pinkus maximus

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2003
?
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stephen Hill
Anyone see the news where it said that umpires are now checking what type of sweets players are carrying in their pockets before games? It happened in NSW apparantly

Yze_Class said:
What is the world coming too?

Well, the different sugars CAN give a bowler an unfair edge, if used properly...and don't bet against them looking for that edge

In baseball, players have tried all sorts of things to alter the ball to give an edge....saliva, hair cream, vaseline, and, to scuff up a ball, sharpened belt buckles, rings etc.

Shouldn't have to come down to that, but it is an attempt to alter the game- fortunately, you have not gotten into corked bats yet

usalion said:
Shouldn't have to come down to that, but it is an attempt to alter the game- fortunately, you have not gotten into corked bats yet
Would corking a cricket bat actually help it? I would think not, then again, i don't know.

Are they actually using the lolly and rubbing it on the ball?

YOTC said:
Would corking a cricket bat actually help it? I would think not, then again, i don't know.

Are they actually using the lolly and rubbing it on the ball?

I remember Dravid rubbing what looked like a cough lollie on a ball a couple of years ago but its just the combination of sugar and saliva

pinkus maximus said:
I remember Dravid rubbing what looked like a cough lollie on a ball a couple of years ago but its just the combination of sugar and saliva
Oh ok, but still, its not a natural juice ;)

The umpires checked the lollies the Blues had as mentioned in a previous post

They didnt mind them having lollies, what they were checking is what brands they were

There is a brand from ENGLAND that they are cracking down on

Food for thought - Re Flintoff etc etc

LIONS then DAYLIGHT said:
The umpires checked the lollies the Blues had as mentioned in a previous post

They didnt mind them having lollies, what they were checking is what brands they were

There is a brand from ENGLAND that they are cracking down on

Food for thought - Re Flintoff etc etc

Did you see the vision of Bracken swinging the ball against SA in that report?

It was going a mile

STOP PRESS

VERY INTERESTING ARTICLE
obtained from foxsports.com.au
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trick that won the Ashes
By Nikki Tugwell
October 20, 2005

NATHAN Bracken has revealed the secret of the England bowlers' magical reverse swing ... Minties.

The art of reverse swing has gripped world cricket since England's Ashes victory in which Andrew Flintoff and Simon Jones stunned the Australians by making the ball reverse more effectively than the world No.1 Test side could.

After the Ashes, Cricket Australia sent an email to all state chief executives, coaches and umpires reinforcing laws governing ball tampering and offering suggestions to stop bowlers trying illegal or suspect methods to age the ball and make it reverse swing.

Yesterday left-arm swing bowler Bracken claimed "breath mints" making the saliva sugary and rubbed into one side of the ball is common practice in England.

"In England all the mints, like just a breath mint that you put in your mouth, apparently makes your saliva very sugary and that's what the talk is about," Bracken told radio 2KY

"When I played at Gloucester a couple of years ago, as soon as we needed the ball to go reverse the captains were called and they'd bring out some of these mints and it worked."

Bracken, 28, did not suggest the likes of Flintoff and Jones had engaged in any illegal conduct and would not divulge the brand name of the mints in question.

Law 42.3 states it is "unfair for anyone to rub the ball on the ground for any reason, interfere with any of the seams or the surface of the ball, use any implement, or take any other action whatsoever which is likely to alter the condition of the ball".

Shoaib Akhtar was the last international cricketer banned for ball tampering in 2003.

Advertisement:
Pakistan's paceman was first found guilty of cheating in this manner in a Test against Zimbabwe in Harare in 2002.
He was handed a two-match ban after repeating the illegal practice the following year in a one-dayer in Sri Lanka against New Zealand.

In 2001, India's Sachin Tendulkar was fined and handed a suspended one-match ban after being found guilty of ball tampering during the second Test in South Africa.

In 2000, Waqar Younis received a one-match suspension and fined 50 per cent of his match fee for lifting the seam in a Singer Cup game against South Africa in Sri Lanka.

And in 1994, Mike Atherton was involved in the "dirt in the pocket" affair at Lord's playing against South Africa.

TV footage showed Atherton apparently rubbing something onto the ball and he was subsequently fined pound stg. 2000.

