Baker charged with 'unduly rough play'

Remove this Banner Ad

Who cares rub him out for the rest of the season! We don't need little rats like that in the AFL! cheapest player i nthe afl at the moment!

What if Baker was running with Farmer behind him , Baker stops , jogs backwards , stops and moves his shoulder towards Farmer ?( and Farmer was not alert to the move by Baker )
This type of move happens all the time in footy .
The injury like Farmers doesn't , but it can happen if your not alert .

Rough play is the broadest charge you can use I suppose.

If someone gets their nose spread across their face, thats a bit rough. Could be from a strike, head but, knee...who knows.

So a Freo official says they saw the incident. It will be interesting to hear what Baker's angle on this is. If he gets cross examined by the tribunal and admits he was involved that will be it really, he gone. Unless he claims Farmer ran at him from behind and he turned and accidently elbowed him in the nose.....yeh right!!

Due to the extent of the injury if Baker admits he was involved he'll be out.

This is a bit of a weird one, surely he can't use the "Jon Brown Defence" and claim that it wasn't "In play" can he?
CHEWBACCA defense :eek:

200px-0330chewbacca.jpg

What if Baker was running with Farmer behind him , Baker stops , jogs backwards , stops and moves his shoulder towards Farmer ?( and Farmer was not alert to the move by Baker )
This type of move happens all the time in footy .
The injury like Farmers doesn't , but it can happen if your not alert .

That is exactly what a witness said happened

Lets face it. Anyone who understands even the most basic details of people being knocked out realises that it is highly unlikely that this was caused by an accidental collision. The force required to actually knock someone out either involves large blunt trauma, eg Johnsons perfectly executed bump on Bell, or a short sharp strike by a smaller yet better aimed object ,eg fist or elbow. To even say that somehow Baker stopped and Farmer 'ran into' his shoulder is just a euphimisim for saying Baker hip and shouldered him behind play. AFL can you get anything right? 7 and 10 gave you 3/4 of a billion dollars and you can't even keep your players safe, here you are spending a bomb trotting off to beat up the Irish amatuers every year and yet you haven't even got your own house in order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rough play is the broadest charge you can use I suppose.

If someone gets their nose spread across their face, thats a bit rough. Could be from a strike, head but, knee...who knows.

So a Freo official says they saw the incident. It will be interesting to hear what Baker's angle on this is. If he gets cross examined by the tribunal and admits he was involved that will be it really, he gone. Unless he claims Farmer ran at him from behind and he turned and accidently elbowed him in the nose.....yeh right!!

Due to the extent of the injury if Baker admits he was involved he'll be out.

My point is that in 2004, Brown was charged with Rough play. They didn't even bother contesting the actual act he comitted, but simply argued that what he did wasn't 'in play' and as such he couldn't be guilty of rough play.

My concern in this situation is that Baker could do the same thing. He could admit to belting him in the face, then turn around and say that it wasn't 'in play' and get off on the same technicality as Brown.

My point is that in 2004, Brown was charged with Rough play. They didn't even bother contesting the actual act he comitted, but simply argued that what he did wasn't 'in play' and as such he couldn't be guilty of rough play.

My concern in this situation is that Baker could do the same thing. He could admit to belting him in the face, then turn around and say that it wasn't 'in play' and get off on the same technicality as Brown.
The wording is fine. It was behind play, but "play" was still continuing as the siren hadn't sounded.

Jonathon Brown's defence in 2004 was that the siren had sounded, therefore "play" had been ceased for the time being when he slung(I think that's what he did) his opponent.

This is a bit of a weird one, surely he can't use the "Jon Brown Defence" and claim that it wasn't "In play" can he?

Surely not?

Michael Voss cant use his evidence surely after a guy says "I didn't see it" , then "I did see it." :rolleyes:

Inconclusive evidence, Baker gets off.

The wording is fine. It was behind play, but "play" was still continuing as the siren hadn't sounded.

Jonathon Brown's defence in 2004 was that the siren had sounded, therefore "play" had been ceased for the time being when he slung(I think that's what he did) his opponent.

finally someone who understands what I meant, and then clarified it for me as well :thumbsu:

I suspect you are 100% correct.

I saw the incident out the corner of my eye, it was baker 100% but not sure how he ko'd it could have been a back hander, or elbow, or a shirtfront, im pretty sure he had his back to farmer when it happend.

even if farmers remembers it the AFL cant use him, or Michaek Voss as witness (citing Judd/Brown case) players cant be relied apon to give evidence, there is no footage, no umpire saw it. so baker should get off and a week in credit for getting away with it.

He must get 4 or 5 weeks..he broke his nose and he was severly concussed, he couldnt play out the game and Jee is a tough little nut

Baker has a history of taking pot shots at people, this time hes been caught out, hopefully he learns his lesson

It was bad timing on his part, the week that Ben johnson gets suspened Baker has to front the tribunal, while they are totally different situations the tribunal would be in a pretty angry mood one would think and they will swing the hammer pretty hard.....expect 4 weeks atleast

I saw the incident out the corner of my eye, it was baker 100% but not sure how he ko'd it could have been a back hander, or elbow, or a shirtfront, im pretty sure he had his back to farmer when it happend.

even if farmers remembers it the AFL cant use him, or Michaek Voss as witness (citing Judd/Brown case) players cant be relied apon to give evidence, there is no footage, no umpire saw it. so baker should get off and a week in credit for getting away with it and a bonus of $5000 for knocking out a wife bashing drunk

ERR wrong!!

they interviewd Voss today!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Baker charged with 'unduly rough play'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back