Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean 10-20's. You might get one of those and a player or a later pick. Or maybe two picks around the mid 20's.

Geelong’s firsts will both be early 20 picks after academies, compensation etc.

That’s the dilemma.

Does pick 22 and 40ish sound accurate for Bailey Smith to you?

That’s the dilemma.

I wish I had your faith in my team's ability to win a prelim :)

That said, I think something closer to 15 would be fair.

The litmus test is, if he nominated for the national draft, where would he fall to? I'd be confident in the teens. I'd be less confident with, say, p22.

trying to be objective I think a pick just outside the top 10 would have basically got this done. 10-12 feels right to me. Geelong finishing the season strong and having a deep run is what has changed the playing field. If Geelong lose their prelim the picks is probably what, about pick 19-20?

So what would be the cost to upgrade it to that level. A mid to late second rounder probably doesnt get that deal done either.

trying to find something mildly comparative there was this last year
to Melbourne (from Gold Coast)

• pick #11
to Gold Coast (from Melbourne)

• pick #14
  • pick #27
  • pick #35

Geelong's current pick levels are well under that. It's going to have to be a first rounder with a suite of other stuff, or the other first will probably need to come into play in some fashion, with something going back.

Still think the easiest way this gets done is for Geelong to get Gold Coast to throw picks at them as per usual and just trade up to pick 12

(Log in to remove this ad.)

trying to find something mildly comparative there was this last year
to Melbourne (from Gold Coast)

• pick #11
to Gold Coast (from Melbourne)

• pick #14
  • pick #27
  • pick #35

Geelong's current pick levels are well under that. It's going to have to be a first rounder with a suite of other stuff, or the other first will probably need to come into play in some fashion, with something going back.

Still think the easiest way this gets done is for Geelong to get Gold Coast to throw picks at them as per usual and just trade up to pick 12
It's likely a trade similar with a club for a pick to satisfy dogs.

Something like pick 10 from from freo and F2 for 16 + F1. Freo will use that combo or a combo of picks and 27 for a Pickett trade or another target.

trying to be objective I think a pick just outside the top 10 would have basically got this done. 10-12 feels right to me. Geelong finishing the season strong and having a deep run is what has changed the playing field. If Geelong lose their prelim the picks is probably what, about pick 19-20?

So what would be the cost to upgrade it to that level. A mid to late second rounder probably doesnt get that deal done either.

This is what I spoke about yesterday.

Just looking at ideas here.
Cats effectively trade their 2024 1st (roughly pick 16-22) and the 2024 2nd and 3rd rounders for Gold Coast’s Pick 12 (which was the Dogs original pick in this draft) as they don’t want it sucked up by Academy Bid on Lombard and then GC have effectively their own Pick 6 plus the 2024 Cats First, Second and Third rounders for points this year on Lombard?

Cats then offer Gold Coast’s (realistically the Doggies) 2024 Pick for Smith?

Doggies get back into this draft with a pretty good 1st rounder
Cats get Smith
Gold Coast get points galore for Lombard while also protecting themselves from losing their other first rounder from an early bid. So they can still have effectively two first rounders this year.

Thoughts?

Cats effectively trade their 2024 1st (roughly pick 16-22) and the 2024 2nd and 3rd rounders for Gold Coast’s Pick 12 (which was the Dogs original pick in this draft) as they don’t want it sucked up by Academy Bid on Lombard and then GC have effectively their own Pick 6 plus the 2024 Cats First, Second and Third rounders for points this year on Lombard?

Cats get Smith
Gold Coast get points galore for Lombard while also protecting themselves from losing their other first rounder from an early bid. So they can still have effectively two first rounders this year.

Thoughts?

I think that would satisfy Dogs

yeah there's a bunch of ways this can play out that should be relatively satisfactory for both sides. As fun as it is to throw poo at each other in bigfooty threads, I dont think there's any need for any angst in here. Something will get worked out and it's not like this wont have been seen coming from both clubs. I'm sure some casual conversations have taken place at a minimum

I think that would satisfy Dogs

It would satisfy everyone.

Doggies back in the game in the first round with their own original pick (this draft bats deep as well so it’s not a bad pick even if it drops 2 spots)

Cats get their guy in Smith who gets a fresh start

Gold Coast still keep their Pick 6 while also having Cats 1st round Pick 16-22, Plus Cats 2nd and Third rounders on top of their own picks for points.

Seems fair for all. Don’t think anyone would complain about that as everyone gets what they want.

Cats get Smith

Thoughts?
Might happen. It depends if 12 is tied to rioli or not.

Can’t fault your optimism

I dont think its optimism. Might need a r3 or later pick swaps (or a fringe player) thrown in but its ballpark.
Most reasonable people agree that a) we wont get him for our 2024 r1 alone and b) we arent trading our future 1st and 2 x r1 for him. So given that what ive suggestes is the obvious middle ground.

That’s the dilemma.

A future 2nd will be well before 40 next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back