Barry Hall - Could Paul Roos Play Him In The Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
As the title suggests. Alot of people have been talking about whether we need or even want Barry Hall in the Swans forward line when he comes back. Would it be a option for Paul Roos to put Hall in the midfield like Wallace has done for Richardson (who is in close to career best form).

Would anyone care to speculate how Hall would go in the midfield?

As the title suggests. Alot of people have been talking about whether we need or even want Barry Hall in the Swans forward line when he comes back. Would it be a option for Paul Roos to put Hall in the midfield like Wallace has done for Richardson (who is in close to career best form).

Would anyone care to speculate how Hall would go in the midfield?
Not a bad thought,what about the wing,Goodes on one and Hall on the other just imagine both of them pinging up and down the ground it would cause havoc.
This means Henry goes out and Cheese to the forward line.

Don't like it. Richo is a more athletic type who wins contests by having a great leap and great hands, whereas Hall wins them more out of brute strength and ability to shrug off the forty defenders hanging off his shoulders. Hall's style is far more suited to the forward line than Richo's. Richo could play anywhere and go alright though.

Don't like it. Richo is a more athletic type who wins contests by having a great leap and great hands, whereas Hall wins them more out of brute strength and ability to shrug off the forty defenders hanging off his shoulders. Hall's style is far more suited to the forward line than Richo's. Richo could play anywhere and go alright though.

I agree. Hall also has fantastic agility and ground level skills for a bloke of his size but he simply wouldn't have the motor to play on a wing or in the midfield.

Having said that though.... It could be an idea to shift him up the ground when things aren't going our way and the balls not coming inside 50 enough.

Remember when eade played Lockett in the ruck?

Since our Forward Line is working ok at the moment we should move Leo Barry into the midfield and play Barry Hall at CHB. It would be kind of interesting to see how Hall would go against players like Brown, Fevola and Franklin :D

C.H.B! A natural defender, great kick, provide great run and carry from the backline, wont have to turn as much either, just needs the right mind set!

That was more out of desperation than anything. Barry Hall would actually be a much better ruckman than Lockett was. Wouldn't be the worst move to make every now and then.

It wasn't the most successful move but just thought it was a relevant discussion point. Jonathan Brown going into the middle for the lions a few years ago is another one. You don't like to see players like that played out of their best position but IMO coaches should think outside the square a little more sometimes when things aren't going their way and just throw the best players on the ball and see what happens.

Sorry guys not a snowflakes chance IMO!

At start of season at time of resign captaincy said needs to concentrate on extending his career and midfield would do the opposite

With exception of Davis is the most accurate shot for goal in team and would have won a Coleman had he not deliberately tried to be unselfish!

But maybe the occasional breif say 10 min change might make then a bit less predicatable particularly if being double tagged.

It would make any opposition forward lose a little concentration if suddenly BBBBH tapped them on the shoulder, trod on their toes and said "gooday"!

i think everyone is forgetting how bad we play the first 4 rounds not this year but every year for a last 4 or so years. i think once hall comes back in the delivery will be good through the middle and everything will be a o k.
was watching on the couch on monday and all 3 panel forgot to mention that one fact.

but on a side not i think with chf being bypassed a fair bit the kick to chb and then run out of defence i think there is a new position for big players with a good mark and big tank like richo, tarrent, goodes etc. it use to be chf u need to mark the ball and control it but now its at chb u need the option to take a mark and alot of teams fall down when they cant hit a target clear, so having a player like richo would take that out of the equation beacuse if he can run and get one on one he will take it most times.

I dont get why everyone is so worried about Baz ruining the forward line?

He has always played CHF and got a lot of the ball on the wing. He only played in the goal square last year because he couldnt run or see. He was outstanding this year before he knocked mistaker out.

Get excited, he will add heaps to the team, and will be fitter than ever.

There was no complaining at the start of the year about Bazza... Last year it was obvious he was injured. This year leading up to that 'incident' he's been in career best form. If anything he's going to add to an even bigger headache for the opposition.

Playfair was doing Bazza's job.

I'm looking forward to next week's game. Hopefully it won't be lik rd 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are scoring more and performing better over the past 6 weeks cause the whole side has lifted and we are getting good run from CHB through the midefiled now.

With Goodes hunting Charlie #3 BBBH in the foward line will top up a side that is looking pretty good at this stage.

Now I've said that I hope we smash those weagles tonight.

Baz has a big engine for a strong tall forward and he is capable of leading and presenting a fair way up the ground and when needed to in the past he has. But using him in a traditional midfield role does not suit his playing style and would wear him into the ground pretty quickly in a match.

A CHF can make their way up the ground and I think this probably suits him better.

CHF is his posi.. His speed comes from those bursts that he's so damaging on. Barry will always get double teamed so we'll always have a man loose somewhere..

Bazza's prob the best thing that can happen for us.

I remember when Blight played him in defence. It was a disaster.

I know he gives away too many frees, but like i said before, hed have to change his mindset, anyway, I just want to see him 'ragdoll' the competitions tall forwards, especially Mooney!
I cant see him playing anywhere different than he has been, but Im pretty sure, they will give him a run elsewhere, try to run him into form quicker, its gonna be like letting a bull out, god help the players in the first pack hes gonna crash!

I know he gives away too many frees, but like i said before, hed have to change his mindset, anyway, I just want to see him 'ragdoll' the competitions tall forwards, especially Mooney!
I cant see him playing anywhere different than he has been, but Im pretty sure, they will give him a run elsewhere, try to run him into form quicker, its gonna be like letting a bull out, god help the players in the first pack hes gonna crash!

I may be wrong but i think we will find Bazza's day's of being the strong man may be over,umpire's will be even more onto him and opposition player's will push his button's quite well knowing he cannot risk getting reported and being another Phil Carman and being umpired out of the game..

Just my thought's..

to anyone who thinks Barry does not belong in our Forward set up. during the first half it looked pretty stagnent tonight.

When the midfiled dont quite sing as loudley as they have in the past few weeks we need Hall in there to make a contest and get the set up moving. Sure the replacements have done a good job recently but we will be stronger for his presance up front.

After last night's match I think that BBB would be best suited to the team at CHF.Our full forward line was mostly starved last night because we were being held up at half forward.

Hall should play along the half forward line so he can still get the oppositions best defender. That'll leave henry to play up forward more to pop up as an extra target up there. Been looking forward for hall to come back and hope he plays a great game against the saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Barry Hall - Could Paul Roos Play Him In The Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back