domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Months ago, when the AFL was focusing on making certain once foundational football actions illegal in order to protect players from concussion, I suggested the next step would be the banning of the use of the knee in high marking as this routinely leads to concussion and serious injuries and I was derided as an idiot and my suggestion was considered as too ridiculous to even contemplate as a possibility.

Now, after our captain has seriously injured two players in the past three games with his knee in marking contests, we have Leigh Matthews saying he would consider banning the use of the knee in a marking contest. Leigh bloody Matthews of all people. This man always speaks bluntly and means what he says. If a player who thrived on the physical side of our game and often crossed the line is openly advocating for the banning of the knee to be on the table as an issue for the rules committee, I feel a deep fear for the game I love.

Will never happen. Concussion the biggest issue in footy at the moment and there hasn’t been any talk about the knee to the back of the head some players (ie Ryan) get in pack marking situations.

The footy media have to talk about something.

I get this is as good a topic as anything, especially with the competition so close, the bottom teams (North, WCE, Hawks) starting to find form. St Kilda doing poorly is hardly new news. And Richmond languishing doesn’t provide much fodder given that they have a rookie coach and three additions to the trophy cabinet to show for their recent efforts.

I reckon this’ll be driven by the lower levels. If high school kids get ruptured spleens and/or cracked vertebrae then the AFL will do something.

Whilst it’s a few injuries amongst a season of around 5000 person games (23 per team X 9 games per round X 23 rounds per season) the AFL just put it down to “footy act”

Physicality is one of the most attractive parts of our great game. Sadly it seems we are getting closer and closer to a touch sport. 10 years ago we were saying we can't get rid of the bump, it's just about been eradicted from the game now and the average fan understands the concerns around concussion.

Last year the smother by lifting off the ground came into contention after the Maynard incident. How long before the knee becomes a talking point and we need to mitigate that action?

It's just inveitable. Unfortunately even for the games traditionlists it's hard to argue against when such serious injuries are being caused.

Physicality is one of the most attractive parts of our great game. Sadly it seems we are getting closer and closer to a touch sport. 10 years ago we were saying we can't get rid of the bump, it's just about been eradicted from the game now and the average fan understands the concerns around concussion.

Last year the smother by lifting off the ground came into contention after the Maynard incident. How long before the knee becomes a talking point and we need to mitigate that action?

It's just inveitable. Unfortunately even for the games traditionlists it's hard to argue against when such serious injuries are being caused.
Don't play if you are not willing to risk injury and sometimes serious life changing injuries.

Why not just ban jumping in the game 2 feet off the ground free kick. People always get injured playing a contact sport they know the risks involved starting to get ridiculous now.

Months ago, when the AFL was focusing on making certain once foundational football actions illegal in order to protect players from concussion, I suggested the next step would be the banning of the use of the knee in high marking as this routinely leads to concussion and serious injuries and I was derided as an idiot and my suggestion was considered as too ridiculous to even contemplate as a possibility.

Now, after our captain has seriously injured two players in the past three games with his knee in marking contests, we have Leigh Matthews saying he would consider banning the use of the knee in a marking contest. Leigh bloody Matthews of all people. This man always speaks bluntly and means what he says. If a player who thrived on the physical side of our game and often crossed the line is openly advocating for the banning of the knee to be on the table as an issue for the rules committee, I feel a deep fear for the game I love.
Typically just another knee jerk reaction to a non issue given the low risk.
Knees have been lifted in say 20 marks per game so 180 per round. So far we’ve therefore had close to 3,000 incidents in 16 rounds.
And had 1 serious injury.
Just absolute rubbish that this is now an issue.

It’s banned in over 35s, but nobody can get that high off the ground anyway
Played over 35s for a long time. A newly 35 yo who had just finished senior footy and could play turned up for his 1st match. Took a massive hanger over his opponent on the wing, it was really high. Umpire blows his whistle, free kick against. Our guys head nearly exploded when the ump told him no hangers. Only played 1 game of over 35s.

Knees have been lifted in say 20 marks per game so 180 per round. So far we’ve therefore had close to 3,000 incidents in 16 rounds.

If they do ban it Billy or Bobby will win the mark of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The footy media have to talk about something.

I get this is as good a topic as anything, especially with the competition so close, the bottom teams (North, WCE, Hawks) starting to find form. St Kilda doing poorly is hardly new news. And Richmond languishing doesn’t provide much fodder given that they have a rookie coach and three additions to the trophy cabinet to show for their recent efforts.

I reckon this’ll be driven by the lower levels. If high school kids get ruptured spleens and/or cracked vertebrae then the AFL will do something.

Whilst it’s a few injuries amongst a season of around 5000 person games (23 per team X 9 games per round X 23 rounds per season) the AFL just put it down to “footy act”
It's a fantastic topic for the media to talk about. It's going to trigger people and get them clicking and raise advertising revenue.

More than 1. Beau, Petracca and witts off the top of my head just in Collingwood games.

I'm more interested in finding out why other teams aren't having players out with concussion protocols. We seem to be having one every couple of games. But then we're doing what the AFL wants every club to do....other teams, not so much.

Could ban kicking the footy. Angus Brayshaw's first concussion was from getting hit in the head with a Sherrin kicked by Alex Neal-Bullen. Dees fans should boo Neal-Bullen whenever he's got the footy.

I'm more interested in finding out why other teams aren't having players out with concussion protocols. We seem to be having one every couple of games. But then we're doing what the AFL wants every club to do....other teams, not so much.
Some clubs don't even seem to be taking players off the ground to test them after a head knock during the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back