Officials have been on alert to detect any plots to interfere with the ball, even going so far as to inspect team confectionary supplies before play.

"Every team has lollies and things like that and we had our lollies checked before the first game to make sure that there was nothing illegal that we had," Bracken said.

With Shaun Tait injured, Bracken is in Australian selectors calculations for the first Test against the West Indies at the Gabba on November 3, along with NSW teammate Stuart Clark.

Bracken played in the limited overs series against the World XI and is currently preparing to play South Australia in the ING Cup on Sunday at Bankstown Oval.

It was against South Australia last December that Bracken took a remarkable 7/4 to rout the visitors for 29 at the SCG.

The Daily Telegraph

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very Very Suspicious

Funny how Warne was spotted at Old Trafford with mints down his socks wasn't it? And doesn't he do some ball shining for Australia????

It is pretty inconclusive, no evidence, but if it is happening, Everyones at it!

The brand from what I saw in pokeing out of Warnes sock looked like, Trebor Extra Strong.

Trebor1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Legendary RB said:
Funny how Warne was spotted at Old Trafford with mints down his socks wasn't it? And doesn't he do some ball shining for Australia????

It is pretty inconclusive, no evidence, but if it is happening, Everyones at it!

The brand from what I saw in pokeing out of Warnes sock looked like, Trebor Extra Strong.
You are missing the point, why would Warne want reverse swing?

It's like giving Stuart MacGill a bat, he don't need it anyways.

Warne was ball shining for Australia, when the seamers were bowling and the ball was old.

I am not expecting anyone on here to say it might of been a possibility Warne was using the assistance of mints when ball shining. No one it seems is big enough to accept Australia's defeat like men. Move on.

Sorry, I had to get that out.

The Legendary RB said:

Trebor1.jpg

No one has said anything about any lollies in warnes sock

Hell, its Shane Warne, it he looks sideways at a female his on front page of the papers for the next month.

If he got caught with mints down his sock he would be crucified,

Your excuse that everyone's at it is rubbish

We Have HARD EVIDENCE

Nathan Bracken has come out and said with his stint at some english county side that they were doing it

You can bet your house england would have been doing it too

Even so, Explain to me how England got the ball to move so much???

Ive been watching england's series at home for the last few years and i''ve watch their away tours including the games against SA last December

The ball was not moving then, so whats changed

If it is true, which im 80% sure it is happening in England, It IS NOTHING SHORT OF AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE

:mad: :mad:

The Legendary RB said:
Warne was ball shining for Australia, when the seamers were bowling and the ball was old.

What about Flintoff clawing at the ball, you guys on TMS said that CH 4 kept a camera on Flintoff the whole day to see how you got the ball to swing

They caught him red-handed clawing at one side of the ball

That idiot simon hughes asked freddie about it and they both laughed it off

ITS ALL COMING OUT NOW :mad: :mad:

The Legendary RB said:

Trebor1.jpg

Is there vision of this? I dont remember seeing him with any mints down his sock

The Legendary RB said:
:rolleyes:

Any answer to why Warne had mints down his socks?

I've got no idea, i spose to chew on them

The fact is England got the ball to move so much, it almost seem un-natural

Explain to me how england all of a sudden got the ball to move like that when they haven't in the past

Answer:- They've tampered with the ball, just like athers did back in 1994, leopards never change their stripes :mad: :mad:

The Legendary RB said:
So you are basically admitting it?

Jesus wept, accept Australia's Ashes defeat like men.
no, i havent even heard of this. You must have gotten it from an english tabloid.

We lost, but we didnt lose fairly.

pinkus maximus said:
Is there vision of this? I dont remember seeing him with any mints down his sock

They showed it on Channel 4 here in the UK during the Lunch Break programme.

He took out a mint, put it in his mouth, and put the mints back in his sock. The next thing we know he is ball shining using his saliva.

If you want hard evidence, that is more conclusive than some specutlation in a newspaper article.

pinkus maximus said:

No-one else has seen it but this guy

If warney does so much as clogs the dunny its on front page news

It would have been on CNN if the great man had been caught with mints down his socks

Remove this Banner Ad

Banning Lollies?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back