Bangladesh 2020 u19 win - Chappell & Taylor comment

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't see the issue either. Comes across badly if you just take it out of context as though it's the first and only thing they said about it but I doubt that's the case. A lot of players don't translate U-19's success into a successful top level career (just see the Lloyd Pope WC hype and subsequent comedown at state level).

Don't see the issue either. Comes across badly if you just take it out of context as though it's the first and only thing they said about it but I doubt that's the case. A lot of players don't translate U-19's success into a successful top level career (just see the Lloyd Pope WC hype and subsequent comedown at state level).
Key to age group cricket is consistency. At most 3 players from a squad will make it so you have to be around the mark year in year out

Totally downplayed achievement & it was an achievement; only established nations have won tournament. Australia last won in 2010 with 4 players who are still part of our current international setup.
Nobody is expecting the nation to be immediate world beaters or current fast bowlers to suddenly get better, so it's ridiculous to bring that up.
Biggest win for Bangladesh so far & from where they've come from shows progress

Key to age group cricket is consistency. At most 3 players from a squad will make it so you have to be around the mark year in year out

Australia's strike rate is better than that. Seems most of the very elite like Smith & Clarke all feature.

Interesting most of Australian players are born in September through to December which must be start of age deadline for cricket & means players born in those months are older.

Australia's strike rate is better than that. Seems most of the very elite like Smith & Clarke all feature.

Interesting most of Australian players are born in September through to December which must be start of age deadline for cricket & means players born in those months are older.
That’s the all relative age effect

Totally downplayed achievement & it was an achievement; only established nations have won tournament. Australia last won in 2010 with 4 players who are still part of our current international setup.
Nobody is expecting the nation to be immediate world beaters or current fast bowlers to suddenly get better, so it's ridiculous to bring that up.

Established nations?

Bangladesh have been a Test team for 21 years. They ARE an established nation. Within 14 years of gaining Test status Sri Lanka had won a senior 50 over world cup. They had won a Test series against India within 4 years. Beaten NZ and England at home within 10, NZ away within 13, Pakistan away within 15, won away in England within 17, at home to Australia within 18, and had a 9 match winning streak in their 20th.

I love the Bangladeshis and see them continuing on an upward trajectory in Test and ODI cricket but how long do you give them before they're considered established?

Established nations?

Bangladesh have been a Test team for 21 years. They ARE an established nation. Within 14 years of gaining Test status Sri Lanka had won a senior 50 over world cup. They had won a Test series against India within 4 years. Beaten NZ and England at home within 10, NZ away within 13, Pakistan away within 15, won away in England within 17, at home to Australia within 18, and had a 9 match winning streak in their 20th.

I love the Bangladeshis and see them continuing on an upward trajectory in Test and ODI cricket but how long do you give them before they're considered established?
To be fair Bangladesh was definitely rushed into Test status (can't remember details but when I read on it I felt the vibe was that India pushed for them to be fast tracked to get a supporter in the ICC, could have been a biased report I was reading though) and probably could be regarded as not coming into their own until years after technically getting Test status.

This comment from Ian Chappell is interesting

"I was asked recently about my progress through the under-age levels and I replied that I was fortunate that I didn't go through that system," he said.

"I played in the U/14 carnival as a 12-year-old, but then once I made the first eleven at Prince Alfred College, I was playing against men from the time I was 14. To me that was a far better preparation than playing U/17 or U/19 cricket.

Echo's a similar interview I heard from Michael Clarke not long after his retirement on the radio (assuming ABC) and they asked what was the biggest leap in his career and he said going from playing boys to men. Not grade cricket to shield cricket, or shield to test cricket. The leap from belting up on other junior cricketers to whom you are vastly superior, to finding an adult grade where - at least at that point in time - most of the opposition players are more or less at your level (if not better) is the leap I reckon the majority of professional cricketers would agree was their biggest.

This comment from Ian Chappell is interesting

Echo's a similar interview I heard from Michael Clarke not long after his retirement on the radio (assuming ABC) and they asked what was the biggest leap in his career and he said going from playing boys to men. Not grade cricket to shield cricket, or shield to test cricket. The leap from belting up on other junior cricketers to whom you are vastly superior, to finding an adult grade where - at least at that point in time - most of the opposition players are more or less at your level (if not better) is the leap I reckon the majority of professional cricketers would agree was their biggest.

More in line with Chappell's view that there should be less test teams. Clearly a big step for Bangalesh but he can't give them credit.

On the u19 championships take a look at the squads & you'll see names like Lara, Kohli, Clarke... & on & on. Not everybody makes it but to say it's irrelevant is completely wrong.
Reminds me of IAAF junior championships in athletics. Winning there is no guarantee of senior success but all Aussie champions (freeman, hooker, pittman, Pearson etc) did well there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More in line with Chappell's view that there should be less test teams. Clearly a big step for Bangalesh but he can't give them credit.

On the u19 championships take a look at the squads & you'll see names like Lara, Kohli, Clarke... & on & on. Not everybody makes it but to say it's irrelevant is completely wrong.
Reminds me of IAAF junior championships in athletics. Winning there is no guarantee of senior success but all Aussie champions (freeman, hooker, pittman, Pearson etc) did well there.

There's a few things worth noting about the step up and what it means.

In under 19s cricket, with the occasional exception, most of the quicks bowl roughly the same speed. Bangladesh's fast bowlers at that level would be roughly similar in pace and strength to the quicks from most of the other teams. So they aren't at any disadvantage. When it gets to Test cricket, their quicks are a lot slower than the 25-30 year olds in the other teams who are routinely breaking 140kph. When they can translate their under19s quicks into senior fast bowlers who either can swing the ball miles or can bowl faster, that will go a long way to translating their under 19s results at the top level.

Also under 19s players haven't yet had the benefit or drawbacks of their national first class system so the playing field is totally unaffected by that

You make a good point.

I think both Taylor and Chappell could have given the Bangladeshi's some more credit for the achievement.

It is a huge deal for them and world cricket.

Just the way the article is framed focuses on other aspects that are more critical. Taylor and Chappell easily could have responded with more positivity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bangladesh 2020 u19 win - Chappell & Taylor comment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back