Gus2Gumby

Senior List
Oct 27, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea, Suns, Raiders, Longhorns
Now is the time to lay it on the table and make official whose 'bandwagons' you are on and off for the 2008 season...

So in 6-12 months time, when people will inevitably say 'I told you so..!' we have a reference point...

ON:
Matty Knights
I must admit I felt a little empty when the announcement was made... Mainly due to the fact that Thompson and Harvey had been the names we were expecting to hear... However, after reading opinions from other posters and articles on Knighter I am very impressed with what he has to say and his plans for next season.... Very excited!
David Myers
On draft day I was praying to hear Rhys Palmer's name at number 6 even though it seemed certain that Myers was coming here... From the draft previews I had read, Myers was just a tall HBF'er... Not the area I thought we needed to address... However, I have been swayed by some (particularly 'Ryder Is God') and am excited about the role he could play in years to come...
Bachar Houli
I had a couple of Uni classes with Bash back when he was playing with the Jets... Great guy and works really hard... Have no doubts he will step up this year a crack the 22 regularly.

*Also my namesakes Angus Monfries and Scott Gumbleton... The future 'Superstar Duo' of the EFC! I'm driving those Bandwagons! :p

OFF:
Ricky Dyson
Wasn't impressed when he was given a 2 year deal... Maybe Knights saw something I didn't (bar one or two good, but not great, games)...
Adam Ramanauskas
As much as I respect the bloke... I think he is on the decline... Can't be picked in the 22 based on heart and determination every week... Although a solid pre-season could turn it all around...
Jason Johnson
Only reason he wasn't delisted was because of the 1 year remaining on his contract... Doubt he will get many games in Knight's new fast paced system... Could win the Bendigo B&F...

Although, I hope all those guys prove me wrong...

I'm jumpin' on the Courtenay Dempsey bandwagon !! I wrecken he has a good chance of winning the Rising Star Award if he has an injury free pre season / season......

ON: Davey-could poll a lot of votes if Essendon win heaps of games.

OFF: Johns-should be last year unless he improves heaps

On the Paddy Ryder becoming a superstar bandwagon. Jumped on long ago and have enjoyed the ride up till now. On the Hislop, Houli, Monfries, Dempsey becoming our top midfielders bandwagon too.
Jumped off Dyson. Want Peverill and Johnson to get no game time in our midfield so ive jumped right off them. Time for the kids to come through.

ON - Dempsey - Superstar in the making
- Gus - Will do well this year. Has what all great players have. Courage.
- Pears - Like the looks of him.
- Daniher - Like the looks of him to. Hopefully he'll get over his injury without too many hassles.
- Neagle - Loved his debut. Will be a great player for the club.

OFF - No-one.

I'm on the Dyson and Johns bandwagon, I'm praying they prove the masses wrong.

In addition, I'm on the Matthew Lloyd bandwagon where I'm hoping he'll be back to his best in 2008.

My other main bandwagon is Jobe Watson, the guy that I think will lead the midfield from the front in '08.

And for the sake of it, I'm on with Jetta, Gumbleton, Hislop, Ryder, Dempsey, Neagle and Myers; the future of our club.

But hey, I'm on just about everyone's bandwagon.

ON: Pat Ryder: This guy will become one of the AFL's superstars. He's versatile and moves brilliantly for a guy his size.

Brent Stanton: He's been getting better ever since day 1. He will keep on improving and become one of the game's very good midfielders.

Andrew Lovett: Ready for a big season.

Courtney Johns: Needs to get REGULAR time at centre half-forward, and he will own that spot.

Off: Nobody springs to mind, but if I HAD to choose one, I'd say Hille. I think we've got other talls that are more versatile. Eg: Laycock, Gumbleton, Ryder and old mate Fletcher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm only on the Jay Nash Bandwagon at the moment, mainly because he's going to be the next James Hird or Nathan Buckley, he really riminds me of Nathan in a lot of ways, he's got great skill, great balance and has the most acurate kick I have seen at essendon....

Been on Laycock for ages said he would be our number 1 ruckmen by round 11 last year, wasn't quiet right but i don't think i was far off. Iam on his bandwagon in an even bigger way this year providing he is injury free he will go close to AA. People will laugh at that but we shall see next year.

Also winders to prove how good he is to others apart from dons supporters and andrew welsh to play very very good footy next year, down forward on the running defender.

Off mcphee seriously hope he proves me wrong but he just hasn't been able to put good games in a row, he plays well one week and shocking the next.

On:

Matthew Knights - I was a Sheedy fan, and was disappointed when he was let go. And I was shocked when Knights, and not Hardwick's name was announced. However he's already shown enough to me to suggest he was the better candidate. I'm bullish.

Jobe Watson
- He works hard to improve his game, such as his disposal by foot. He's slimmed up, and I think he's got the right mental attitude to take the next step.

Courtney Dempsey - Provided he can get his body right, I think he'll be a star.

Bachor Houli
- After seeing him turn 2 opposition players inside-out and make a great delivery in a pre-season game last year, and his fitness and work ethic, I believe he has what it takes to become a decent player.

Off:

Peverill & Johnson - While they still have something to offer, I think he'll be overtaken by the younger brigade this year.

Jury Still Out:

Courtney Johns - His last chance. I believe he has the ability to make it, but he has yet to own a game, and become somewhat consistent. He played a couple of shockers last year (most players will), but there were too many quiet games.

Ricky Dyson - He showed a couple glimpses of what he's capable of, but is inconsistent. He's a fringe player in my opinion. I wouldn't have given him 2 years.

Angas Monfries - 2007 was fairly quiet for him. I'm still not sure he's the 'answer' for the mid-field woes. If he improves it will be on the back of his unquestionable work ethic.

On: Knights, Jetta (natural skill and ability imo he will be a star), Hocking (training the house down and really wants to work hard)
I would have put dempsey in their but i just cant trust him to stay injury free and i want my wagon to be filled with players i think could play out a year

Off: Dyson (shouldnt have been re-signed imo), Peverill (Knights seems to think skills are essential and peverill just doesnt have them up to the quality of afl football), Johns (with mal, fletcher, ryder NTL etc our backline seems too tall for him to play a part and likewise for the forward line, he will need to hit some pretty good form to be given much gametime)

ON - Jetta, Dempsey, Neagle, Hocking, Jason Johnson, McPhee

The ones I'm off, I was already off.
Pev and Dyson.

Think people are about 12 months too early on Houli.

There is something that keeps on coming up that I just don't get.

Why do people continually jump off the Peverill bandwagon? Not just in this thread but everywhere, you read Peverill is past his used-by-date.

Let's have a quick look at his 2007.

Round 1: Very good against Adelaide in Essendon's five-goal win. Third-best player.

Round 3: In the best players in Essendon's disappointing loss to the Blues.

Round 4: Clearly best-on-ground in Essendon's 31-point victory over St Kilda.

Round 6: Among the best players' list against Hawthorn.

Round 7: Again among the best, this time against the 'Roos.

Round 8: In the best - second best-on in fact - in the thrilling one-point win over West Coast.

Round 12: Average game, but still manages two goals against Port.

Round 15: Third best-on against the Dogs.

Round 16: Third best-on again, this time against Collingwood.

Round 17: Yet again is the third best player on the ground, this time against Adelaide.

Round 22: Again figures among the best players.

Now surely some of the other guys were nowhere near as effective as Pev?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bandwagon Time...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back