around with academy picks etc. that blow out first rounders into the mid-20s and massively dilute draft value year after year.

The dogs board signed off on sending Dunkley to thr PSD. I wouldn't say it never happens.

Geelong should trade fairly instead of trying to bend other clubs over.

He's "not worth it now" and then when he lands at Geelong he will be the best thing since sliced bread and "we got him for dirt cheap ".

I didn’t say it never happens? It’s happened before, but the likelihood of it happening is minimal.
It’s what people always go to when they want to try and save face because they don’t like the value they are hearing coming back.
Dunkley didn’t go to the PSD did he though? He was traded and it did happen so it’s irrelevant.

Also can you name these trades where Geelong didn’t trade “fairly”?
Pretty sure they get the deals done and it takes more than one side to sign off on it?

Genuinely curious?

I didn’t say it never happens? It’s happened before, but the likelihood of it happening is minimal.
It’s what people always go to when they want to try and save face because they don’t like the value they are hearing coming back.
Dunkley didn’t go to the PSD did he though? He was traded and it did happen so it’s irrelevant.

Also can you name these trades where Geelong didn’t trade “fairly”?
Pretty sure they get the deals done and it takes more than one side to sign off on it?

Genuinely curious?
Pretty trash trading with Henry and demanding a first rounder for a fringe player like Ratagulea and taking it down to the wire for picks right at the end of the draft.

Maybe you have different opinions on good trading g that will make clubs want to deal with Geelong. Old administration was fine, this one not so much

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back